Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#135921 - 06/13/08 05:01 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Arney]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I really wouldn't miss the Naked Cowboy, because I have avoided him to date.

#135943 - 06/13/08 06:11 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Dan_McI]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I believe I would rather encounter the Naked Cowgirl...

#135950 - 06/13/08 06:27 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
There are several of those over at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. grin

#135953 - 06/13/08 06:31 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: DesertFox]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
You can come to NYC to see her in person, or she has a website: http://www.nakedcowgirlny.com/

#136054 - 06/14/08 02:10 AM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Tjin]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Originally Posted By: PC2K
Originally Posted By: beadles

The trick is to keep it out of you - keep your N95 mask handy.

Well there is a hazard of radiation particles builing up in the mask itself, which will become a source of radiation. So don't forget to replace the mask after awhile. it will safe you from a unhealthy dose of radiation near your face.

If hazmat does it for you, you'll wind up naked, hopefully wrapped in a blanket.

They don't carry spare clothing for victims? I have been decontaminated three times as a civilian and we always get a pack of replacement clothing.

Problems with that assumption, is 1: that it depends on what the local hazmat team / hospital district has stocked and 2: It'd have to depend on the scale of the event. Our class was for the local Medical Reserve Corps and for local health service to raise awareness of these issues for mass casualty incidents. They didn't seem to think it was a given at all. We were being warned that it need to be taken into account lest your local news helicopers get prime time video of naked, wet people standing around.

Originally Posted By: PC2K

Bare minimum, if you think you've been anywhere near exposure, be prepared to throw your clothing in a sealed plastic bag, and wash down thoroughly with warm (not hot) soap and water. Also, be aware that contact lenses can absorb chemicals, so be prepared to get them out ASAP. I found this out the hard way, while finishing some home built furniture with spray polyurathane.

Well not always with water, some chemicals contamination can be worsed by washing with water. But in generall MOST (not all) decontamination van be done with soapy water. Although you should keep the water temperature in the 25- 35 Celcius zone (depending on the weather conditions). To hot and your pores open allowing chemicals to enter, to cold is bad too...

Good point. Our class covered mostly the possible terror attack weapons, not the full range of possible contaminants. Our Hazmat instructor kept reciting "Dilution is the Solution to the Pollution", heh.

#136055 - 06/14/08 02:20 AM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: OldBaldGuy]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
No joke! For anybody who isn't familiar with the autoinjectors, (and I wasn't), it consists of two spring loaded syringes that you separately jam into your thigh muscle. The spring plungers take time to inject, and we were instructed to do a 10 second countdown before removing the needle. The smaller injector is atropine, the larger contains 2ccs of 2-PAM Cloride, basically an amount about the size of your thumb.

That's gotta be a long 10 seconds.

#136056 - 06/14/08 02:27 AM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: beadles]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

And we were lucky. My wife, who hates needles by the way, was in the Navy. In the early '70's. She got picked several times to demonstrate the U.S. Navy's state of the art "anti-nerve gas' fixer-upper for the troops. Theirs consisted of a tube, kindasorta like a mini-toothpaste tube, with long semi-sharp spout/needle. Attached was a long wire to insert down that spout to puncture the seal, (think little tube of caulking). Then jab that spout/needle in to the thigh and squeeze the goodies into you. For some reason she did not like doing that. And it makes the auto-injector sound pretty nice indeed...

#136058 - 06/14/08 02:31 AM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: beadles]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I watched the fire guys hose down an elderly couple on the Antelope Valley Frwy one night in Dec. Stripped them naked and blasted them with a two inch line. I gave them a couple of plastic "body blankets" to cover themselve with...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 267 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.