Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#135859 - 06/13/08 12:16 PM Re: 4 Boy Scouts die as tornado hits Iowa camp [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Definitely a big tribute to the usefulness of the scouting program. I'm proud to be associated with the group.

#135862 - 06/13/08 12:46 PM Re: 4 Boy Scouts die as tornado hits Iowa camp [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I saw a couple of the surviving scouts on one of the morning talk shows a little while ago. I must say that they appeared to be much calmer and collected than most adults would be after going thru what they went thru...

That is what I would expect from a group of older Scouts. Either the Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge or the Life Saving Merit Badge must be earned before a scout can reach the Rank of Eagle Scout. First Aid Merit Badge is also required.

The requirements for the Emergency Prep Merit Badge are listed at:

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Emergency_Preparedness

Scouts who have been in the program for a few years, while they are not experts, are really better trained than most adults to deal with something like this.

I have been camping as an adult leader with scouts when the siren went off. When you are sleeping in tents, there are not many places to go. You find the best shelter you can, hunker down and wait for the all clear. There is not much time with a tornado.

My heart goes out to the scouts and their families.

#135870 - 06/13/08 01:19 PM Re: 4 Boy Scouts die as tornado hits Iowa camp [Re: Ron]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
As a former Scoutmaster and now a Chartered Organization Representative, the Scouting program is invaluable in this day and age. There is nothing like mother nature to teach kids whose lives are filled with video games, skate-boarding, an overly-tolerant education system and parents, etc. what life is really like and that there are some rules that cannot be broken or ignored without a harsh penalty. Obviously these boys didn't do anything wrong or tempt fate--sadly, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. You can bet every one of them will be a better person for having gone through the ordeal though. They will all be a little better prepared, become better adults and leaders, and that will set them apart from others that were never involved in Scouting.

"The mission of Scouts is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetime by instilling the values of the Scout Oath and Law."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.