Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >
Topic Options
#136012 - 06/13/08 08:47 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Jeanette Isabelle
If I am still around a week later then either the message was not found or the information I provided was not accurate. The next thing to do is to verify the date. If, after I have done everything I know to do to verify the date, my information is accurate then my message was not found. I would then find another way to send a message.

Umm, no.

It appears to me that you are not taking into account the discrepancy that exists between Old Style (OS) and New Style (NS) dates, specifically 11 days, resulting from the transition from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, starting in 1582, and continuing up until 1923 (although parts of North Africa, as well as the Orthodox religion, still have not made the transition).

Most of modern-day Europe (including the American colonies) officially made the transition in September of 1752. Dates are further confused due to the discrepancy between the traditional start of the NS calendar on January 1, from the previous March 1 that was used in OS. Lunisolar calendars, synodic months, and leap year errors between the calendars also mix things up a bit…

The bottom line Jeanette is that once you somehow verify the exact date that you are living in, you’re still going to be off by 11 days when one compares it to the current (NS) Gregorian calendar.

Originally Posted By: Jeanette Isabelle
Time travel is theoretically possible even beyond the fact we are traveling into the future at the rate of one minute per minute. Therefore, if we can travel 1,000 years in one direction, we can travel 1,000 years in the other direction.

Huh?

Using that same logic, I could claim that dropping a glass vase from a second story window to the sidewalk below would break it, so throwing shattered pieces of glass back through the window would make a vase.

Jim

#136016 - 06/13/08 09:32 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Paragon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Time travel is theoretically possible even beyond the fact we are traveling into the future at the rate of one minute per minute. Therefore, if we can travel 1,000 years in one direction, we can travel 1,000 years in the other direction.

Life was a lot easier before that Scotsman invented universal time!!

#136017 - 06/13/08 09:32 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Paragon]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Paragon
It appears to me that you are not taking into account the discrepancy that exists between Old Style (OS) and New Style (NS) dates, specifically 11 days, resulting from the transition from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, starting in 1582, and continuing up until 1923 (although parts of North Africa, as well as the Orthodox religion, still have not made the transition).

The bottom line Jeanette is that once you somehow verify the exact date that you are living in, you’re still going to be off by 11 days when one compares it to the current (NS) Gregorian calendar.

Any time traveler would already know that. If I was traveling back in time I may use coordinates relative to the Gregorian calendar. If I were sent to 1000 A.D., did not know to when I was sent and later found out, I would know where I am according to the Julian calendar. I can then relate that information to a future time traveler and he can either do the math, manually switch to the Julian calendar or have the time machine do it automatically.

Originally Posted By: Paragon
Using that same logic, I could claim that dropping a glass vase from a second story window to the sidewalk below would break it, so throwing shattered pieces of glass back through the window would make a vase.

No, it does not work that way.

Jeanette Isabelle

#136018 - 06/13/08 09:34 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Any time traveler would already know that.

Yep it's in the TARDIS owners manual grin

#136019 - 06/13/08 09:40 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Yep it's in the TARDIS owners manual grin

Actually I use a Michio Kaku time machine, powered by an Orion's rift generator, in my science fiction writing.

Jeanette Isabelle

#136029 - 06/13/08 10:32 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Mike_H]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Mike_H,

At best you may be able to send information back in time by modifiying a Tachyon stream, kind of like this.

-Blast, who'se power bill is going to be HUGE this month.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#136039 - 06/14/08 12:24 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Blast]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
So Blast,

How does one realistically (as opposed to relativistically) travel back in time?

Mike

#136042 - 06/14/08 12:43 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Any time traveler would already know that..."

Maybe if you planned on being a time traveler, but the original post said that "...You're suddenly whisked back in time to 1000 AD...". As in poofed. Heck, even after reading the above info about 11 days, etc, I would still be clueless if you suddenly poofed me somewhere...

#136043 - 06/14/08 12:44 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: JRR]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Uh oh.

I would comment further, but I suspect that someone will do that for me...

#136069 - 06/14/08 03:40 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: OldBaldGuy]
TheOGRE Offline
Gaming Geek

Loc: Northern VA
Thank you Jeff for writing this fine adventure plot line, and to Mike H for DMing us thru it. Jeanette, please don't irratate the DM, for he is always right and the sudden appearance of a Ancient Red Dragon as a wandering monster is generally bad for the adventuring groups health.

Me, I'd go hermit-like for a while. Being 6'3" and 295# does not make me blend in well, but the big shaggy beard (think grizzly adams) might help.

But the nickname might cause problems ::heh-heh::

OGRE

Page 9 of 14 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.