The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#135742 - 06/12/08 06:17 PM Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
We work and live in, and being that DW works in Times Square, while I work near Ground Zero. So, it's not a totally wild idea that that one of us might encounter some nasty stuff in the air, because of a dirty bomb or some other effort at a type of terrorist NBC attack. I know surviving something like that is going to depend on a lot of things, like where it is, where we are, what is is, etc. I also know that having nothing that might assist in surviving such an incident is just not me. Ultimately, I think the ideal scenario puts us someplace with full protective suits and masks, but short of that, what are the best options?

It seems to me gas masks can be had for a few hundred, or on the cheap, but of questionable age and condition and fit. Suits could be improvised, perhaps from cheap PVC rainsuits and duct tape.

Right now, I've given to DW, not sure she carriers it, and I pretty much EDC a Technon Breath of Life See: http://www.technonllc.com/pd1 If I do not have it with me, it cannot do me any good, right? I do not see myself EDCing any suit or a gas mask, but I've been tempted by some of the cheap gas masks.

#135748 - 06/12/08 06:28 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Dan_McI]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Well, if you've never tried the MOPP gear, or hazmat suits, you might be surprised how fast you'll sweat out by trying to have a full get-up. I don't know how well PVC suits and duct tape would work for keeping you clean, but I can assume that, after a few hours, you'd be dead from heat stroke, unless it's the dead of winter. If, or course, you didn't die in the first few minutes while you're fiddling around with duct tape sticking to your rubber gloves.

As for gas masks.... I'm no expert there. But, if you go and buy one, better get LOTS of filters, since they only last a set amount of time. You better learn how to change that filter without exposing yourself to whatever you're protecting against. You also better buy some canteens with the nozzle adapter so you avoid the heat stroke mentioned above.

YMMV, but it doesn't seem practical to me. Just as an aside, I have seen the charcoal lined suits at various surplus stores/websites, if you're really hell-bent on buying something for an NBC environment.

#135751 - 06/12/08 06:35 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: MDinana]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

My idea is not for continuing to stay in an NBC environment, just having protection that will buy some time, an hour maybe two, to get out.

I've worn PVC and other suits to know the heat is a big problem.

#135754 - 06/12/08 06:55 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Dan_McI]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

the fact that you ask these questions and think that a PVC suit could be a substitute, indicated to me that you really shouldn't buy these things. Really PVC is not a chemical and gastight material. If you want a decent (relatively) inexpensive suit, get a gas-tight and chemical resistant suit. Like Tychem TK or Tyvek Pro-tec F. (or something like)

First of all you have to carry these stuff with you anywhere and know when a CBRN has occurred for it to be useful. Generally people don't carry these things or don't know when a CBRN incident has occurred. Secondly when a CBRN incident has occurred, GET OUT. Don't stay, GET OUT or take shelter. You also forgot to mention decontamination, which is just as important. No suit is going to protect you when you been contaminated.

If you want to prepare for a CBRN incident, first learn about wind directions, how to recognize a CBRN occurrence and how to act when you have been contaminated. Than a few small items would help, like a N100 mask (stops most particles from dirty-bombs, smoky-bombs and biological hazards from being breathing in), soap, towel, spare clothing packed in a vapor/gas tight bag. (Tychem TK bags are available) The rest is just not practical to carry.

Edited by PC2K (06/12/08 07:00 PM)

#135755 - 06/12/08 06:59 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Dan_McI]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I've given this some thought as well, as I work right above Grand Central Station, with my wife about ten blocks north of me (though currently out on maternity leave). As I've noted before, most of my preps are built around the idea that I'll need to walk home to Brooklyn after any incident.

I figure an actual nuclear detonation in Manhattan and all bets are off - any reasonable sized device and I'm in the blast, flash, or overpressure radius and I'll get no warning. thus, I don't worry about it. (Well, I worry about it, but I don't seriously prepare for it)

Dirty bomb is, in my mind, the most likely NBC scenario we might face. My research suggests that in most cases, if you survive the initial blast (again, no warning, so a matter of luck to a large degree) you're likely to be OK. The thing you don't want to do it breath in radioactive dust from the blast. Thus, I keep N95 dust masks on hand. I actually used a dust mask after the steam pipe explosion last year (you can search the archives for my longish write-up of my experiences that day) I suppose some goggles might be handy to keep dust out of my eyes as well. I'll have to look into that.

I have not come up with a good answer to dealing with chemical contamination. Maybe assume that the chemical agent is heavier than air and try and bug in on a high floor of the office building for a few days? I could get 40-stories up pretty easily. No idea how I'd figure out that I needed to do that, however.

Anybody know what the gas masks are that are issued to regular NYPD patrol officers and subway workers? I've often wondered what they are designed to protect against. They are worn in a bag hanging down from the belt with a strap around the thigh and started to appear shortly after the 9/11/01 attacks. I commute by subway, and might want to protect myself against the same thing the city protects its own workers against. then again, I might want more protection!

That said, I don't see a chemical attack in the subway working out well for anyone caught in the danger zone. I just don't see me calmly donning my gas mask while everyone around me calmly dies. I suspect I'd be fighting for my mask the minute it comes out of my bag.

I'm intrigued by the Breath Of Life mask, Dan, for smoke protection. Do you find it easy to carry?

#135757 - 06/12/08 07:08 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Jesselp]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jesselp

The thing you don't want to do it breath in radioactive dust from the blast. Thus, I keep N95 dust masks on hand.

Well it will protect you from breathing particles, it will not protect you from the radiation it self (will build up on/in the mask) and it will require proper handling and decontamination. So toss in soap, towel and spare clothing in a gastight bag.

I have not come up with a good answer to dealing with chemical contamination. Maybe assume that the chemical agent is heavier than air and try and bug in on a high floor of the office building for a few days? I could get 40-stories up pretty easily. No idea how I'd figure out that I needed to do that, however.

There are way to many chemical agents, all with different properties. Some are heavier than air, some lighter. Some will be blown away by the winds, some are nasty stuff which can stick for weeks.

That said, I don't see a chemical attack in the subway working out well for anyone caught in the danger zone. I just don't see me calmly donning my gas mask while everyone around me calmly dies. I suspect I'd be fighting for my mask the minute it comes out of my bag.

You probably won't know your in a chemical attack on time, to put on the mask. Well maybe you will get the mask on, but by that time you probably to late.

#135758 - 06/12/08 07:21 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Jesselp]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

The Breath of Life mask is really nothing to carry. The package is relatively square, slightly longer in one direction than a Papermare Flair pen, and slightly shorter than the same pen (the pens are on my desk). The package is probably about 1/4 inch thick. Weight is 1.3 ounces, just weighed on the mailroom scale. It's like carrying a padded envelope that's about 5 inches by 5 inches.

As far as a nuclear blast, I'm kind of with your thinking as far as preparing for it. I've read some, but know it won't be easy.

The Breath of Life offers some protection from fire fumes and NBC elements. But it's a filter in a hood, and that's all it is. If you are in a fire with no oxygen, you'll still suffocate with it on.

A dirty bomb is my worst survivable fear. Staying put and awaiting the clean up would be a good plan, if you were out of the areas of immediate danger. If you cannot, get out and then get clean ASAP.

#135765 - 06/12/08 08:18 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Dan_McI]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I'm always interested in new protective products. Just quickly scanned the website for this Breath of Life mask. From what little I've read, this seems more like what I'd call a general purpose "escape mask". There's nothing wrong with that, if you keep its limitations in mind.

It will filter a lot of acrid stuff in smoke, but apparently not carbon monoxide, so that makes it not a great smoke hood, if that's a big thing you're worried about. There's also no mention that the hood itself is heat resistant. I'd hate to have this hood "shrink wrap" itself onto your head when exposed to a burst of high temp air.

Although it does filter various chemicals and biologicals, it doesn't seem to really be designed as NBC protection so it's not necessarily great at that either. It only has a 1.2 mm activated charcoal layer. I'm not familiar with the materials in the other layers.

It seems to be an OK product. No better, no worse than many other "escape masks" out there. From what I've seen, you generally need to purchase both a smoke hood and a separate NBC mask to get decent respiratory protection against both situations (putting aside the issue of protecting the rest of your body).

I personally wouldn't bother with NBC. The biological/chemical threat at least really requires you to be aware of the problem before it happens. Take the sarin attack in the Tokyo subway. I have to wonder if it really would've changed the outcome at all for those riders if they all had masks on them? I doubt it. For one thing, no one is going to have the foggiest clue what is going on even while people are dropping like flies so I think pretty much 100% of the people still would still have been exposed even if they had the masks.

If the authorities are making an announcement on the PA system about a chemical/biological attack, then you know the agent was already released a while ago and if you haven't dropped dead already or been infected already, you're probably in minimal danger where you are, so again, there's not much use for an NBC mask.

From my own experience living in NYC, I'd probably pick a decent smoke hood and keep a decently bright flashlight as far as preparing for a likely "quick escape" scenario, whether from a structure or subway fire. I think fire is a threat that has a decent chance of being experienced by many folks and often provides enough lead time to actually don the mask in time to have it help.

#135774 - 06/12/08 09:13 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Arney]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Arney
I'd probably pick a decent smoke hood and keep a decently bright flashlight as far as preparing for a likely "quick escape" scenario, whether from a structure or subway fire.

So what is considered a good smoke hood?

#135779 - 06/12/08 09:23 PM Re: Breath of Life vs. Gas Mask vs. Nothing [Re: Dan_McI]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
So what is considered a good smoke hood?

The Safe Escape smoke hood is probably the best combination of price and performance out there now. I like the fact that it has an actual flame/heat-resistant hood that you can pull over your head to keep your hair from catching fire or burning your face. There are a number of other smoke hoods that look good, too, but are more expensive.

Another product that someone brought to my/our attention not that long ago is the Xcaper mask. There are a lot of masks with basically the same form factor, but the Xcaper seems to be the real deal because it actually filters carbon monoxide, unlike all the other similar masks that filter soot and some fumes but not CO. It's small, so good for tucking into your purse/briefcase for commuting. It's a tradeoff between size and having a hood and a replaceable filter canister.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.