The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#135343 - 06/10/08 01:28 AM A Challenge with a Question
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Being a navigator and a pilot, I tend to watch the skies during both the day and nighttime hours.

My challenge is to determine what direction true north is in relation to your own position when you watch the sun rise or set. Mark the true direction of the sun as it rises or sets, as the case may be.

You might want to think about what hemisphere that you are in.

You might also find it interesting marking the bearing of the moonrise and moonset.

Edited by wildman800 (06/10/08 01:45 AM)

#135351 - 06/10/08 03:35 AM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I will apparently be the first to admit that I don't have a clue as to how to find true anything from where the sun/moon rises/sets. My GPS will tell me all of that and more, but I suspect that would be considered to be cheating. I can do pretty well at finding north from other means though...

#135354 - 06/10/08 04:03 AM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: wildman800]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: wildman800

My challenge is to determine what direction true north is in relation to your own position when you watch the sun rise or set. Mark the true direction of the sun as it rises or sets, as the case may be.

You might want to think about what hemisphere that you are in.

In fact, in order to find the really true north, you have to consider also the date and time of observation, your geographical location, your altitude, altitude of the horizon line, the temperature in your place and temperature gradient in atmosphere along the direction line to the Sun, the same for air pressure, and for air humidity. Everything else is just a basic math smile i.o.w. the answer depends on precision (or task) you are going to achieve from such an observation. Otherwise the answer is as simple as pointing to the right looking at sunset, and to the left at sunrise smile

#135357 - 06/10/08 06:05 AM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: Alex]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Hey OBG,

You can hang out with me if needed. I have been told more than once that I am the south end of a north bound horse. You'll quickly learn which way north and south are from that stand point.

I do this pretty much in the night time since I do a lot of amateur astronomy. I the daylight hours, (when not sleeping) I usually am familiar enough with the area I am visiting to know which way north is. Though a compass and GPS do come in handy from time to time.

Still, it's a very useful tip.

Stargazer

#135368 - 06/10/08 12:52 PM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: stargazer]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm with OBG. I have no clue how to get anything more than a rough guess from rising and setting suns and moons.

But then I'm rarely far from a compass and/or a GPS.

#135370 - 06/10/08 12:58 PM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you have a clear view of the horizon and can see both sunrise and sunset, a line between those two positions is East-West, 90 deg offset is North (point your right arm at sunrise and your left arm at sunset and you should be looking at North).

If you are in the Northern hemisphere, the sun is on the South side unless you are really near the equator in mid-summer.

Is that what you mean or is this a trick question?

#135377 - 06/10/08 01:16 PM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: Alex]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...Otherwise the answer is as simple as pointing to the right looking at sunset, and to the left at sunrise..."

That works for me!!!

#135378 - 06/10/08 01:17 PM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: stargazer]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...Hey OBG, You can hang out with me if needed..."

Considering where you live, we might take you up on that offer some day!!!

#135398 - 06/10/08 02:45 PM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: Russ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Russ
If you have a clear view of the horizon and can see both sunrise and sunset, a line between those two positions is East-West, 90 deg offset is North (point your right arm at sunrise and your left arm at sunset and you should be looking at North).

If you are in the Northern hemisphere, the sun is on the South side unless you are really near the equator in mid-summer.

Is that what you mean or is this a trick question?

Is it just me or wouldn't that require you to say put from sunrise to sunset before going anywhere? That wouldn't be practical as you'd only be able to get your bearings once a day...and only if you'd been sitting put all day.

My experience with the bush is that you can't properly see sunrise and sunset anyhow. The bush can be so thick at times you're lucky to see much sun at all.

#135401 - 06/10/08 02:50 PM Re: A Challenge with a Question [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
wildman800,

It seems to me like you are asking for how to take and calculate an amplitude. With an amplitude you observe and take a bearing of the sun as it rises or sets, then you calculate what the true bearing of the sun is based on it's declination and your latititude.

See pp. 284-286: http://www.irbs.com/bowditch/pdf/chapt17.pdf

Note that that time to take the bearing with the sun is when the lower limb of the sun is about 2/3 of the sun's diameter above the visible horizon.

You might also be able to take an azimuth at that time. But IIRC, and I have not taken on since the late 80s, an amplitude is easier to figure out.

Also, IIRC, amplitudes are very accurate and because the bearing of the sun chages little as it approaches and is on the horizon.

Edited by Dan_McI (06/10/08 02:55 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.