Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#135417 - 06/10/08 04:19 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: climberslacker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Canadian company makes some good drivers and bit. The teeny turner
bits are 1/8 " hex and may fit in some multitool holders.

http://www.firehawktech.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PQTT

http://www.picquic.com/bitpac.html

#135515 - 06/11/08 08:11 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: climberslacker]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Climberslacker,

No that's not it, it was an extension bar to give your adapter more reach.

I do remember the bar being similar to that of the 1/4 bar provided with the Swiss tool and about 4" long. Something a kin to the Core bit driver on one end and an a 1/4 socket extension on the other. It may be possible to make a bar in that manner, but this was one piece.

#135517 - 06/11/08 09:15 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Stokie]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Never liked those tiny removable driver tips on a multitool. Too fiddly. Too easy to have the tip fall out and get lost in the dirt. I much prefer a straight, fixed driver tool. A couple of assorted flat blades and a #1 Phillips is fine. I'm not going to be doing any production work so I just don't need a wide selection of driver bits.

I have always been able to muddle through with a much more limited selection. I can't remember any field situation when I couldn't make it work because I lacked a particular bit. I have tightened a number of torx,Robertson or Allen screws by gripping them with the pliers or forcing one or both of the long-nose points into the recess to gain a purchase. Or I wedge one of the other blades into it. You won't get it super tight and I gall the fastener that way, easy enough to replace when I get back, but it has always worked well enough.

If and when I really do need to have a more comprehensive selection of drivers for production work, like when I building something, I break out my tool kit and I'm good to go. In the mean time I don't need to be hauling the extra bulk and weight of a set of hex bits around.

#135529 - 06/11/08 12:56 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Art_in_FL]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

In this case Art I would only be carrying a few extras in the sizes I know I might need. If the bits in the tool itself weren't such a good variety, I'd replace the integral ones with some of these...regrettably they're not double sided like the Victorinox ones are.

The original SAK bits have never fallen out once in nearly a decade of using it (crud...I'm using that word more and more...I must be getting old). That said, I have dropped them before and they're black...I'm surprised I haven't permanently lost one due to my butter fingers. Keeping these extras from falling out is going to make me get creative as it won't magnetize enough to hold the bits in...not with any of the magnets I have anyhow.

#135530 - 06/11/08 01:04 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm pretty sure the Juice adapter has a spring for retention or something. I just used it the other day with my T6 to tighten the clip on my RSK. I had to really pull to get that puppy out.

-john

#135532 - 06/11/08 01:47 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Stokie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Something like this ?

If that is it, you can find similar products in just about any hardware store. I have a couple of them, one about six inches long, that have slip collars on the female end to hold the bits in place so they don't fall out. Got it at one of those el cheapo sidewalk tool sales for only a couple of bucks...

#135599 - 06/11/08 11:41 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I think there might be ways around that especially if the driver arm in the Cybertool could be magnetized

Magnetize the bits instead of the socket. It's easier to pass them all the way through the magnetizer. It's not too bad because the 4mm bits are lots longer than the Vic bits. Most of the time they're long enough to break the screw loose with the driver & use the bit like a small screwdriver to finish the job.

#135851 - 06/13/08 08:30 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
That looks like the fellow, only I thought that Leatherman did their own and that it slipped into the thin bit slot of waves and charges, if it's just a 1/4" drive extension then your right I can find those anywhere.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

#135872 - 06/13/08 01:26 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Stokie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Leatherman did their own and that it slipped into the thin bit slot of waves and charges..."

I think, from looking at it, that the one in the link is for the thin slots. It sure doesn't appear to be hex shaped (like the others I have). But I tried to find that one in Leathermans website and couldn't. Maybe they don't make it anymore...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.