The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#135490 - 06/11/08 12:30 AM Re: survival manners [Re: climberslacker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jshannon
Civility flys out the door in many bad situations. Look at New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

On another forum there was a gentleman who was of the opinion that the people in NOLA were all scum and that they resorted to raw violence and strong-arm robbery as soon as the chips were down. He cited a video clip that showed a man holding up a young child and asking for diapers and baby food. This was cited as an example of an unprepared thug.

I posted back that there might be many reasons he was unprepared and that he obviously wasn't acting like a thug. A lot of people were caught unprepared, including the Airforce and National Guard, because the flooding came after the Hurricane had passed. The danger was assumed to have passed. Things went from relief, sunshine and clear skies, to over-the-head dark waters in minute. It is not unlikely that if you had a closet full of survival gear and happened to be in the wrong spot where the water came up very quickly you might not have been able to get to it. Assuming you didn't have a boat a BOB might not of helped much if it wouldn't float.

The second point is that he was asking for help. He wasn't threatening or ordering or demanding help. He was asking. Not exactly thug behavior.

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
This is a topic that I haven't realy thought about untill now, Nomad, thanks for the insight of katrina, as the news only shows the bad things. (think of it, how many times have you heard "shots fired" and how few times do you hear "so and so helped a child find their parents"), only the bad stuff

In at least one documented case one of the well celebrated 'shootouts' was a case of blue-on-blue. A team of undercover cops, in plainclothes and muscular, got in a shootout with uniformed officers. Shots were fired. There were reports of other cases of macho, testosterone driven police and paramilitary forces, including Blackwater mercenaries billed at about $1500 a day, running into each other with drawn guns.

There was also much talk at the time of people shooting at helicopters. So much talk and assumed danger that helicopter operations were curtailed in some areas. After the fact the helicopter crews were questioned. Many said they heard shots. None claimed they were actually shot at. None of the helicopters had bullet holes or other evidence of hostile action.

So where did the gunfire come from? Some of it was from panicked and hostile police. Some from panicked homeowners. But this is the south. Lots of people have guns. At the time, and seeing people desperate for help, it occurred to me that a lot of that gunfire was probably a distress signal and intended to get attention. Lots of southerners hunt and most remember that he standard distress signal is three shots.

Sounds to me like this might be another case of people seeing what they expect. A lot of people, and a lot of the police coming from outside the area, expected a war zone. To them gunshots were signs of violent intent. Did they mistake a distress signal for violent intent and needlessly suspend helicopter operations? I think so.

In a survival situation you have to make the right choices based on the correct information. To determine what is really going on you have to reach beyond your expectations, biases and prejudices.

#135499 - 06/11/08 02:19 AM Re: survival manners [Re: Art_in_FL]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Civility flys out the door in many bad situations. Look at New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

On another forum there was a gentleman who was of the opinion that the people in NOLA were all scum and that they resorted to raw violence and strong-arm robbery as soon as the chips were down. He cited a video clip that showed a man holding up a young child and asking for diapers and baby food. This was cited as an example of an unprepared thug.

I haven't seen the video but maybe he was holding up his child so people would pity him and help him out.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#135520 - 06/11/08 10:04 AM Re: survival manners [Re: climberslacker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

"I haven't seen the video but maybe he was holding up his child so people would pity him and help him out."

That is likely. The kid is probably either a relative or friend's relative. But it still doesn't change anything. I never claimed he was a saint advocating for orphans.

He can be assumed to be looking after someone close to him. But the point remains that even though he looked to be a large and healthy enough specimen to commit violence he wasn't forcing or intimidating anyone in his attempts to get help. You have to give him credit for that.

A bad situation, lots of stress, he is clearly distressed and frustrated but he isn't throwing a fit or getting violent. He is maintaining some degree of control. Not too shabby for a guy likely coming out of a poor community with a dysfunctional and violent culture. I man who likely has no survival training and who has never even contemplated a disaster. A man completely out of his element who has probably lost everything he owns. But hanging on and doing the best he can without hurting anyone.

#135521 - 06/11/08 10:46 AM Re: survival manners [Re: Art_in_FL]
Spiritwalker Offline

Disasters can bring out the worst in some people but from what I've seen personally, it usually brings out the worst in people who were rat-bastards to begin with. Disasters usually bring out the best in most people. From all reports, even New Yorkers were uncharacteristically polite to each other for a few months after 9/11.

Edited by Spiritwalker (06/12/08 02:12 AM)

#139913 - 07/17/08 01:22 AM Re: survival manners [Re: Spiritwalker]
BrianB Offline

Hi. I'm new here, though I've been lurking around and reading. I'm getting into hiking to get back into shape, and fight off my sedentary lifestyle, with an eye toward getting away from my local trails to more open spaces as I get better conditioned. I've learned a lot.

So, although I'm stepping into this thread a few days late, it's really one of the first I've seen that I feel qualified to comment on. :^)

First, on New Yorkers: I've only been to the city on two occasions. The first one was a class trip in '86, the second was doing some sightseeing while visiting my brother, who has defected to New Jersey, in the early to mid '90s. Granted, I didn't cover the whole city, not by a long shot, and mostly touristy areas, but I found the New Yorkers in New York to be far more polite than their counterparts in my home state of Florida, many of whom (though not the majority -- it's the loud ones who stand out) seemed to love to make a point of showing off "NY attitude." I also lived for a year in upstate New York, a whole other animal, indeed. I'd have to rate it one of the friendliest rural communities it's been my pleasure to live in.

On politeness in terms of survival: It can be positive or negative thing. You need to learn basic interpersonal communication skills, and learn to (as much as possible) read a situation for what it is. When I pass anyone on the sidewalk (I walk/bus a lot), I always nod, smile, and say "Hi." Most people respond well to this, though some avoid eye contact on approach. That points out one survival benefit of politeness: If you are a criminal looking for a victim, who are you going to pick? The person who stands up straight, looks you in the eye and greets you, or the hunched over person, less aware of their surroundings, who acts meek? Most will pick the latter. So, basic politeness is GOOD, on many levels, really.

Then again, there's another situation where being too polite doesn't net you anything in terms of survival, and could be detrimental. I think we've all probably been approached in parking lots by either beggars or scammers doing the "gas can shuffle" (Usually use a gas can as a prop, beg for a couple bucks b/c they "ran out of gas.") As a general rule, these types aren't directly confrontational, because it's bad for business. On the other hand, people looking for a victim to rob or car jack may pose as one of these types to get close enough to you to hurt you. Whenever I'm approached by one of these people, I very firmly tell them, "No," and instruct them to "Leave. Now." Just like that, cave man speak, including gestures with my offhand, palm out for no, which most people will read as "stop" and pointing away for "leave" -- even deaf people get the gestures with the right body language behind them. I repeat the second part every time the person attempts to say anything. I do not give them the opportunity to speak. Doing so only leaves yourself open to being distracted.

The actual bums/scammers get the message and may grumble a bit then leave. There may be some of these who aren't rational and might try to get violent, but these are rare and can usually be talked down. Those trying to close distance to do you harm will be informed in no uncertain terms that you aren't a victim, and they should seek easier prey. If they were intent on doing you violence, they would certainly have done so anyway, and you decrease your chances of being a victim. If the person in question wasn't intent on violence, the chances of this response causing escalation are slim.

Of course, there's another situation where you need to walk the line between politeness and survival, and that's when you're confronting multiple people. Someone with two or three friends or more backing them up is far more likely to escalate an encounter if the friends lack the common sense to stop them. Here, discretion is the better part of valor. However, I wouldn't take it too far. Generally showing a willingness to deal with multiple people who are too rowdy/aggressive is unsettling, and you can throw them off their rhythm by acting unexpectedly. Your goal here is the opposite of the above, you want to engage the leader or spokesperson of any aggressive group verbally, because it opens the opportunity to cause a mental disconnect that gives pause. You use that pause to de-escalate the situation. Something as simple as making the leader ask you if you want some trouble, and then answering "No, man, it's cool," and putting out your hand with a positive body language will end a confrontation quicker than it started. Nine times in ten, the person will automatically take a handshake and then you part ways. Of course, you also now have their hand should they get rowdy. I've used the rythm breaking as described here on more occasions than I care to admit, and it's worked for me.

Which brings me to my final bit of advice: Don't believe a darn thing I just typed! You don't know me, or my background, and you most certainly aren't me (about six feet and over two hundred pounds with a military bearing), so how I handle situations may differ. I very much give the impression when I'm interacting with people that I'm law enforcement. That's because I spent the first six years of my adult life as a Military Policeman. So, regard this as food for thought, and do your own interpersonal communication and situational awareness/crime prevention training, it's a very good skill set to have for survival among humans.

#139923 - 07/17/08 02:22 AM Re: survival manners [Re: BrianB]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy! (and I say that even tho a Military Policeman wrote me the first ticket I ever got) smile smile smile

#139938 - 07/17/08 03:14 AM Re: survival manners [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Welcome BrianB, you and I tend to cut against the common grain I think. Every New Yorker I've ever met in New York City has been a great individual, polite, willing to go the extra mile to show off their town, never took me, a rube, for a cent. Same with Chigagoans, approached the right way they've got pride in their city to light up the midway. Maybe its the luck of the draw, never coming up against anyone who wants to take us down, but probably it does come down to interpersonal skills and giving people enough leeway to decide to treat you like a human being. Anyway, I'd rather believe in my own fictional Jedi mind tricks rather than some innate hatred in other human beings, neither is exactly true.

I will confess to a different feeling of brotherly love in right field of Yankee Stadium versus Wrigley Field - in one I was glad not to be wearing a Mariners cap, and kept my cheering down a bit while the visitors cleaned up on the Yankees. After all it doesn't happen every day, or half the days. But the fans can't get over the Jay Buhner trade in right field, ever.

#139945 - 07/17/08 03:30 AM Re: survival manners [Re: Lono]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Same with Chigagoans..."

I'm not gonna even bore you with how I was treated when walking State Stree in Chicogo on Christmas eve of '65. But then, I was in uniform, and the Viet Nam war was unpopular...

#139966 - 07/17/08 12:49 PM Re: survival manners [Re: BrianB]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: BrianB
...snip... Granted, I didn't cover the whole city, not by a long shot, and mostly touristy areas, but I found the New Yorkers in New York to be far more polite than their counterparts in my home state of Florida, many of whom (though not the majority -- it's the loud ones who stand out) seemed to love to make a point of showing off "NY attitude." I also lived for a year in upstate New York, a whole other animal, indeed. I'd have to rate it one of the friendliest rural communities it's been my pleasure to live in.
...snip...

Shisshhhhhhh - you're NOT supposed to tell folks - let them be surprised when they get here - it's a little gift we give tourists... Beside, what do you want to do, ruin our reputation? Geeez
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.