Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135485 - 06/10/08 11:31 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Might I suggest the Glo-Toob fx as a strobe/electrical lightstick. Available from Brigade Quartermaster or TAD gear (sorry I don't have a clue as how to link stuff, need to get with the misses and fix that). The glo-toob is waterproof to a mere 11,000 feet making it a pretty good choice for water activities. The fx model is "programmable" with 7 light pattern options from constant on, several intermitant patters, and the sos pattern. They also make a basic on/off model. Comes in a variety of led color choices.

-Bill Liptak

#135489 - 06/11/08 12:08 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: DesertFox]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

So far the Firefly 3, the ACR MS-2000, or the 'Princeton Tec: Aqua Strobe Light' look like they might be good choices for my husband. Thank you OBG, DesertFox and Hacksaw for sharing those. My husband has quite a bit of emergency gear for sailing, but not a good strobe light. He would have to decide which of those he likes best.

Do you think a good waterproof headlamp would be a good thing to also have on your person while sailing? Maybe one like one of these - though NOT to replace the strobe light: http://onkayaks.squarespace.com/waterproof-headlamps/

Or any of these waterproof Princeton Tec's (the link won't work): http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...dkey=SiteSearch

I haven't found anything about how Roger Stone, the man who saved the 2 students, died. Just that he was apparently trapped. I did find this about him: http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/u-s-coas...ilboat-capsized

I remember posting here years ago about a similar story where a man was trapped underwater - here is the paragraph from that story: (Sail Magazine 12/2003 - special issue on safety at sea) where one of the survivors had to cut his safety line to keep from drowning. John Rogers, the survivor said: "I was on deck, clipped on with my safety harness, and suddenly found myself trapped under water in complete darkness. Fortunately, I had immediate access to my knife, as I could not get the safety clip on my tether undone and had to cut myself free. I found my way out from under the boat, inflated my PFD, and started looking around and calling for other survivors."

He said in the subtitle of this article: "In the ultimate survival test, it's the gear in your pockets that counts the most!"

Joy

#135492 - 06/11/08 12:58 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: NeighborBill]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Look carefully...it appears to be a rhino, not a faceless pig...

Nope, I still see pig.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135493 - 06/11/08 01:05 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
Angel Offline

Looks like a hippo to me.

#135498 - 06/11/08 02:18 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Angel]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I have a couple glotoobs... they're OK. I have a red and green; green is definetely brighter. I believe there's also amber and white.

Available with 2 different battery types, with the CR123 being slightly higher price.

Probably would be good, but I don't know if they float. I suppose I could try it and report back later tomorrow. However, the run time isn't all that phenomenal. I put one on the dog collar for night walks, and it probably lasted ... 10-15 hours, maybe. In other words, if you're out of the boat more than 1 night, you might want something else, or at least several of them. Not sure how effective a battery change would be at sea.

Cellphones might work, but the second you get them wet they're pretty useless.

#135500 - 06/11/08 02:26 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: MDinana]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yeah, please see if they float, that would be cool!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#135502 - 06/11/08 03:16 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: climberslacker]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
What about a pelican mini flasher?

http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2130

#135504 - 06/11/08 06:28 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: jshannon]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Just assuming that the glo-toobs float and have a reasonable run time wouldn't the IR versions be better for search and rescue. I don't know too much about night vision googles, which "light" would be more visible through NVG's, the xenon strobe or IR Led?

#135505 - 06/11/08 06:43 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Stokie]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Keep in mind there are all sorts of LEDs.

The ones in the Glo Toobs are smaller and not super powerful, and reflected off an internal surface.

Also note the Mini Flasher as referenced above, also has a wimpy LED (and only one -- less than the Glo Toobs).

While I like and have some of the 'Toobs, the new LEDs like in the Fenix P1D Q5 are HUGELY brighter.

In reality, it would be interesting if Glo Toob re-spun the 'Toob with a modern, high-output LED.

The Glo Toobs don't float.

Also note there is now a lithium powered (123A) Glo Toob which probably has much better runtime than the old FX model.

Some Glo Toob pics.

My guess is that a Xenon strobe would beat a Glo Toob easily, regardless of visible or IR.

Bottom line is the Glo Toob is a marker light, not a rescue beacon. Ditto the Mini Flasher (actually, I'd consider the Mini Flasher more of a novelty than a real marker light).

-john

EDIT: BTW Joy, if you are interested in headlamps, check out the Zebralight H30-Q5. Sturdy, three output levels, bright, small/light and it has a great flood light which is great for task lighting. H30 Review.

FWIW, (in general) I haven't found that Petzl takes waterpoofing too seriously. The Duo LED is also a pretty old design, and personally I wouldn't put it on a short list.

While I don't know about their newer designs, the Princeton Tech Yukon HL does a better job waterproofing than the Petzl, but it is a pretty dated model.

Also note, in general it is a lot harder to seal the battery compartments on lights like this vs the Zebralight style. Zebralight got it right. Less is more.

Another good alternative (although expensive) is the StenLight S7. Review.

Edited by JohnN (06/11/08 07:30 AM)

#135507 - 06/11/08 07:21 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: MDinana]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I have a couple glotoobs... they're OK. I have a red and green; green is definetely brighter. I believe there's also amber and white.

Available with 2 different battery types, with the CR123 being slightly higher price.

Probably would be good, but I don't know if they float. I suppose I could try it and report back later tomorrow. However, the run time isn't all that phenomenal. I put one on the dog collar for night walks, and it probably lasted ... 10-15 hours, maybe. In other words, if you're out of the boat more than 1 night, you might want something else, or at least several of them. Not sure how effective a battery change would be at sea.

Cellphones might work, but the second you get them wet they're pretty useless.

I have the white CR123 - doesn't seem to float, nad supposidly has a VERY long runtime - I think in the 100 hour range (not that I've tried it - the blackout over here on Monday night lasted all of 30 seconds, so..)

Edit:
John, besides a marker lamp, I've already tried this - they actally make an OK "desk lamp" in blackout conditions. I've said before that I'm a ham that works with ARES. Sometimes we get called out for blackouts. Sitting there with the rig on, the glotube gives off more than enough light to take notes on your clipboard, fill out your log (I log EVERY transmisson in those situations - time and what was said - in a BOUND book, just in case) You would be surprized how BRIGHT a little bit of light is in total darkness

NYC's power grid almost failed again these last two days - I REALLY need to spend some cash on a generator, as I have sleep apenia, and I should not sleep without the machine (it does have a 12 volt plug, and a 20 Ah batter would get me through a night, and I havce a LOT more than that around)

Edited by kc2ixe (06/11/08 07:28 AM)
Edit Reason: add the stuff after Edit:
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.