The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135334 - 06/10/08 12:50 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We keep some bottled water in the vehicle, "just in case." We usually have a small ice chest packed with ice and jugs of iced tea for topping off our glasses as we drive. If we should get stranded somewhere and really need that water, a little bit of that toxic stuff that might get into our system seems to be the lesser of two evils...

#135336 - 06/10/08 01:05 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: picard120]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
aren't you guys concern about toxic plastic compound exist in water bottle?

No. I figure if I'm drinking the 100+ liters of water each day for a year I'd need to get the dangerous concentrations bisphenol A then I have bigger problems.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135338 - 06/10/08 01:10 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Angel Offline

I keep my water on ice and end up replacing it about once a week, more if i'm out fishing. I usually share it with anyone that looks like they may need it.

#135339 - 06/10/08 01:19 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: picard120]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: picard120
Most members here are boys who like toys. women just aren't interested in gadgets smile

I have my first aid kits (ranging from a modified Pocket Medic in my EDC to several industrial kits), a first aid book and additional first aid gear. They wouldn't be considered toys, would they?

Jeanette Isabelle

#135341 - 06/10/08 01:25 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My wife has lots of "boy toys," the Cold Steel Mini-Pal on her key ring for one. I have taught her eye, eye, throat enough that it probably shouldn't be called a toy tho...

#135344 - 06/10/08 01:35 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: picard120]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: picard120
aren't you guys concern about toxic plastic compound exist in water bottle? I don't want to store water bottle in the car in hot weather. The toxic compound will leech from the plastic under high temperature.

I've never seen bottled water transported in a refrigerated trailer during the summer, so you can bet its already seen >130°F by the time it reaches your super market shelf.

Jim

#135349 - 06/10/08 02:42 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: Paragon]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

Picard, I like all kinds of camping gear, emergency gadgets and tools! I am not into knives and guns like the guys, but most of the other things I would love to have for my BOB's. My husband gave me a small knife I sometimes keep on my keychain. I want to get more gadgets for my keychains too.

As for water in hot cars - I bought some emergency water in pouches that can take hot temps that I keep just for emergencies.

Bottled water for regular use I rotate often. I keep both covered with blankets and stuff to keep it cool. The heat doesn't penetrate that far in if you keep it well covered. I check it often to make sure. So far so good.

Joy

#135358 - 06/10/08 06:30 AM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: Joy]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Actually i like gadgets and toys smile
though lately new toys haven't been in the budget..
though going to a junk yard to get parts for stuff sounds like a plan smile

#135371 - 06/10/08 01:01 PM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
aren't you guys concern about toxic plastic compound exist in water bottle?

No. I figure if I'm drinking the 100+ liters of water each day for a year I'd need to get the dangerous concentrations bisphenol A then I have bigger problems.

-Blast

Don't forget the most important fact. There's no proof that BPA is harmful in the first place. Even for the people who work with pure BPA in powder form in manufacturing plants like where Nalgene type bottles are made, there have been no recorded effects due to exposure. Even in infants using baby bottles made with BPA, there's no proof that the BPA does them any harm...studies are ongoing so until they come back with conclusive proof that we're all going to turn into mutant freaks because BPA is similar to human hormones, I'll keep my bottles where they are.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to learn to live without my gadgets. I still like them...but I don't want to be reliant on them where skill would be sufficient. I'm re-reading Northern Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski. I've forgotten how much you can do with a knife, axe, and a pot...if you have the skills to back it up.

#135456 - 06/10/08 07:43 PM Re: Am I the Only One? [Re: katarin]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I'm about as talkative in person as I am on the forum, which isn't much. I like gadgets, I tend to be more minimalistic and only buy what I feel is really needed and useful, but I like them just the same.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.