Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135399 - 06/10/08 02:46 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Russ]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I keep an ACR Firefly Plus strobe/flashlight combination in my signaling/communication module. It was a bit larger than I originally expected (5 oz and 5.3" long - my local outfitter had to special order it and I hadn't really checked the specs carefully enough) although the range (2 miles) is simply awesome.

I also picked up a tiny little Pelican Mini Flasher LED last winter (somewhat because I thought it was "cute", although I felt it might be useful to attach to something that I wouldn't want to loose - the backpacker in front or behind me on the trail at night, my tent when I hike off in the middle of the night to relieve myself, or even a knife or hatchet that I am using and could otherwise misplace in the leaves).

Jim

#135400 - 06/10/08 02:48 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
I wonder what make/model it was? I need to get one before my deep sea fishing trip out in the Gulf.

Though first I need to talk DW into letting me go deep sea fishing. For some reason she's afraid I'll do something dumb with a shark. I figure as long as the shark doesn't have fleas* I should be okay.

-Blast

*that's a sutble hint that I'm okay again with cat jokes. Grieve hard but fast then move on.

Cats are great companions to have while shark fishing! smile

#135403 - 06/10/08 03:02 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Stu]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The faceless pig scares me....You can't tell he's evil "by the look in his eye."

#135404 - 06/10/08 03:11 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: MoBOB]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
The faceless pig scares me....

Ain't that the truth. I have this weird vision of some creepy young kid wandering through the neighborhood with it and peering into windows...

-Blast, low on sleep
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135408 - 06/10/08 03:54 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
FWIW, the Fenix P1D lights are very small and can be very bright. More importantly in this context, they have a strobe (and SOS).

I have one of these "premium Q5s" on my keychain.

Yah, they are expensive, but so small and versatile and there is no excuse not to have it with you.

FWIW, my primary EDC is an HDS EDC U85, which also has a strobe (HDS EDC is out of production, it will be replaced by the Ra Clicky in Aug.).

Both of these lights are at least as bright as the benchmark Surefires (E2e, 6P).

These LED based lights with strobe are very bright, efficient, small and reliable.

-john

Edited by JohnN (06/10/08 03:59 PM)

#135410 - 06/10/08 03:58 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: JohnN]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Strobes in flashlights are fine if you know where to point the flashlight. At sea you really want an omni-directional strobe so that all you need to do is turn it on and then get on with your primary job of keeping your head above water. IMO they are very lucky the helo crew was able to see the flashlight.

#135411 - 06/10/08 04:03 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Russ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Sure, but compared to the guy with the cheap flashlight which was probably not that bright, only had a pretty small runtime and didn't have a strobe....

What I'm trying to say is that with these kinds of lights, there is no excuse not to always have them.

In reality, they needed a PLB, and strobes on each of the flotation devices.

-john

#135415 - 06/10/08 04:12 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Russ,

Just add a Fenix Tip Diffuser to make the little Fenix Digital P1D Olive Premium Q5 into a reasonable little omni-directional strobe. Should be good for a good few miles visability.

#135419 - 06/10/08 04:29 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: JohnN]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I like Fenix lights, I have two of them and while they are bright and have nice light options (strobe, SOS, Turbo et al), they are not waterproof, only dunkable. With saltwater, a dunkable light might not work at all. The cheap light this guy got from his local sporting goods store was reported as waterproof.

If I was going to sea, I'd go with dedicated gear designed to get real wet, dunkable is fine for non-survival gear, not for gear your life hangs on.

#135422 - 06/10/08 04:52 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Russ,

The Fenix P1D-CE is IPX-8 rated according to the manufacturers website.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=35

IPX-8 -'Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.'

IPX-8 has to be greater than IPX-7, which means that it has to be at least 1m depth for at least 30 minutes or greater.

Its certainly not a SCUBA flashlight but would be perfectly useable at the surface to be used for improvised signalling.

Quote:
If I was going to sea, I'd go with dedicated gear designed to get real wet, dunkable is fine for non-survival gear, not for gear your life hangs on.

PPPPPP, definitely!! grin

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.