Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#134829 - 06/05/08 05:01 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Mike_H]
Emp Offline
Stranger

The SOG Powerlock comes with a quarter inch driver for standard sockets and with the optional quarter inch driver adapter can take bits as well. You can find these at Lowes for around $60.00 in the tools section.

#134831 - 06/05/08 07:30 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Emp]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
On the subject of SOGs. Can you remove and add tools to them?
The Sock

#134845 - 06/05/08 01:42 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: TheSock]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

For the leatherman, can't you just grind down normal hex bits to be rectangular or no?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#134847 - 06/05/08 02:04 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: climberslacker]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

For what its worth Hacksaw, I'll second the versadriver from countycomm....I have one and it positively rocks. I saw them years ago in the Dillon reloading mags my brother used to get. Back then it was called the "Doc Allen's versa tool". Then as fate would have it, 3 months later the local Cracker Barrel (resturant chain for those who don't have/know) started stocking them in their country store section. Got one for me and one for my brother. Picked up two bit carriers to round out the spectrum of things I could attack.
Works great and stores in its own little pouch. Highly recommended.

-Bill Liptak

#134849 - 06/05/08 02:12 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: climberslacker]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
You can grind them down. I believe D.R. did it, but it is time consuming and dangerous.

#134902 - 06/06/08 12:10 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
They will work in the Cybertool but don't have the spring ball to hold them in the socket.

#134924 - 06/06/08 02:57 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: beadles]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
Originally Posted By: beadles
If you can stand to have a separate tool, there are some oddball bicycling tools. The Topeak "Toolbar" is teeny, but takes regular size bits.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/ToolBar

Or Countycomm has the "Versadriver":

http://www.countycomm.com/versadriver.htm

Or, you might find something like this small, offset ratchet.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5311328?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I have a Versatool and really like it. I added a set of metric Allen bits (for the bike) and Torx 15, 20, and 25. I also have a set of cheap 1/4" sockets in a small bag that I carry with it sometimes, but they are too heavy to EDC. It actually is a very versatile tool. I still have a Leatherman in my every day bag, but the Versatool covers most of the bases when it comes to most screws.

#134951 - 06/06/08 01:10 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Paul D.]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The versatool is neat but isn't very convenient for my EDC needs...especially at work where I'm wearing a suit and don't/can't have anything on my belt (At work I put my Cybertool and Infinity Ultra on my key lanyard).

I have a small tool kit for use with my bicycle and I have a bit and socket set similar to the Versatool but I actually have a mini 1/4" wratchet in there...very handy. I also have a couple of the bicycle specific tools mentioned above...some of them are very compact but still solid.

I like the SOG Power Lock idea of the 1/4" socket and I've heard that the Leatherman adapter (the one that slips over the phillips driver) also works on Gerbers with square phillips drivers...unfortunately my Diesel is one of the few Gerbers to NOT have a square Phillips driver. I've decided that Leathermans are out. I tried a couple and the 'one hand opening' blades only seem to be so for righties and not lefties. I like the SOG Power Asssist. The assist works for both lefties and righties but the mechanism means fewer tools so no 1/4" driver and I'd be back to square one.

If the 4mm bits won't stay in, that certainly would be a pain. I think there might be ways around that especially if the driver arm in the Cybertool could be magnetized. Then it could also be used for picking up screws and what not...albeit weak. I'll have to see if it can be magnetized first...with Victorinox's penchant for stainless it's possible it won't be an option.

#134954 - 06/06/08 01:38 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...'one hand opening' blades only seem to be so for righties and not lefties..."

You got that right. I carry my Wave on the left hip (old habits die hard), and occasionally I need to hold something with my right while I get the tool and blade open with the left. Not impossible, but not easy either. Just goes to show that nothing is perfect...

#135077 - 06/07/08 10:01 AM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: TheSock]
Emp Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: TheSock
On the subject of SOGs. Can you remove and add tools to them?
The Sock

Yes, they even come with a socket for takedown

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 448 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
22 minutes 43 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.