Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135424 - 06/10/08 05:16 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi Russ,

The Fenix P1D-CE is IPX-8 rated according to the manufacturers website.

There is enough unit-to-unit variation in the Fenix lights that I wouldn't count on this.

The bigger problem is run-time. How many night-time hours were they in the water before being picked up? The light has to last that long with no battery changes.

While I agree the HDS is by far the cream of the crop it is not buoyant. This is a case where a cheap plastic float strobe that can be seen from any direction is better than the gold-plated best-money-can-buy gadget.

#135427 - 06/10/08 05:29 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Dan_McI]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A CNN article said the flight crew didn't see the light directly, but while using their night vision goggles. I am assuming that the light from a cell phone would do the same?

It is truly amazing how a small forethought can make the difference between living and dying.

"Coast Guard Lt. Justo Rivera, who was flying the aircraft that rescued the men, told CNN affiliate KHOU that a flashlight helped save them. While conducting search patterns, Coast Guard members spotted the light through their night vision goggles, Rivera said. It was being held by one of the men.

He said that because the Coast Guard was searching such a vast area, the flashlight was "instrumental" in the rescue.

'It's your proverbial needle in a haystack,' Rivera told KHOU."

[http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/09/sailors.rescued/?iref=mpstoryview]

#135436 - 06/10/08 05:59 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Susan]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
FWIW, I think a light like the Fenix P1D is going to have pretty wicked visibility in something like a 90 degree cone at night. Even more so with night vision, which I would assume is SOP for night rescue (not much point being out there if you can't see).

Considering search patterns, I think this would make a huge difference over no light, or a non-strobe light.

Also, having and looking at the Fenix, I'd say it is likely to be pretty reliable in water. These are sturdy and reasonably constructed little lights.

Also, FWIW, the strobe could really help in the case of a land based rescue, esp. if they were searching by plane/helicopter w/night vision.

That said, as Russ said, the big problem is that you have to hold it. As you get tired and hypothermic, you aren't going to be able to hold it. And you might need your hands for other reasons.

All in all, as I said, it isn't an excuse not to prepare for whatever endeavor you are planning on -- but I do think they are powerful little tools that, as the thread suggests, could go a long way if caught unawares. And the thing is so small, there is no reason NOT to have it on you.

Remember the James Kim story -- at least at one point they used thermal imaging. Obviously a fire would have helped a lot....

-john

Edit: Well, a cell phone *might* do it, but the less effective the tool, the smaller the chance it will make the difference. And a cell phone is very unlikely to be very effective (and easily damaged by salt water).

Edited by JohnN (06/10/08 06:01 PM)

#135438 - 06/10/08 06:03 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
The bigger problem is run-time. How many night-time hours were they in the water before being picked up? The light has to last that long with no battery changes.

That's the great thing about LED based lights with strobe capabilities. The light is only active a small fraction of the time giving really good runtime.

-john

#135442 - 06/10/08 06:19 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting. I hadn't seen that rating on a Fenix, many are only dunkable such as the P1D CE on the same page in your link.

#135443 - 06/10/08 06:22 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: JohnN]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
This is a strange and bizarre day, a nice RAF woman gave me an ACR 2000 today, I get home and find this thread. Thursday, I'm off flying so its coming with me now. Still in event of a problem, I think I'll be OK. I'm having a jolly on the navy SAR Helo.

#135444 - 06/10/08 06:28 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Russ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

FWIW, the Fenix lights are constantly evolving. It is possible it is just due to improvements. The Q5 light I got is a brand new LED, and as a result it would follow that it has all the mechanical improvements they have made over time.

As usual, buyer beware. Research should be done on the specific item being purchased and it should be evaluated after you get it.

-john

Edited by JohnN (06/10/08 06:31 PM)

#135452 - 06/10/08 07:01 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: JohnN]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I keep a Firefly 3 attached to every life jacket. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/151463/377%20710%201214/0/Lights,%20Strobes%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/20/0?N=377%20710%201214&Ne=0&Ntt=Lights,%20Strobes%20&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=8&subdeptNum=50&classNum=51

With lithium batteries, which are good for ten years, the units will be there and operational if we ever need them. I have an older model that is more than 6 years old. It works fine. I test them a couple of times a season and replace the batteries every three to four years.

I also carry a flashlight (usually a Surefire A2) on a lanyard, but I would think trying to signal with it would get tiring. It is more of a backup, and useful on the boat for low light tasks.

On a couple of life jackets I also have a pouch with two orange flares, a mirror a cheapie survival knife, and a whistle.

The rule on my boat is that lifejackets are optional for adults (mandator for the kids) until the wind hits 25 knots or the seas four feet. Then its mandatory.

All this and I rarely go more than a mile off shore. I guess I have been reading this site too long.

#135466 - 06/10/08 09:04 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: DesertFox]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
No you haven't been reading this site too long, you are guilty of utilizing common sense. You have obviously learned that when things go bad, they go very bad, very quickly.

I think I'd sail with you!

#135469 - 06/10/08 09:30 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: MoBOB]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Look carefully...it appears to be a rhino, not a faceless pig...(visions of Pink Floyd *shudder*)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.