Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135366 - 06/10/08 11:46 AM Importance of just a little bit of preparation
Pablo Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5828457.html

Quote:
Sometimes the smallest things mean the most. For Steven Conway, that turned out to be an inexpensive emergency flashlight that could be attached to a life vest.

He bought it at local sporting goods store. Not likely to really need it, but you never know when a waterproof light might come in handy.

Then the keel fell off his boat Friday night and five guys suddenly were floating together in the Gulf of Mexico — five little dots bobbing in the water, all but invisible from an airplane or helicopter. Unless it's night, and there's intermittent blinking coming from the general vicinity of a capsized sailboat.

Conway's little light helped U.S. Coast Guard rescuers spot the group early Sunday morning. Soon they were safely aboard a helicopter heading back to Galveston, all save Roger Stone, whose dedication to getting two students out from under a capsizing boat ultimately cost him his own life.

#135372 - 06/10/08 01:03 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Pablo]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I wonder what make/model it was? I need to get one before my deep sea fishing trip out in the Gulf.

Though first I need to talk DW into letting me go deep sea fishing. For some reason she's afraid I'll do something dumb with a shark. I figure as long as the shark doesn't have fleas* I should be okay.

-Blast

*that's a sutble hint that I'm okay again with cat jokes. Grieve hard but fast then move on.

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135373 - 06/10/08 01:10 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Pablo]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am not a boat person, but if I were, I always figured that I would have an ACR strobe on me all the time, just in case...

#135374 - 06/10/08 01:11 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I'm okay again with cat jokes. Grieve hard but fast then move on..."

Glad to hear it! As Gus said in Lonesome Dove, "yesterday's gone, you can't get it back." That works for me...

#135375 - 06/10/08 01:12 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I carry a Princeton Tec Strobe for when I'm in a boat or canoe. It floats light side up and is water tight to a pretty crazy depth (designed for use with divers). I usually tie one end to 10 feet of cord and the other end to myself somehow.

It's almost perfect IMO...it just can't turn itself on.

#135379 - 06/10/08 01:39 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Again a lesson; People 'get religion' about being prepared and then panic if they don't have a fancy knife, year's supply of food and water and an ER of medical gear.It takes so very little to have an edge- even if that edge is a cheap Mora or flahslight.

#135381 - 06/10/08 01:47 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
+1 on the strobe. A flashlight gets used as a flashlight and then when you really need it the batteries are weak. A dedicated strobe won't be used except to check its condition. If you go over the battery should be fully charged. While you're at it get a good signal mirror (as in the D.R. PSP).

#135389 - 06/10/08 02:26 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Russ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Does anyone have This one?

If so could you right just a little review for all of us?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#135392 - 06/10/08 02:38 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Russ]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
+1 on the ACR strobe, have one on the stab jacket when diving. Always have fresh batteries or fully charged rechargeables, done the night before.

#135394 - 06/10/08 02:41 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: climberslacker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I have no idea of the models, but most of the lights for life jackets I've seen in my life are like those in the link provided by climberslacker. They have been simple little lights, with a battery and a flashlight battery. I've also had a strobe.

Both would always be better than none. If you have one, I think you'd pick based on your conditions. The strobes are far brighter and far easier to see than the other ones I've seen used. I'd check out the times each was expected to last when choosing.

However, if you expect to be in an area with a good amount of traffic, take the strobe.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.