Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#135563 - 06/11/08 05:18 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: DesertFox]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Know what the tug captains call kayaks in New York Harbor?

Speedbumps.

eek eek eek

Wait a minute, don't wind/human powered watercraft have the legal right-of-way? grin

-Blast, who learned long ago the difference between "de jure" and "de facto"
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135565 - 06/11/08 05:31 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Kayak? What kayak?

#135567 - 06/11/08 05:56 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

Speedbumps.

eek eek eek

Wait a minute, don't wind/human powered watercraft have the legal right-of-way? grin

Don't worry so much Blast. I spent five years on tugs in NY harbor, and I never knew of one tug captain that used a kayak as a speedbump. However, that might not stop a tug captain from calling a kayak a speed bump.

As far as right of way, the Rules of the Road would normally require a motor vessel to yield to one without a motor. The practicalities are that sometimes it's simply not possible to do anything to do so.

I will admit that I might have sunk a rowing shell once. I was light boat, heading somewhere fast, and when I came through a bridge, there was a rowing shell on the other side, about 1/3 mile away. I was gone by the time my wake reached them, but I bet they swore at me.

#135572 - 06/11/08 06:18 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

Speedbumps.

eek eek eek

De facto. The ancient maritime tradition. . . "Rights of Tonnage." smirk wink

#135580 - 06/11/08 07:12 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: DesertFox]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: DesertFox

De facto. The ancient maritime tradition. . . "Rights of Tonnage." smirk wink

The Gross Tonnage Rule also has a less well-known portion, "The Relative Hull Strength Collary."

#135581 - 06/11/08 07:12 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: DesertFox]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Per the Rules of the Road (1972 COLREGS)

Sailboats do NOT have the right of way, automatically, whether under power (they are at the bottom of heirarchy), under sail they do not have the right of way automatically although they are much closer to the top of the heirarchy (under vessel constrained by draft & vessel restricted in ability to manuever), or under power AND sail, they do not automatically have the right of way (they are at the bottom of heirarchy).

Sailing vessels have the right, when meeting or crossing another vessel to remain upwind of the other vessel so as to prevent the other vessel from "stealing" the sailing vessel's "wind".

In all cases, the overtaking vessel is the burdened vessel and must stay clear of the vessel being overtaken, at all times. The vessel being overtaken is required to maintain it's course and speed until the overtaking vessel is past and clear.

Sailing vessels are required to obey the steering rules as well as the sailing rules at all times!

By the way, I want to find those suckers (salesmen???) who keep telling sailboat owners that they have the Right of Way because they are a sailing vessel......

#135583 - 06/11/08 08:02 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: wildman800]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

wildman800, sounds like you pulled out your Farnsworth. You're certainly more current on your knowledge of the Rules than I am.

One rule I advise for all boaters, stay the heck out of the way of commercial traffic. Don't even get near it. You'll both be more comfortable.

Edited by Dan_McI (06/11/08 08:03 PM)

#135588 - 06/11/08 08:38 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Dan_McI]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yep, that's pretty much my rule. Anything that can kill me goes first.

Which is why I hold the door for my wife. grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135596 - 06/11/08 11:04 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Blast]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
+1 as usual, Blast!

#135600 - 06/11/08 11:42 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Dan_McI]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
well put advice to boaters-Dan

well put advice to all of us menfolk-Blast

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.