The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#135311 - 06/09/08 08:29 PM The CPR mask thread
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm interested in getting a supply of CPR masks for my EDC, backpack as well as for the car and home kits.

I searched, and while there are a number of threads that mention CPR masks, I thought it would be worthwhile to have one thread where we could collect information specifically on this topic.

I'd be interested in features discussed.

I'd be interested in hearing about specific makes and models.

Interested in sources.

To get things started, I'm assuming the primary desirable features are a one way valve and filter?

I'm a bit fuzzy how compact such a model can actually be.

In any case, please give your thoughts.

Thanks much,

-john

#135314 - 06/09/08 08:58 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: JohnN]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: JohnN
I'd be interested in hearing about specific makes and models.

Interested in sources.

My vote is for the Dynarex CPR Face Shield through Dixie EMS Supply Company (Brooklyn, NY). You can't really beat the price either at $1.58 each, and Dixie has great customer service (and all their telephone sales reps are certified EMT's).

Jim

#135316 - 06/09/08 09:09 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Paragon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've asked numerous EMRs ad EMTs both civilian and military and the concensus seems to be that their mouth won't go anywhere near somebody elses unless they have a mask with a one-way valve.

It only takes once to catch something nasty...and not everything can be cured once you get it. Not to mention the fact that I can't imagine what it would be like to get some vomit funneled into your mouth through a mask that doesn't have a valve...that's reason enough for me.

#135321 - 06/09/08 09:51 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: ]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
AMBU Life-Key on the key-chain: http://www.ambu.com/RespiratoryCare/Respiratory_Care.aspx?GID=GROUP51&ProductID=PROD871

Leardal (or similair) Pocket-Mask for large kit's and bags: http://www.laerdal.com/document.asp?subnodeid=8695273

And MDI Microshield for everything in between: http://www.mdimicrotek.com/prod_cpr-microshield.htm

#135325 - 06/09/08 10:49 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: JIM]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The only mask I can comment on from personal use is the Laerdal Pocket Mask. It is kinda big and clunky for EDC, unless you EDC a fair sized bag of some kind, but it works, and works well. If you happen to have an O2 bottle handy, you can hook the line up to a port in the mast and blow more O2 into the victim. Before they added the one way valve I saw a victim vomit into the mask; once the CPR'r got out of the way it looks like Mt. Vesuvius in Technicolor. I have several different brands of little bitty CPR masks that I carry around with me, but I have luckily never had to use one. And rule number one in the wonderful world of CPR is to NEVER EVER perform bareback CPR on anyone but a family member...

#135330 - 06/10/08 12:28 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: OldBaldGuy]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
IMHO, it's time to get the cpr masks out of the first aid kit.

The american heart association standard currently seems to be hands only CPR-apparently the alternating chest compression and relaxation cycle moves some air in the lungs and may be more effective than the 15 compressions/2 breaths version.(http://handsonlycpr.eisenberginc.com/resources.html)

The thing is, what you want between you and the patient is distance and fluid-proof barriers, not a plastic device that puts your face 4 inches from the patient. Transmission of body fluid born pathogens can occur with saliva or...well...any of the rest of the body fluids contacting the eyes, or areas of broken skin. Chest compressions cause aerosol dispersion of body fluids. ER optimists wear gloves, masks and goggles: pessimists add tyvek jumpsuits and hepa respirators and are usin ambu bags or mechanical ventilators, so the provider's face is well away from the patients face.
It is way too easy acquire a bloodborne disease even in the controlled environment of the hospital, even when the providers know the risks and have the protective equipment available to them. Trading rescuers lives for patients lives is not a good bargain.

#135333 - 06/10/08 12:46 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I wouldn't chuck that mask just yet, if you are really interested in possible life saving. As I understand it, the hands only thing only applies if you see the victim go down. If you stumble on one who is already down, full CPR is still the way to go. And yes, it can be dangerous. If you are in a uniform of any kind, you are pretty much committed to start. No uniform, you have to make the decision. Tearful family members of the victim can make it hard to walk away.

But I didn't read the whole link, so I might have missed something...

#135342 - 06/10/08 01:26 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: JIM]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: JIM
AMBU Life-Key on the key-chain

Are you aware the Ambu website actually lists this item as available by prescription only?

Jim

#135345 - 06/10/08 01:48 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Paragon]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Why the heck would a CPR mask be by Rx only? (yes, I see it, I just don't understand)

-john

Edited by JohnN (06/10/08 01:48 AM)

#135348 - 06/10/08 02:18 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: JohnN]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Also for those of us who have CPRO (CPR for the preoffesional rescuer) We are actually told not to do compression only cpr, but I would like to have an BVM myself, Also about the rx facemask, I was wondering the same thing, maybe it means you have to have certification??

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 362 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.