The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#136273 - 06/16/08 05:34 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: thseng]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Having seen more than one close friend or family member lay in an almost vegative state for a long long time, I don't want to go out that way. Quality of life means everything to me...

#136278 - 06/16/08 05:50 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: OldBaldGuy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I'm sorry that you had to go through that with your loved ones, OBG

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Quality of life means everything to me...

Just be careful. One day you make an offhand comment to your wife after seeing someone in a wheelchair "I wouldn't want to live that way." Next thing you know, they're telling her "Well, Mrs. Baldguy, if he recovers at all he'll be confined to a wheelchair, but if we just give him a little extra morphine..." A lot of people are in wheelchairs and very happy to be alive at all. I bet a lot of them once said "I'd never want to live that way."

I told my wife I don't ever want her to have to make that kind of decision. I instructed her to tell them to transplant my brain into a jar of nutrient solution if necessary.

Edited by thseng (06/16/08 05:51 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#136283 - 06/16/08 06:07 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: thseng]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Wheelchair I could live with...

#136288 - 06/16/08 06:20 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Arney]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Arney

Has anyone taken a CPR class in the past couple months? Just curious if they have switched the curriculum yet. For various practical reasons--like re-training instructors, using up the old materials and printing new materials, etc.--it could take a pretty long while before people are actually learning the new guidelines.

I just took the St. John Ambulance basic first aid with CPR C (+ AED) over the weekend.

Their method/technique is currently 30 compressions + 2 breaths for all casualties needing chest compressions (CPR or restricted airway) regardless of age. The only difference is the technique used for infants of course where you use 2 fingers instead of 2 hands for chest compressions.

The instructor wasn't allowed to comment on the new breathless style despite our curiousity as a group of students. For now, I'll be doing it as trained and have already picked up a pocket mask with a one way filter.

#136297 - 06/16/08 08:07 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...30 compressions + 2 breaths..."

I wonder what happened to 15:2 and 5:1???

#136304 - 06/16/08 08:52 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I guess they changed it to make it easier...she wouldn't really talk about that either...just that it's changed and that this is the right way.

I suspect AEDs have a lot to do with it. If you have an AED, you just go nuts until it tells you to stand back...then start when it tells you to start again. If you have to time 30, 15, or 5 compressions in the 2 minutes the AED gives you before hitting them with the juice, it could get confusing.

#136327 - 06/16/08 11:17 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: thseng]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: thseng
Sounds like y'all are in a hurry to die. The last thing that would keep me awake at night is worrying that someone might SAVE my life.

I understand where they are coming from. People need a reason to live just as a person needs a reason to survive in a survival situation. If a person does not have a reason to survive, they won't.

Jeanette Isabelle

#136328 - 06/16/08 11:21 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Wheelchair I could live with...

I Agree. A wheelchair is not the end of the world.

Jeanette Isabelle

#136363 - 06/17/08 01:35 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: thseng]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Not so much in a hurry to die, as aware of the truth that there are things that are worse than death, and that a significant number of the folks who arrest and die, quickly and cleanly, are resuscitated to endure a slow and tortured demise. Most of the folks I know who have worked in intensive care units do not wish to ever wake up in one.

#136367 - 06/17/08 01:50 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: nursemike]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Amen Nursemike.

I think the 15:2 and 5:1 are cut out of the lay CPR. However, IIRC, professional CPR still teaches a higher rate once an airway is established (Combitube, endotracheal, etc). I don't remember if it's 5:1 or what, but that's b/c I haven't had an arrest in the field for probably 3 years. Hospital is different, cuz the respiratory tech is bagging while someone bangs on the chest.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.