Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#135356 - 06/10/08 05:56 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: climberslacker]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
John,

I have several, all of which are different brands. Since I have only had to perform CPR in the back of an ambulance, or in the patients home and have had "full resuscitation" equipment, I have not had to use my pocket masks at any time. I do know the Laerdal masks are designed to actually fit an adult size BVM.

My primary carry pocket kit when on ambulance duty is the MDI rescue holster, which is found on the same website as Jim mentioned, just scroll down. I use the gloves from it with every patient contact and then replace them. I modified the contents of the holster when I noticed after a couple of years or so the mask was "splitting" from age. I put in the Laerdal key chain mask in a zip lock baggie and then added a small bottle of Purell. I actually have two pairs of gloves in the holster as one pair may rip, or you actually have to double glove.

Gloves in these kits (unless they are vinyl) should be replaced often as they deteriorate from age.

Take care,

Stargazer

#135364 - 06/10/08 10:20 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Paragon]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Really? Not over here it isn't confused

#135412 - 06/10/08 04:08 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Paragon]
red Offline

I just "mock-ordered" the AMBU life key at a web site and it didn't say anything about having a prescription right before the "submit order" button is pushed.

#135429 - 06/10/08 05:37 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: red]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

maybe it's just a fluke kind of thing, does anyone want to email them and find out?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#135430 - 06/10/08 05:42 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: red]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm an EMT-Intermediate, I work part time for a 911-only EMS system and I have done CPR for real. I have been the 2nd man on many ACLS calls (drugs, manual defib, 12-lead EKG, etc). Some points:

1) the little fold-up shields are definitely better than nothing, but if you're doing rescue breathing on your own (no BVM) I prefer the Laerdal pocketmask (or equivalent) with the 1-way valve. I keep a foldup shield on my person and a pocketmask in my bags/kits.

2) the AHA implemented compression-only CPR not because no one ever needs breaths but because untrained bystanders were avoiding doing any resuscitation at all due to valid fears of infection. The AHA has found that uninterrupted compressions are more important than breaths, so they figured compressions alone was better than nothing. If you have any decent training, however, you should include breaths and that leads to bullet point number 3...

3) cardiac arrest is NOT the only reason you may need to provide rescue breaths. Head injury, lightning strike, near drowning and overdoses are situations where the victim might have a pulse but their respiratory drive has been short circuited. Some properly-applied rescue breathing can potentially save their life.

"Coming back from the dead" after cardiac arrest is rare. Coming back after respiratory arrest is not as rare. It would be a shame if you couldn't provide those critical breaths.

Just as it is with so many of the things we discuss here: knowledge and training are more important than equipment selection. But when it comes to equipment, get the best you can carry.

#135437 - 06/10/08 06:00 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: climberslacker]
Kurt_W Offline
Stranger

Your local American Red Cross chapter offers a variety of CPR masks, from keychain masks to masks with oxygen inlets.

I have a couple of keychain masks and a couple of full sized ones. I have never had to use either yet, but I can vouch for their quality.

-Kurt

#135439 - 06/10/08 06:05 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Kurt_W]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't want to slow the discussion, but I thought I'm mention that I ordered a couple of the Laerdal Pocket Masks for my wife and I.

Thanks for all the great discussion and recommendations so far.

-john

#135445 - 06/10/08 06:30 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: JohnN]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

One thing that may be interesting, that I have already mentioned, is that if you take CPR for the professional rescuer, then they give you a ambu rescue mask, which you could use in one of your kits.

Have you seen the arrow?

#135446 - 06/10/08 06:36 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: climberslacker]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Oh also JohnN, from were did you order the pocket masks?

Have you seen the arrow?

#135447 - 06/10/08 06:38 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: climberslacker]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Interesting. My wife isn't a care provider, but does manage a medical clinic and she is taking the hands-on portion of their lifesaving course today. Be interesting to see if they get freebies.

I didn't ask details, this thread caused me to ask her about compression-only CPR, and she indicated they were not allowed to do compression-only CPR.

So what about practice with your mask? Would practice impact the performance of your mask? In other words, any reason not to use the mask while attending a class? What about sanitation, etc.?

Thanks,

-john

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.