Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#135032 - 06/06/08 09:30 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
If that's your job - I'd agree somewhat. Otherwise it will look like hammering a nail with a microscope. And the "right tool for the job" in this context sounds like Home Depot commercial ad slogan to me.

Edited by Alex (06/06/08 09:37 PM)

#135035 - 06/06/08 09:46 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Alex]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Alex
If that's your job - I'd agree somewhat. Otherwise it will look like hammering a nail with a microscope.

I don't understand your metaphor. Why not draw schematics with a program designed for drawing schematics?

Jeanette Isabelle

#135038 - 06/06/08 10:33 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
That's solely from my experience wink . I was teaching students to render professional video clips in Adobe Premiere, somewhere 10 years ago (I have the license and disks somewhere on the shelves). I'm (Ok, I was) proficient with my "Microscope". But that's not my job anymore. So, when I need to send a DVD to my family with my home video project (to "hammer a nail"), I'd rather start up a dummy proof simplistic video editing utility, which came with my digital camera, than go through Premiere installation and setup, recall the sequence of operation, all the tricks and quirks of it, plan the production release schedule, and e.t.c. Because I know that I wouldn't need a 1% of Premiere functionality for this little job, so I'd rather spend more time improvising my movie plot to be more fun and less boring .

Edited by Alex (06/06/08 10:36 PM)

#135237 - 06/09/08 03:51 AM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Seriously, are you trolling?

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Why use a diagram which uses the European symbol for resistor rather then the American symbol for resistor? Wouldn't more people recognize the American standard?

Population of America (USA): 300 million
Population of Europe (EU): 500 million

So, er, no.

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Why would anyone draw a schematic using MS Word?

Because they didn't have a napkin?

You are right, however, that a CAD program would be the right tool for the job. I recommend KiCAD. It's open source, cross-platform, and free.

Furthermore (and actually on topic), the solar garden lights can generate a lot of good and interesting ideas. I have read of a project that uses a step-up converter (a MAXIM chip) to power a weather station at 5V from a solar-lamp-based supply (1.2V), thus freeing it from wires. It had a wireless module to send its weather data periodically. Someone else had mounted the top panels from a number of lamps on their roof, and then ran small wires from the roof to the LEDs in the ceiling of the floor below, so that the rooms and hallways were always lit with a low background level of light. I myself did a simple hack for my mailbox: I pulled the top part off the lamp and soldered longer wires onto the LED. I mounted the top panel onto the top of my mailbox, and mounted the LED so it would shine on my house number on the front of the mailbox to make it more visible at night.

A

#135255 - 06/09/08 12:50 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: ame]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: ame
Seriously, are you trolling?

Excuse me. That was uncalled for. I posted a valid question.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135288 - 06/09/08 05:26 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep solar yard lamps in the back yard which keeps them from being stolen.

If power goes out, I take the light diffuser from the lamp, turn it upside down on the tabe and we will have enough light to play cards with. They also make great night lights in the bathrooms and in the kids' bedrooms.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.