Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#135204 - 06/09/08 01:31 AM Re: March or Die [Re: DFW]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: DFW
All that over a KNOT ??????? Whew!

As I recall, it was over a "very small cake, on which the words 'EAT ME' were beautifully marked in currants."

Jeanette Isabelle

#135210 - 06/09/08 02:10 AM Re: March or Die [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...marked in currants..."

Ya gotta watch those currants...

#135224 - 06/09/08 02:53 AM Re: March or Die [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
very small cake, on which the words 'EAT ME' were beautifully marked in currants."

ROTFLMAO!!! The next time I decide to quit a job I'll have to stop at the baker first.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135231 - 06/09/08 03:28 AM Re: March or Die [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would think that leaving the last posts, temper tantrums, and the creative responding commentary would be instructive. Nothing is quite as instructive of what not to do and the incorrect path as finding rotting corpses along the way.

#135234 - 06/09/08 03:46 AM Re: March or Die [Re: Blast]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I defer further comment on the square knot to Mors Kochanski's opinion. Personally, inspite of owning the obligatory paracord, I have a unwrapped coil of vintage, genuine, philipine Manila that left the decommissioned cutter Minnetonka on a midwatch in 1977 for my own BOB. And as the Dean of horsepacking writers, Joe Back wrote " when you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." I learned the comparative morallity of knots on Tillamook Bay in 1975. A winter flood sent a drowned cow floating out in the bay. Harbour Master Benny Larsen(y) decided it was a hazard to navigation ( and tourism.) So I had to go tow it in with my beloved MLB 36535. My CPO wouldn't let me take my rifle out and just bang a few .375 open sea cocks into it. So we took it in an alongside tow with four lines secured to the four now rigid legs. I got it to the harbour and tied it off to an unused slip, figuring the dairy was now responisble. Old Benny howled at my CPO about the slips being reserved for registered vessels. So I went down with some spraypaint and gave the cow some numbers and a license sticker on one hoove. No go! and I had to winch the cow into the back of the station utility truck. By now the cow was riper than Tillamook Cheese, which I still abhor, and as an aside a reason I never bought any Martindales from Cutsforth in that same local. I was pretty fed up, and tossed some old manila from the bosun's locker over the corpse and tied off with some granny knots. It really stank and I wasn't in the mood to do McNamara's lace or any other fancy work. I was going down the PCH for the city dump, wishing it was the stretch at Malibu instead when everything gave way. I heard a loud bump-splat! and pulled over a safe and sane 300 meters down the road in the dense fog. I could hear J brakes and see the lights of a big Peterbuilt logging truck hit the deceased. Soon after one of the two city sherrifs of Garibaldi rolled up, the ex navy one who hated coasties. He was in a real fix, should he cite the driver and irritate that big Oregon extractive industry, or trace the cow and cite the owner of that one? He wavered, and waved the truck on and retrieved a now bloody and putrescent head with plastic ear tag extant and placed it into a evidence bag.The rest of the cow soon vanished into seagull gullets, racoons and transients thumbing down the yellowbrick road to the Emerald City ( L.A.)I slowly slipped back unseen to my base like a Unterzeeboot Kapitain of old, resolved to learn the Trucker's hitch. I never really did, somebody invented and marketed ratcheting tie downs soon after. So, the moral is: If you decide to use sqaure knots, don't have a cow.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (06/09/08 03:52 AM)

#135236 - 06/09/08 03:50 AM Re: March or Die [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Now that is a sea story that I can believe since it was a Coastie who was involved!!!!! Semper Paratus, Chris!!!!!

#135241 - 06/09/08 10:45 AM Re: March or Die [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Old Benny howled at my CPO about the slips being reserved for registered vessels. So I went down with some spraypaint and gave the cow some numbers and a license sticker on one hoove. No go!

Now that is comedy!!!

#135242 - 06/09/08 10:45 AM Re: March or Die [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
... were beautifully marked in currants."

Classic...

#135252 - 06/09/08 12:38 PM Re: March or Die [Re: Mike_H]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Thank-you. I'll endeavor to come up with other books I can quote from.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135259 - 06/09/08 01:18 PM Re: March or Die [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...he has a bad back..."

You hear right. 'Specially today...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.