Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#134640 - 06/03/08 04:38 PM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Angel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Angel
I was around New Orleans after Katrina for a month and the biggest obstacle for us was finding a safe place to stay. All the parks were full, no houses available to rent and all the apartments were full or damaged. There was not even a place to pitch a tent. We ended up staying in our cars in a church parking lot which worked out ok because they had bathrooms and coffee in the morning, but it wasn't nearly as comfortable as it could have been if we could have just camped out. Everything was total chaos, even the wal-mart parking lot was full all the time. Everyone looked like zombies and we were all on edge. It was very disorienting. It's one thing to say I'll just camp out but it's another thing when there is no place to put a tent. People were guarding their land and there wasn't a trusting person to be found and you can't set up a tent just anywhere. Alligators and snakes were turning up in places they don't normally frequent. It was an eye opening experience for sure. We were lucky, at least we had cars to sleep in and a safe place to park at night.

They would be more expensive; where there any hotels available?

Jeanette Isabelle

#134641 - 06/03/08 04:43 PM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Angel Offline

In the area I was in there was no hotels or motels with vacancies. It wasn't a question of money at all, it was that there was nothing in the area. All the rooms that could be rented were already rented.

#134673 - 06/04/08 01:42 AM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Nomad]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well said! I have never been in a disaster that large, but after working thru a 6.4 earthquake that pretty much destroyed a small town, I have an admittedly small idea of what a biggie would be like. Those who worked thru things like Katrina are close to meeting my definition of heros...

#134674 - 06/04/08 01:45 AM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Hotel/motel rooms go FAST. If the displaced don't rent them, the government does, for its folks...

#134677 - 06/04/08 02:01 AM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Blast
Nomad,

That was probably the best, most useful post ever made to ETS.

Thank you very, very much.

-Blast

Yikes... +1 to Blast. Thank you Nomad. Talk about pulling no punches.

Looks like it's time to stock up another case of MRE's, pallet of water, a roll of TP, bottle of vitamins and maybe a box or two of 00 buck... just in case.

#134679 - 06/04/08 02:10 AM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Angel Offline

In a situation like Katrina. Everyone is on edge and a suspect. There was a curfew so it wasn't a good thing to be driving around at night. I was very lucky I was able to stay at the church parking lot. It was uncomfortable, hot and the mosquitoes were terrible, but I don't think I've ever appreciated a parking space more. The church was feeding hundreds of people during the day. After about the second week their stove broke down so I gave them the money I would have used for a motel room so they could get it fixed. There was alot of hard working people there from all over. It was an experience i'll never forget.

#134691 - 06/04/08 04:13 AM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Angel]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Angel
In a situation like Katrina. Everyone is on edge and a suspect. There was a curfew so it wasn't a good thing to be driving around at night. I was very lucky I was able to stay at the church parking lot. It was uncomfortable, hot and the mosquitoes were terrible, but I don't think I've ever appreciated a parking space more. The church was feeding hundreds of people during the day. After about the second week their stove broke down so I gave them the money I would have used for a motel room so they could get it fixed. There was alot of hard working people there from all over. It was an experience i'll never forget.

In this discussion of a post-disaster situation and what were the relative merits of various resources and how people helped, or failed to help, it may be useful to remember that politics and the attitudes and assumptions of those in power had a huge influence on the experience of the people caught in the middle of the mess.

It didn't make the news but literal millions of dollars in aid and materials were held back by the powers that be. The ruler of Myanmar isn't the only dictator who has refused assistance to maintain control and avoid any suggestion of being weak:

http://www.pacificviews.org/weblog/archives/003504.html

It is to Wal-Mart's credit that they were willing to help and testament to their clout that they were allowed to get through.

#134699 - 06/04/08 11:46 AM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Art_in_FL]
Angel Offline

Not once when I was in New Orleans did I think about what the politicians were doing to help, I was too busy keeping myself safe. I don't depend on the government for anything, especially in a disaster. If you wait around for someone else to take care of you then you have to accept whatever they choose to do for you. I take care of me first then i'll help who I can.

#134797 - 06/05/08 12:39 AM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: Angel]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I remember after Hurricane Charley in 05 that a lot of places were closed initially...I also remember a lot of places trying to open as quickly as possible....remember their business is HOW THEY LIVE.... I found that it really depended on where the business was and how hard it was hit.....People in areas not as hard hit opened sooner....areas with major destruction were closed for awhile.....some for over a month.....

#134850 - 06/05/08 02:22 PM Re: What to Expect After a Disaster [Re: CJK]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
The often mentioned SARAJEVO SURVIVAL GUIDE gives a good view of the life and difficulties presented to those in a war zone. Not a natural disaster, but much of the result is similar. Well worth the time to read.

http://www.friends-partners.org/bosnia/surintro.html

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.