Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#135135 - 06/08/08 12:58 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: dweste]
sodak Offline
Addict

I like your modular idea. I have had, however, the male/female thingies fail on me, so I group items on a semi-large keychain key and just put it on or take it off the carabiner. But you still have a slick idea.

#135147 - 06/08/08 01:45 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: M_a_x]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...hunters use FMJ to minimize the thread to the environment (expanding bullets are standard though)..."

That I do not understand at all...

#135148 - 06/08/08 01:52 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: sodak]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...I have had, however, the male/female thingies fail on me..."

So have I, but rarely. I use them on my normal carry keys (a pretty large bunch of keys and stuff by the way), and have been using this particular "pull apart" for probably ten or eleven years now. The trick is to buy quality, usually from a lock/key shop. The ones you see near the checkout at WallyWorld are usually not high quality, those will normally fail much sooner. I have had worse luck with the little gate springs breaking on the "not for climbing" mini-biners...

#135154 - 06/08/08 02:26 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: sodak
I have had, however, the male/female thingies fail on me...

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
So have I, but rarely. I use them on my normal carry keys (a pretty large bunch of keys and stuff by the way), and have been using this particular "pull apart" for probably ten or eleven years now. The trick is to buy quality, usually from a lock/key shop. The ones you see near the checkout at WallyWorld are usually not high quality, those will normally fail much sooner.

Exactly what I was going to post.

The ones that I use are Victorinox stainless steel coupling key fobs and I have never had one come apart unintentionally.

Jim

#135156 - 06/08/08 03:12 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: OldBaldGuy]
djk010468 Offline
Stranger

I don't either. I don't know any hunter who uses FMJ, nor do I know of any threat to the environment from bullets. I've been a hunter for 28 years, grew up in a family of hunters. In fact, FMJ is illegal in some states for hunting purposes, as it is considered inhumane.

Flesh is elastic, and fmj will make a small hole, pass through, and that hole closes up. Unless it hits something immediately fatal, it means a wounded animal.

And let's be clear, even a heart shot is not always immediately fatal - that's a Hollywood myth. The heart can continue to beat and circulate when damaged - depending on the extent of the damage.

The only certain immediate stopper is a hit the the CNS - the brain or upper brain stem. Most gunshot wound fatalities are caused by blood loss and shock.

#135158 - 06/08/08 03:20 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: OldBaldGuy]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Usually hunters would use expanding bullets for the better effect. The bullets tend to fragment and some of the fragments spray from the exit wound. In most cases that is not a problem when hunting. A hunting magazine conducted a test and found that the fragments may cover an angle of about 45° from the original direction of the shot. When tracking down a wounded animal with the help of a dog (the dog must be used around here), the dog may be in that cone and get hit. This is why for this situation usually FMJ is used. It does not pose a thread to such a big area. That does not mean that there is no risk of unintended hits though. The probable deflection was found to be up to 10°.

#135168 - 06/08/08 07:48 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: M_a_x]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...When tracking down a wounded animal with the help of a dog (the dog must be used around here), the dog may be in that cone and get hit..."

I guess that is possible, if the dog is behind the wounded animal. Seems a little farfetched to me, but then I haven't hunted in your part of the world...

#135238 - 06/09/08 04:03 AM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: OldBaldGuy]
djk010468 Offline
Stranger

Dogs for big game are illegal around here.

Frankly, I have recovered the bullet inside the animal. Soft points don't usually fragment, they mushroom.

I wouldn't be shooting at the animal with my dog in the area. Seems pretty stupid to me.

What do you need the dog for, anyway? If you make a clean shot, you don't have to chase the animal very far.

I think there is some misinformation here.

#148954 - 09/15/08 02:23 PM Re: Paragon's standard (and supplemental) EDC [Re: acropolis5]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Nice EDC set-up. I suggest you add 1-2 hot ironed yellow/ orange bandanas, inserted into a Gerber Breast Milk Bag. You can reinforce the bag edges with duct tape and even scotch tape on to the bag some extra flat rolled duct tape. Its a good pocket carry bandage/smoke mask/signal flag/dew rag. Works for me anyway.

+1 on the bandanas

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.