Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#135107 - 06/07/08 09:27 PM Re: Candles [Re: Russ]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
thanks for the link LED i'll give that a try wonder how it would work using bio diesel.

#135110 - 06/07/08 10:57 PM Re: Candles [Re: librarian]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: librarian
I second using the religious candles. I grew up on the Texas coast where part of our hurricane supplies always included those thick glasses full of slow burning wax! That way if the candles melt due to heat (like stored in the garage in the "emergency box"), there is no harm done. In fact I have one on my beside table along with matches because we have the electricity go out whenever there is a bad storm or some construction worker cuts the line : )

The only problem with religious candles is you have to pay a buck before you light them up (the Catholics might get this) laugh

#135115 - 06/08/08 12:30 AM Re: Candles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We have LED lights, "super" flashlights, LED lanters, Coleman fuel lanters, propane lanterns, etc etc etc, and a bunch of batteries and fuel on hand. The tealight lanters are kind of a back up to the back up. Low risk of fire in most situations...

#135116 - 06/08/08 12:30 AM Re: Candles [Re: LED]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

We also use the UCO Candelier Lantern with 3 - 9 hr. dripless candles. I found my UCO Candelier at a Second Hand store! What a find! I had been wanting one, just didn't want to pay $30 something and there it was for $4.

We also use our Petzl LED headlamps when the power goes out. Leaves ours hands free and we don't have to carry candles around the house. It makes it easier for me to cook too.

I have '1 candle' UCO lanterns and a headlamp in the BOB's in the car's.

Joy

#135117 - 06/08/08 12:56 AM Re: Candles [Re: MDinana]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Religious candles here too. The Mexican grocery store has them dirt cheap, plus they bring back childhood feelings of safety.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135121 - 06/08/08 01:47 AM Re: Candles [Re: Blast]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: DFW TX
We also use the prayer candles. Not only are they cheap, but the glass holder limits the flickering and makes me feel a bit safer. Our local grocery store has a clear glass version.

#135140 - 06/08/08 01:23 PM Re: Candles [Re: Jackal]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I went through a tea-light phase but I found they didn't work well in practice. They only produce about 1/3rd of the light of proper candles. I have a holder which takes 7 of them but it's not the most convenient solution. I'd rather have proper household candles.

I'm not a big fan of candles in any case. They are quite bulky and there is a fire risk. I have a variety of LED torches instead, some of which will run for over 100 hours on one set of batteries. It takes less room to stockpile batteries than candles. I keep both disposable batteries and the Eneloop rechargeables. I can recharge from solar power or from a car lighter socket as well as from the mains. The Eneloops are the low-self-discharge ones so you can charge them in advance and they'll mostly hold it until needed.

If you are going to use candles - and I do have a few - then it's worth finding a good candelabra to hold them. You can stick them to a saucer using a bit of their own melted wax, but if you need a lot of light a proper holder is safer and more convenient.

#135169 - 06/08/08 07:50 PM Re: Candles [Re: Jackal]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

Here is the link to UCO Candle Lanterns for anyone who isn't familar with them. They have one for tea lights too, since so many of you seem to use tealights. I really like them: http://candlelantern.com/

#135171 - 06/08/08 08:20 PM Re: Candles [Re: Joy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

what about This candle? they come in 44 hour and 120 hour candles and you can cook from them, and according to their site can boil water. I have never used them but they look really good.

insert disclamer

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#135190 - 06/08/08 11:08 PM Re: Candles [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I gave up candles a few years ago. I use oil lamps and LED lights.
I have a 12-LED lantern (from Cabalas) that uses 4-D batteries, I have not changed the batteries in it for going on 4-years, I bought it with batteries in it and it still has that set in it (A $50.00 light discounted to $15.00 because the remote was missing.) I check to make sure they are not leaking, but the lantern keeps working, and is fairly bright as far as battery powered lights go.

For oil lamps I have a collapsible backpacking lantern that runs 15-hours on 2-oz of lamp oil. I also have 6 railroad lanterns that were in my grandmother’s garage. They all work well. They may be worth a lot, never looked them up. 4 of them have the matching RR line name etched into the glass and stamped on the lantern. Don’t really care what they are worth as I don’t plan to sell them.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.