Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#134900 - 06/05/08 11:26 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*whispers* Jeanette, he's English,

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#134903 - 06/06/08 12:40 AM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: ironraven]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
british please

#134910 - 06/06/08 01:59 AM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Why use a diagram which uses the European symbol for resistor rather then the American symbol for resistor? Wouldn't more people recognize the American standard?

Jeanette Isabelle

Seems easy enough to read, all resistors are marked with the values as is the pot.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#134916 - 06/06/08 02:23 AM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: BobS]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: BobS
Seems easy enough to read, all resistors are marked with the values as is the pot.

It is easy to read, I did not understand why the American standard wasn't used. Iron Raven explained it to me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134928 - 06/06/08 03:34 AM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: ]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I found a floating pool light on discount that I snapped up for the quality panel that was in it, haven't built anything out of it because I already have the solar gadgets I need. The plan was to buy a second car charger for my cell phone and cut the tip off and wire it "directly" to the panel (adding any resistors and whatever) to make a pocket size phone charger.

Since I already have two solar panels and one or more dynamo gadgets able to charge the phone the frugal side of me won't spend the money, but good luck to you, and let us know what works out.

#134934 - 06/06/08 04:53 AM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
C'mon! Consider yourself drawing the American resistor sign in MS Word or Paintbrush with only your mouse... Note then, how much time it took (1-5 min) and divide that by how neat and professional your resistor looks on a diagram (1 to 5), that's the amount of frustration you get...

[rant on]
American standard... Its roots are in the Imperial standard, which purpose was to complicate things so much that they are less accessible for the poor people, I believe. I.o.w., who can't pay for higher education or/and for a pair of compasses.
[rant off]

Back on topic. I'd get some PowerFilm scraps instead (I did already actually). Much more powerful than what could be found on any garden lights. Much smaller, lighter, shatterproof, waterproof. The current required to light a diode is nothing compared to what a Li-Ion battery needs to replentish its juice.

Edited by Alex (06/06/08 06:41 AM)

#134945 - 06/06/08 12:43 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Alex]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Alex
C'mon! Consider yourself drawing the American resistor sign in MS Word or Paintbrush with only your mouse.

Why would anyone draw a schematic using MS Word?

Jeanette Isabelle

#134978 - 06/06/08 04:36 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -

Because usually people have at least MSOffice Basic available on their computers preinstalled. And that's usually the only vector graphics editor readily available for quick schematics drafting (suitable enough for sharing ideas on forums for example). OrCAD would be overkill for that.

#134990 - 06/06/08 05:14 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Alex]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
For quick schematic sketches, I suggest the free ExpressSCH software. Its meant to be used with the free PCB layout software which is meant to be used to order quick turn PCBs.

The catch is that the format only works with their service, it is only really suited for the hobbyist. I use Eagle serious stuff but I still use ExpressSCH for quick sketches.

Back on topic, I suspect they use a CdS cell for the light sensor. The circuit shown by AFLM will work buy the LED will come on gradually as the ambient light dims. I would use a comparator with hysteresis so that it snaps on at some point. Actually, I'd use a little microcontroller that sleeps for most of the time and just wakes up to check the light level once in a while.

But that's just me.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#135024 - 06/06/08 09:04 PM Re: idea.... solar yard lamps! [Re: Alex]
Carpal Tunnel

Because usually people have at least MSOffice Basic available on their computers preinstalled. And that's usually the only vector graphics editor readily available for quick schematics drafting (suitable enough for sharing ideas on forums for example).

Granted, not everyone has a CAD program installed on their computer. On the other hand, not everyone is able to read schematics, not to mention draw them.

OrCAD would be overkill for that.

A CAD program is the right tool for the job.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 463 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
11 minutes 35 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.