The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#226731 - 06/26/11 09:56 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I did not give this much thought at the time you asked but recently I have been wondering about this. How does one wash the dishes when away from civilization?

This question is open to anyone to answer.

Jeanette Isabelle

One method is to use the lye present in the ashes of many hardwood trees to saponify (residual) oils in your cooking pot. It doesn't need to be a precise blend; simply mix some water, ashes, and oil into a paste and use that to scrub. It's not as harsh a scouring powder as sand or salt, and won't scratch the metal, which can make everything stick.

Also deglazing a still hot pot or pan with cool liquid is not only a great way to free cooked on bits, but add a flour slurry and you've made gravy!

Edited by Eastree (06/26/11 09:57 PM)

#226736 - 06/26/11 10:37 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Alex
How many American people really know how to properly wash dishes clean when camping in the field with no hot water, no soap, no sponges? Typical answer: "Why would I want to wash paper plates and plastic utensils?"

I did not give this much thought at the time you asked but recently I have been wondering about this. How does one wash the dishes when away from civilization?

Jeanette Isabelle

It depends on your definition of "away from civilzation."

Are you out for a few days or a couple of weeks hiking trip? Carry a small bottle of dish detergent. The travel size (2 oz) bottles of shampoo are available from almost any drugstore for around a dollar or so. Once you have emptied the shampoo, fill the fill the bottle with dish detergent. Used in small judicious amounts, this bottle will last quite a while.

There are other methods of cleaning pots and dishes such as using sand, ashes etc. However getting them completely clean of food containaments is vital as there is nothing worse then getting a severe case of the trots 20 miles from home because of food posioning. One thing to keep in mind also, food poisoning can develop in as little as a few hours to a few days after intial contact. This would not bode well if you are 3 days into a hike with no methods of rescue. Attempting to walk out in such as weakened state could be life threatening in it's own right.

John Lubbock

#226748 - 06/27/11 12:32 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
How many American people really know how to properly wash dishes clean when camping in the field with no hot water, no soap, no sponges? Typical answer: "Why would I want to wash paper plates and plastic utensils?"

Jeanette Isabelle

I use the Three Tub method. First tub holds hot, soapy water. Second holds warm rinse water, third holds bleach sterilizing solution of 1 teaspoon bleach per two gallons water.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#226757 - 06/27/11 03:19 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My cavalier answer is lick my plate clean.

But more to the point, if we don't have water we have a problem. Water is always a consideration for us, selecting a good spot long enough to cook a meal that needs clean up.

Perfect world/planning: 3 tub method.
Usual multi-day trip: Dr. Bonners, boiled water, rag.
In a pinch: sand scrub and swirl some water around with fingers to clean out.

To my folly perhaps, I rely a lot on sunlight to sanitize my cook/drink wares between eating. I've always believed and not suffered for it yet, that if I modestly clean a cup, plate, bowl or pot and let the suns UV rays on it for a bit, I'll be good to go. I try to be as neat as possible with my cooking/eating gear anyway so maybe its just hoping it works.

#290586 - 09/17/18 05:13 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Alex]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas

I really do not need to know how to sharpen a blade.

You've got my point. You take for granted that you can always go and buy a new pair of EMT shears, if the blades of your old one are dull. That's cheaper than mastering of a new imperishable skill. I'd call it vicious approach in terms of ETS oriented mindset cool

It's been more than ten years. They are still sharp.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290587 - 09/17/18 07:28 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Old threads never die, thy just fade away...(and possibly dull with the passage of time).

#292555 - 06/24/19 09:32 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
willpo Offline
Stranger

I favor an old hickory paring knife $6 at wally's. I can get a skinning/butchering edge back on it in 20 seconds, if I havent hit a bone. If I have hit a bone, it might take a full minute. ;-)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.