The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#225730 - 06/11/11 11:00 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wow, that got a little intense there. I see the value of both a knife and EMS shears. I love my EMT shears, leatherman and my folder. Though he made me cringe (our code is to be respectful, right?) Alex does have (had?) a good point - learning to sharpen, and take care of our tools - no matter what they are - is a smart move.

BTW - nice to see OBG again. I did a double-take when I saw his name.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225733 - 06/11/11 11:27 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Alex does have (had?) a good point - learning to sharpen, and take care of our tools - no matter what they are - is a smart move.

Of course I need to take care of my tools. I keep them clean. Do I need to sharpen any of them?

Jeanette Isabelle

#225734 - 06/11/11 11:44 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Probably not in regular day-to-day life, as long as you have dispoable income to sharpen/replace the sharp ones when they get dull. Knowing how to sharpen them could be indispensible in an extended use situation, especially if finding somewhere to have them sharpened/replaced becomes difficult or impossible.

#225737 - 06/11/11 11:56 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Probably not in regular day-to-day life, as long as you have dispoable income to replace the sharp ones when they get dull. Knowing how to sharpen them could be indispensible in an extended use situation, especially if replacing them becomes difficult or impossible.

Knives dull as you use them. A dull knife is a dangerous knife. If you don't use knives much I guess you can send them out to be sharpened or replace them, but I prefer to save the money and time by keeping my knives sharp myself.

#225739 - 06/12/11 12:17 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Probably not in regular day-to-day life, as long as you have dispoable income to replace the sharp ones when they get dull. Knowing how to sharpen them could be indispensible in an extended use situation, especially if replacing them becomes difficult or impossible.

I brought this up after years have passed that even with an additional three years, they still do their job. Is having them for five years enough to prove my point or do we need to wait an additional five years?

Jeanette Isabelle

#225740 - 06/12/11 12:17 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Knives dull as you use them. A dull knife is a dangerous knife. If you don't use knives much I guess you can send them out to be sharpened or replace them, but I prefer to save the money and time by keeping my knives sharp myself.

I totally agree! (I should have said "sharpen or replace".) There are a lot of things that it pays to know how to do yourself.

#225744 - 06/12/11 01:01 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

There are a lot of things that it pays to know how to do yourself.

Oh, I agree. I'm glad to know to check and replace a vacuum tube, run a number of disk utilities in DOS, configure DOS, build a computer out of junk parts, flash the BIOS, perform a low-level format on an SCSI hard drive. . . .

Jeanette Isabelle

#225745 - 06/12/11 01:07 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

I brought this up after years have passed that even with an additional three years, they still do their job. Is having them for five years enough to prove my point or do we need to wait an additional five years?

Jeanette Isabelle

If your point is that in your experience and for your specific needs, EMT shears are a good choice, that point was made three years ago.

The other, equally valid, point from the thread is that nothing lasts for ever and stuff happens to even well cared for and carefully used equipment. Having the skills and means to repair and restore your equipment as it wears or if it gets damaged is one way to mitigate that eventuality. There are several others and individuals will need to pick what works for their circumstances.

Thanks for resurrecting an enlightening discussion - Seeing OBG in a discussion again was a nice surprise.

-Eric

#225747 - 06/12/11 01:22 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Eric]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Eric
If your point is that in your experience and for your specific needs, EMT shears are a good choice, that point was made three years ago.

That point was made three years ago. Time, however, was needed to determine if a certain skill is needed for everyone.

Jeanette Isabelle

#225748 - 06/12/11 01:29 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Instead of posting a direct reply, I defer to bacpacjac and Eric who have demonstrated outstanding diplomatic prowess today.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.