Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#135056 - 06/07/08 02:29 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

I really do not need to know how to sharpen a blade.

You've got my point. You take for granted that you can always go and buy a new pair of EMT shears, if the blades of your old one are dull. That's cheaper than mastering of a new imperishable skill. I'd call it vicious approach in terms of ETS oriented mindset cool

Quote:

I should have nipped the thread derailment in my previous post. If you wish to continue the environmental discussion, we can do so in a new thread.

Thanks, but nevermind.

P.S.
No offense here, just a little research. You've mentioned once that you consider yourself a geek? "Female geeks rule!" - no doubt! smile I can bet you're using Apple MAC, listening to iPod, and have the iPhone (or at least want to have all of them)? Is that correct? smile

Edited by Alex (06/07/08 02:34 AM)

#135058 - 06/07/08 02:37 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Alex]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Alex
P.S.
No offense here, just a little research. You've mentioned once that you consider yourself a geek? "Female geeks rule!" - no doubt! smile I can bet you're using Apple MAC, listening to iPod, and have the iPhone (or at least want to have all of them)? Is that correct? smile

I'm using a Linux machine at the moment but I do own a Mac.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135060 - 06/07/08 02:47 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Oh yeah...

#135066 - 06/07/08 03:56 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Back on topic. Seriously thinking, my everyday vital tool for the past 6 years is my Palm PDA (Sony TH55). No phone in it because phone function consumes too much power (but I have BT and WiFi on it for emergencies). It holds the charge for ~12 days of typical use. And I have 4 ways of charging it in my EDC vest and 4 additional ways to charge it in my almost EDC messenger bag. The primary function of my PDA is to store important information and software tools.

So, in fact I EDC:
-several hundreds of books always at hands with and without diagrams and images, including work related books, maps of buildings I used to work in, recreational reading, and sure thing survival related materials.
-all my important documents (including credit cards) scanned and stored on PDA, readily available for viewing and printing over BT or WiFi.
-I have very accurate astronomy software and GPS software on it for navigation and trip planning aid.
-translators from several languages.
-several interactive electronic encyclopedias on different subjects (from knots to internal medicine).
-special application for all of security access information I need (online services and resources logins, rooms codes, ID's etc).
-It's my primary contacts/important phones and addresses -book too.
-If I need to capture any new information, I'm using only this PDA to write a hand note/diagram, photograph or videotape an object/label/printed page, record voice note. Later I'm spending some time on compacting and sorting of that information right on PDA screen.

-Also I have a variety of means for automation and software development on it, including PIC programming software, so I can improvise many additional or external functions I might need for rapid prototyping of custom computer controlled electronic devices, which could be useful in survival situations too, but that's a very long topic.

All of that requires only 4GB of storage on T-Flash cards (I have a spare 4GB set in a safe place too, mirrored from the primary set bi-weekly)

And everything in a form factor and weight of a little paper note book (1/2" thick). Yes, I have several ways of physical protection from elements and theft for it depending on situation (not to mention that I have 1 almost identical spare device and 2 spare batteries for it)...

---

P.S.
Thank you, JeanetteIsabelle. I'm not going to comment that any farther. But I tell you a real life story.

A friend of mine, who was very bright unix/linux developer for a long time and now developing MAC OS drivers, asked one of his new highly ranked supervisors: Why there is no the widely available everywhere else feature 'Z' in Leopard? The answer from the Senior Architect was: "Steve said, users don't need that".

Edited by Alex (06/07/08 04:11 AM)

#135075 - 06/07/08 09:09 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Alex]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
dull your skills,

I don't see how.

Example.
How many American people really know how to properly wash dishes clean when camping in the field with no hot water, no soap, no sponges? Typical answer: "Why would I want to wash paper plates and plastic utensils?"

EMT shears example explicitly? Ok. Have you ever considered studying the finest skill of blade sharpening? Or do you know how to cut steel wire with your bare hands (simple physics)? Typical answer: "I don't need that. I have my environment. Granted."...

Regarding the environment pollution - every tiny bit adds.

EMT shears have a serrated blade, and can't be sharpened. They also have a rivited joint - non adjustable. And yeah, I've sharpened scissors. EMT shears are stamped, and are made disposable for a good reason. That EMT part of the name? You're going to be cutting stuff (clothes, bandages etc) that ARE covered in biological materials - blood, puss, vomit, feaces, urine etc. You toss them in the "red bag" when you're done - a LOT easier than taking a pair of scissors apart for sterilization, and then having to re-sharpen right after because the steam and chemicals have dulled the edge
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#135112 - 06/07/08 11:48 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I guess I meant the Platonic ideal of scissors. Useful items in all their many forms. Shouldn't run with any of them.

30 years ago, before EMT's were invented, scissors with broad, flattened tip on the lower blade were called Lister Bandage Scissors. Nurses carried them, and they were among the instruments on dressing trays, cuz you can cut dressings without cutting patients with them. Lord Lister, who invented the scissors and initiated the use of phenol (carbolic acid) as a disinfectant (Listerine, these days) died in 1912. Lister Scissors been around for a long time, and, 30 years ago, were precision instruments of surgical steel, with metal screw hinge pins. They could be resharpened and tightened, and had a long useful life. Then health care cost became an issue, and it was discovered that it was cheaper to buy East Asian stainless steel instruments for suture sets and dressing trays, and to use once and discard, than it was to maintain a central sterile receiving facility and resharpen and auticlave the good stuff. Along with that came the EMT scissors, stamped, serrated, $1 apiece (versus $40 for the forged real deal). ER nurses are thrifty sorts; many of us tossed used, cleaned disposable instruments in our lockers at the end of the shift. I had about 30 pounds of stainless discards. The old stuff worked better than the new stuff, but the new stuff is okay, and it is all pretty biodegradeable-eventually it turns back into the iron oxides from which it was made.

DR's debris hut has many rooms, and can accommodate all of us-whether we carry SAK, EMT scissors, or a kukri. Whatever cordage we choose, whatever knots we tie, whatever food we store, we are more alike than different. If I got to choose anyone as a partner in adversity, I would sooner choose any forum member, no matter how much we differ in philosophy, than any non-forum member. Let us be kind to one another, and celebrate the differences, rather than beat each other up. We have to take care of each other-no one else will do it for us.
Kum ba yah, folks.

Edited by nursemike (06/07/08 11:51 PM)
Edit Reason: loss of train of thought-

#135119 - 06/08/08 01:10 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: nursemike]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
If I got to choose anyone as a partner in adversity, I would sooner choose any forum member, no matter how much we differ in philosophy, than any non-forum member.

+1000

Knife, scissors, chipped rock. It doesn't matter as long cuts what the owner will likely need cut.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/08/08 03:04 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135136 - 06/08/08 12:59 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I don't have EMT shears but I do prefer scissors for a lot of cutting jobs. I currently carry a Vic Rambler which has a small set of nail scissors, which I won't be without because I need them for my nails. It also has a small knife and I find that for opening packages etc the scissors are better.

Speaking of appropriate tools, I find that decent fingernails are invaluable and think it's a waste to gnaw them down to the quick, or to let them grow so long that they become fragile.

I'm currently undecided about pocket pry-bars. I have several and have carried them in the past - generally around 3" long or less. Currently I carry a Leatherman Juice, which I figured was a big and chunky enough piece of metal to do many pry jobs. However, I'm having second thoughts about it. Partly, I admit, because pocket prybars in the Atwood vein are so cute; jewellery for men, really.

I live and work in an urban environment and neither need nor desire a big knife or full-sized scissors. I don't really want to be carrying Rambler and Juice and a prybar as it seems a bit much.

#135258 - 06/09/08 01:17 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I have and use EMT shears for EMS work, but for everyday (non-pocket knife use) I prefer Fisker’s gardening shears Fiskars Garden Shears they are sturdy and at least for me cut better then EMT shears on a more varied list of materials. I have found them as cheap as $5 (clearance time) at Target, craft stores, etc and even at full price are only around $8-9.

EDC: SAK and Juice KF4

Pete

#225728 - 06/11/11 08:38 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Alex]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas

I really do not need to know how to sharpen a blade.

You've got my point. You take for granted that you can always go and buy a new pair of EMT shears, if the blades of your old one are dull. That's cheaper than mastering of a new imperishable skill. I'd call it vicious approach in terms of ETS oriented mindset cool

To this day I have the same pair of EMT sheers I bought at least five years ago. They still do the jobs I need them to do and no, I have not sharpened them. Since one tool is not right for everybody and every situation, is one skill right for everybody and every situation?

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.