Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#135 - 02/08/01 03:06 PM Am I missing anything?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Thought I'd ask if you guys thought I was missing something from the gear I carry in my car and in my briefcase.<br><br>In my car I have a wool blanket, hat, gloves, and scarf (since this is winter), a bottle of water, a bag of nuts, a army surplus folding shovel (I love that thing), a non-folding car shovel, mini-tool set (not that I'd know what to do with it), small crowbar, small hammer, and leather work gloves, in addition to the normal stuff associated with car maintenance.<br><br>In the nylon briefcase I take to work with me, I have a mini-medical kit in a Ziploc bag, and other stuff, much of it in Ziploc bags, such as a signal mirror, space blanket, duct tape, 50 feet of 550 paracord, three disposable lighters, a Suunto Comet compass/thermometer, Mini Fox 40 whistle, folding sissors, a 2x3-inch StarFlash signal mirror, mini-sewing kit, and AA Mini-MagLite.<br><br>I won't bore you with what I carry on my person. Grin. Thanks.<br><br>Craig <br><br>

#136 - 02/08/01 05:42 PM Re: Am I missing anything?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I carry a GPS ( its also serves as the speedodometer for my old jeep!!!) and a cigarette lighter charger for my cell phone in addition to my emergency stuff.<br><br>

#137 - 02/08/01 06:34 PM Re: Am I missing anything?
Craig Offline

Someone else I know also suggested a small GPS because I have a terrible sense of direction. Guess I'll have to look into that.<br><br>

#138 - 02/09/01 03:37 AM Re: Am I missing anything?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CD's make wonderful signal lights.Now here is where it gets devious.Kids in the family?Tell them you want to build closer ties.Keep the Marylyn Manson,snoop Doggy Dog etc. in car.In emergency dispay as multiple signals.Play Sinatra,De Bussy,Song of the Humpback whale while waiting rescue.A folding bike would be nice too.<br><br>

#139 - 02/09/01 08:59 AM Re: Am I missing anything?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A little retro-reflective tape on everything you value, including yourself, your brief, etc, no matter how good your preps are. Finding this stuff in the dark is paramount including you when time counts, especially when you are out of it. Any warning lights store or surveyors shop has it.<br><br><br><br>

#140 - 02/13/01 06:13 PM Re: Am I missing anything?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You might think about adding tire chains and a flashlight to the car kit. V-bar chains are reportedly the most effective chains for off-road. I have tire cables which are approved for use on surface streets. We don't get snow in my area, we only get ice. The cables allow me to drive up to 35 mph and provide traction when I hit ice patches. I only carry the chains in the vehicle during that week or so that we have winter weather in my area. <br><br>Also did not notice a flashlight in the vehicle. You do have one in your personal kit. I would recommend a 2 D or 2 C cell for the car while a AA might be fine for a personal kit.<br><br>

#141 - 02/14/01 02:15 PM Re: Am I missing anything?
Craig Offline

I always carry more than one flashlight on me at any time. If I keep one in the car, I tend to forget it's there and never check the batteries. I always carry a Princetontec 20 in my coat or jacket pocket.<br><br>As for tire chains, I've tried the so-called easy-to-use ones you can buy at PEP Boys. I bought the E-Z whatever. Supposed to be idiotically simple. Well, I guess I'm an idiot, because I couldn't do it. It was a frustrating experience to say the least.<br><br>I'd love to find a brand that works as easily as their marketing department says it does.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#142 - 02/14/01 03:29 PM Re: Am I missing anything?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I try to pull mine out and use it from time to time. By opening the kit, it reminds me of the contents. It also reminds me to replace the batteries or add something I had not included before.<br><br>I traded in the old vehicle and got a new one about 7 months ago. I am still trying to find places in the new vehicle to hide additional supplies. <br><br>

#143 - 02/14/01 07:05 PM Re: Am I missing anything?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In all of my vehicles there is a small auto-emergency kit. It is is a small zippered bag and is stashed in the spare tire well or under/behind the seat. It contains gear related specifically to car type emergencies, ie. flats, dead battery and such. It contians two cans of Fix-A-Flat, one Quick Start(plug into cigareete lighter to start car with dead battery) jumper cables, paper coveralls gloves, poncho, two garbage bags for kneeling on, flashlight, spare fuses, duct tape, zip ties, 2 screw drivers, 2 different pliers, 2 sizes cresent wrenches and a container of Fuel Extender. This kit is in addition to survival type gear. This sounds like alot of stuff, but it cost less than $100 and can be bought over time.<br><br>I left off the handi-wipes and toilet tissue my wife insisted on.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ShooterToo on 02/14/01 12:08 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#144 - 02/15/01 02:04 PM Re: Am I missing anything?
Craig Offline

You have some items that I don't have, but probably should. Thanks for the ideas.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.