Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#134728 - 06/04/08 05:07 PM Multitool Bit Driver question
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I love my Gerber multipliers...I own several pair. One of the things I've never liked are the poor options for bit drivers.

For a while I thought that the Leathermans were better because they didn't require an adaptor to load the bits in...but when I saw a bit up close and looked into how few options there were for bits, I thought twice.

Looking around now, it seems that all the multipliers use somewhat proprietary bit systems...and this is an issue.

Recently I've decided that I'd like to have some extra bits for my multipliers but only bits which I need plus a few universal sizes. Unfortunately the bits I need are very specific to the other gadgets I sometimes carry and this means small Torx (like T-1 or T2) and similar rare bits.

Do any of you know if there is a multipliers out there which have bits available with unusual sizes available or a pliers which takes standard bits like the ones used with drills?

I'd be willing to upgrade and even move away from my Gerbers if I could make this one work. It could also breathe new life into the bit kit I bought years ago with over 100 bits including all the tamper-proof styles...very handy but not so easy to carry.

#134731 - 06/04/08 05:14 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I should also note that the closest thing to perfect I've found so far is my Victorinox Cybertool 34. It has several Torx bits and holds them inside the knife but again the bits are proprietary and other sizes aren't available.

#134732 - 06/04/08 05:19 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Why is it that I can research something for days and find nothing but as soon as I post about it, I find what I'm looking for within seconds.

http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/accessories/leatherman-removable-bit-driver.html

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new Leatherman...not really a bad thing except when it comes to picking one!

#134734 - 06/04/08 05:26 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Leatherman makes their "Leatherman Universal Tool Adapter" (sorry, I couldn't get the link to copy/paste, but you can google it), it takes regular 1/4" hex shaped bits, so you should be able to get just the ones you want...

#134735 - 06/04/08 05:28 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That one only works with certain models of Leatherman, keep that in mind when you go shopping, and it uses the proprietary flattened hex bits only...

#134736 - 06/04/08 05:29 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The big universal one is totally out of the question...it's huge.
The one I posted about above is the right size but now that I research it a bit further I see that very few of the newer, full size pliers have the phillips driver and only have a bit driver specifically for the Leatherman bits.

#134739 - 06/04/08 05:34 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Why is it that I can research something for days and find nothing but as soon as I post about it, I find what I'm looking for within seconds.

I have that same issue!!!!

#134744 - 06/04/08 05:56 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Kris]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
If you can stand to have a separate tool, there are some oddball bicycling tools. The Topeak "Toolbar" is teeny, but takes regular size bits.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/ToolBar

Or Countycomm has the "Versadriver":

http://www.countycomm.com/versadriver.htm

Or, you might find something like this small, offset ratchet.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5311328?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

#134745 - 06/04/08 05:56 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: Kris]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I may have found a better (for me) option:

http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/757serie.htm

I didn't know that 4mm micro drive bits even existed. Technically these should fit perfectly in my Cybertool. I guess you really need to choose your words carefully when searching google. Once I stopped looking for multiplier bits, all sorts of things came up.

These particular ones only go down to T-3 Torx but if these are available, there will be others...the hunt begins!

#134750 - 06/04/08 06:15 PM Re: Multitool Bit Driver question [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I own a Leatherman Wave and I carry the tool adapter for it:

Leatherman Wave Tool Adapter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.