Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#134619 - 06/03/08 01:51 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Russ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yeah, bugging out from san diego i would either go northto my grandpa's of go east to my cousins(who have guns), or I could start swimming to hawaii smile

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#134650 - 06/03/08 05:38 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: climberslacker]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
I could start swimming to hawaii smile

I would use a boat of some sort.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (06/03/08 05:39 PM)

#134652 - 06/03/08 07:25 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

with a lot of gas! But if I had to go,I would probably go to Catalina, as it's beautiful, and very much a wilderness!

Have you seen the arrow?

#134655 - 06/03/08 08:05 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: climberslacker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
with a lot of gas! But if I had to go,I would probably go to Catalina, as it's beautiful, and very much a wilderness!

Lots of things could affect it, but a boat to Hawaii might not need a lot of gas if it has a big piece of cloth suspended from a tall upright thing. If memory serves me correctly, the conditions would allow, during much to the year, for one to sail downwind from California to Hawaii. This is not something I would attempt without lots of prior preparation. For some ideas, see: http://www.equipped.org/0698rescue.htm

I will readily admit that despite some years of sailing, a few working commercially, a number racing sailboats and some other experience, I would not want to take it on with inexperienced sailors. However, if I knew people who had a capable boat and the necessary skills, I might go long for a ride.

#134656 - 06/03/08 08:42 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Dan_McI]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
I would not want to take it on with inexperienced sailors.

It would at least be better than swimming to Hawaii. Not only would you be very limited as to what you could bring, you will be tired out rather quickly.

I would rather walk from California to Toledo Ohio (I wonder who would catch that M*A*S*H reference).

Jeanette Isabelle

#134657 - 06/03/08 08:47 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Dan_McI]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

The good thing about Catalina is that i am only about 20-30 miles away from it so if I had a plane with a little fuel or a plane with a lot of fuel that wasn't very trustworthy I would only have to get about high enough so that i can glide 10-15 miles, which is a hight that varies by model of plane, but not all that high.

Have you seen the arrow?

#134678 - 06/04/08 02:01 AM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Bugging from a big city, ya need to keep in mind that a lot of other folks will have the same idea. Roads get clogged up, you can't get into a gas station, and it will be out of fuel anyway 'cuz the tankers can't get to them. I just don't think that buggin' from a city is gonna work, unless you get a really big head start...

#134704 - 06/04/08 12:49 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Maybe I should just get my pilots license because even if the airport shuts down, theres no traffic in the sky (:; Maybe some on the tarmac, but thats all!!

Have you seen the arrow?

#134714 - 06/04/08 01:29 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
With fuel prices going up daily, I fill up just about every time I pass a station! But, given the departure location of course, one might not be able to make it very far from that big city anyway, crawling along for hours and hours in bumper to bumper traffic...

#134724 - 06/04/08 03:39 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: OldBaldGuy]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
We live on the outskirts of Chicago. Ordinary holiday traffic brings the local roads to a standstill, suggesting that a natural disaster evacuation will be breathtakingly slow. There is an intriguing alternative bug-out mode: paddling down the Des Plaines River. Every spring, on a Sunday afternoon, about a thousand canoes and kayaks participate in the 19 mile marathon and it generally goes well-better in high water than low, but it is flat water navigation, no rapids or falls. Occasional dams and strainers. And the river flows through Chicago and down to the Mississippi. Loading the canoe with camping gear and paddling beats loading me with camping gear and walking. Most of the river is surprisingly non-urban-the flood plain is a bad place to build, so it is mostly park land, with lots of deer, raccoons, possums, herons and ducks, and few people. Travel at night, lay up under camo taps during the day. 85% of the water in the river in the summer is actually Lake Michigan water that has made it through municipal water/sewage systems, so it might need a bit of work to make it potable. No gasoline required, not even much paddling because it is downhill all the way. Anybody else considering a canoe-kayak based bug out plan?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.