Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#134545 - 06/02/08 07:28 PM Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies
GoatMan Offline

So, we're all aware of the need to have copies of important documents in our GOODY bag (Get Out Of Dodge Y'all bag - better known as a BOB, Go Bag, or 72-Hour kit). How important is it to have paper copies of these things in a kit? Typically I've only encrypted them onto a USB type flash drive or microSD card. I'd be able to reference them, but only with access to a computer. Do you think this is sufficient?

I'm concerned about putting hard copies of these things into a kit (that I keep in my car) due to the chance of it being stolen and used in Identity Theft scenarios.

Opinions?

#134547 - 06/02/08 07:41 PM Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies [Re: GoatMan]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I am leery about doing physical copies for the same reason, but if someone steals you car, they are already going to have your full name, home address and other info off of your vehicle registration and insurance cards.

If you do decide to carry it in your BOB, it might be worthwhile to have a small, unobtrusive pocket sewn to the inside to hold stuff like that. A thorough search of your pack would find it, but there is a reasonable chance that a casual thief would just dump the contents on the floor and grab what he wants.

#134592 - 06/03/08 02:37 AM Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies [Re: GoatMan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
As I have stated here before, a couple of years ago I asked several people in a hospital if I walked in (or was carried in on a gurney) with a flash drive that I said contained all of my medical info, would they stick that thing into their computer to access my info, and they all said NO! Worrying about having a virus eat their computer. So I not a big fan of that system of saving important info. Answer to the problem...I don't have a clue...

#134635 - 06/03/08 04:14 PM Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies [Re: OldBaldGuy]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I think the answer is simply to keep a small piece of waterproof paper on yourself that lists
1. name, address, telephone
2. legal next of kin, address, telephone
3. medical insurance number, telephone
4. illnesses
5. allergies
6. etc.

#134643 - 06/03/08 04:58 PM Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies [Re: GoatMan]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
This situation is definitely an exercise in balance.

My preferred method is to just put an encrypted digital copy (CD-R, DVD±R, or flash memory) into the bug-out bag. This ensures that I have access to my documents if I have to bug out immediately (as in, no extra few minutes to grab the hard copies out of the file cabinet) as long as I can access a computer.

If I do have an extra few minutes, I will grab the hard copies and put them in the vehicle.

As far as the hospital situation that OldBaldGuy referred, I like MedicAlert’s approach. They give you a tag with an identification number on it instead of your name and info. Seems like a good system that prevents people from stealing your information by stealing the tag while also allowing the information to be updated as time goes by.

#134671 - 06/04/08 01:34 AM Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies [Re: jshannon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That's what we do...

#134733 - 06/04/08 05:25 PM Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
We keep a fire-proof safe next to the BoB with all our important documents, etc in it. If we need to run, it's right there next to the bag, and I can dump the heavy safe later when I have more time. Also, obviously, if there is a fire it's protected.

#134746 - 06/04/08 06:02 PM Re: Identity Theft: Digital vs. Hard Copies [Re: Still_Alive]
GoatMan Offline

I guess my existing methods are good enough.

I likewise keep all original copies of important documents in a firesafe. And since my BOB is mobile, I keep my digital soft copies on my person. I don't have drug allergies or daily medications to worry about so I'll skip the medical dog tags for now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.