The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#134417 - 06/01/08 07:05 PM Survivalism as an impediment to survival
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I was thinking: in a hypothetical TEOTWAKI scenario, could having a short-mid term BoB actually prevent one from adapting to the new environment? I mean sure, you have a slightly better chance to survive any immediate collapse, but won't you be like a spoiled baby when your high-end supplies run out?

Yeah, I know knives need no ammo. Look, it's more of a psychological question...

P.S. Note that I am talking here about normal people with a Bug Out plan, not organized militia... Those will do just fine.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#134418 - 06/01/08 07:12 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Rodion]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Wouldn't the right equipment ease you into the new environment if that were to happen?

Edit: I may have to rethink my response for reasons that, based on my understanding of the rules, don't belong in this forum.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (06/01/08 07:42 PM)

#134419 - 06/01/08 07:17 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Careful with the "TEOTWAWKI" reference. Read the Policies for the use and participation on The Forum.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=125282#Post125282

Edited by MoBOB (06/01/08 07:20 PM)

#134424 - 06/01/08 07:52 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: MoBOB]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

I have read the rules before posting and I do not see how my question violates their letter or spirit. As DR said himself, survivalists and independent security enthusiasts "co-pollinate". The OP is about the practical and psychological aspects of surviving long-term with no help from civilization. Isn't this what ETS is all about? wink

#134425 - 06/01/08 07:59 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Rodion]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
When you say "psychological," are you asking about the will to survive? I'm confused.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134426 - 06/01/08 08:05 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: MoBOB]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I think that the issue here is not TEOTWAWKI but the use of the term "survivalism."

As a point of clarification we do not refer to what we do as "survivalism" because certain categories of ill-informed individuals (think woolly here...) try to stygmatise us by lumping us in with the Rambo Brigade.

#134427 - 06/01/08 08:08 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Well, it's shorted than anything else I can come up with for you guys.

Quote:
When you say "psychological," are you asking about the will to survive? I'm confused.

Nooo. Let's say you and a group of others are stranded on a deserted island with only what you had on your person. You each live in seclusion for a month, then meet up. While sitting around the campfire (started with your keychain firesteel) you start showing off the skills you have learned.

Who is going to have more to show?

Edited by Rodion (06/01/08 08:10 PM)

#134428 - 06/01/08 08:19 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Rodion]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In your desert island scenario, you need to survive long enough to become acclimated to your new environment. Whether or not you learn to adapt will not be hindered by good EDC and may be enhanced because you have bought yourself a period of adjustment.

#134429 - 06/01/08 08:27 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Rodion]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Depends on your point of view once the situation begins. If you think I'll be here a couple of days every fire can use a match, maybe so. If you think, I don't know how long I'll be here, every match is precious, I don't think so. Even in a bad situation, life can get worse. So saving your supplies until you absolutely need them is always important. The best example is the question, do I destroy my knife so I can survive now? No, not if there is any other option available even if its harder and takes longer.

#134430 - 06/01/08 08:33 PM Re: Survivalism as an impediment to survival [Re: Russ]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Russ
In your desert island scenario, you need to survive long enough to become acclimated to your new environment. Whether or not you learn to adapt will not be hindered by good EDC and may be enhanced because you have bought yourself a period of adjustment.

Oh yes, certainly. It's going to be a textbook case of natural selection: The weak, slow and unlucky will die out, leaving behind the strong, fast and resourceful, as well as survivalads. Now, where as the latter will be perfectly content with camping, as their ample supplies allow, the former may well start building a house, herding local animals and merging into boyscout troops with the rest of the island brigade.

Basically, I am talking about the fact that lesser stimulation (in the form of lesser stress, "bought" by prior preparations) might result in a less active response from the survivor and, consequently, a lower level of general achievement than would be possible otherwise.

It doesn't even matter if you've read this and said "okay, now I'll try to rely less on my gear", because the adrenaline is simply not going to be there.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.