Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#131951 - 05/03/08 04:30 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: TS_Shawn]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Bert is the turtle's name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_and_Cover_(film)

#132030 - 05/05/08 03:14 AM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Onedzguy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
" I don't suppose that you and Blast can do a segment on Oprah's show?"

I would rather see Doug Ritter, Martin Focazio and Blast together on her show. Blast provides the situation, Doug and Marty provide the instruction on how to prepare for it.

Sue

#132045 - 05/05/08 02:16 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
blush blush blush

Still, at least one person is learning useful survival stuff from me. My four year old daughter caught the second fish of her life this weekend.

She caught it with her bare hands! shocked

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#132052 - 05/05/08 04:04 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Two fish in 4 years, sounds like you need to find a new fishin' hole; the one yer usin' is about wore out.

You might also think about gittin' yer kid her own pole. Handicapping her like that ain't gonna help her chances none. Besides, if'n she's noodlin' cats at her age, she's more like bait than a grappler, don't ya think?

#132063 - 05/05/08 05:30 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I told you that if you starved the children, they'd learn how to feed themselves. You might try giving her a little bit of equipment, though.

Seriously, My congratulations to your DD1!!!!! She's done good!!!!

#132069 - 05/05/08 07:06 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Susan]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Susan
There will always be a wide range in people's planning for emergencies, just like with everything else, from the people who think their government will take care of their every need to the people who think Burt Gummer was underprepared.

I don't have TV, and I don't know anyone who watches Oprah (okay, I'm deprived), but does anyone know if she has ever done a show on getting prepared? Surely she has more clout than Britney Spears or the others of that ilk. If there's one person who can influence American, she is probably the one.

Sue

I vote for Blast, Wildman and Doug to appear on the Britney Spears Preparedness Special with Guest Stars: Les Stroud and Lindsey Lohan. Same useful information. Better comedy. grin

Edited by BrianTexas (05/05/08 07:10 PM)
Edit Reason: Still can't spell

#132072 - 05/05/08 07:46 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Susan]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Susan
" I don't suppose that you and Blast can do a segment on Oprah's show?"

I would rather see Doug Ritter, Martin Focazio and Blast together on her show. Blast provides the situation, Doug and Marty provide the instruction on how to prepare for it.

Sue

I would change the wording a little. Yes to the first sentence. However, the second sentence should be changed at the end from "prepare" to "survive", "adapt", "deal with", or something similar. crazy

#132073 - 05/05/08 08:09 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: MoBOB]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
"prepare" to "survive", "adapt", "deal with", or something similar.

"Run screaming from" was the wording DW suggested, then after thinking about it more she decided Doug and Marty would be too smart to be in a room with me and a camera.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#134082 - 05/29/08 07:02 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: wildman800]
LED Offline
Veteran

I guess after the "rice scare" left the headlines survival prep quickly went back to boring. After all, why prepare until you know for sure the storm is coming your way? Makes sense to me. whistle

Quote:

(CNN) -- The Atlantic hurricane season starts Sunday, and government forecasters are predicting an above-normal season, with as many as five major hurricanes. The eastern Pacific's first tropical storm of the year formed Thursday off Central America.

Three years after Hurricane Katrina, a poll indicates many coastal dwellers don't take a hurricane threat seriously.

So are people living in hurricane-prone areas prepared?

According to a new poll, the answer is a resounding "no."

The survey, conducted by the polling firm Mason-Dixon, found that 50 percent of the 1,100 adults surveyed in Atlantic and Gulf Coast states did not have disaster plans or survival kits.

"Nearly one in three said they would not prepare their home until a storm is within 24 hours of landfall," Bill Read, director of the National Hurricane Center, told reporters Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/05/29/hurricane.prepare/index.html

#134089 - 05/29/08 07:36 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: LED]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think there are a lot of things that go into the idea that there is a new interest in "survival" and preparedness. But one of the things that should be considered is that we need to think about this stuff at all. Being able to do many of the things we not think of as preparedness or survival skills, we just things more people did and knew how to do in the past. I doubt you can find a single garden in the neighborhood in which DW and I bought a house. I doubt you can find anything else being raised for food within a mile of that house, except for maybe an occasional fish coming out of Long Island Sound. I also doubt you will find as many people now with have mason jars of preserved foods within twenty miles of there as you would have forty years ago, even though today there are a whole lot more people living there. And canned goods, I doubt you'll find as many in peoples homes too. A lot of this stuff is something that people with an interest in survival or preparedness are learning how to do, while a large percentage or prior generations just knew without a special interest.

There's other stuff that goes into it, like Katrina, shortages, etc., but a lack of the fundamental knowledge past generations had is also part of the equation.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.