Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#134100 - 05/29/08 08:53 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Dan_McI]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Over @ www.standeyo.com you will see a notice that because of the sudden demand for their books on preparation, they will be slower in posting news on their website.

I have no affiliation with the Deyo's but I do own a copy of: "Dare To Prepare". It's been very helpful concerning the DW.

#134155 - 05/30/08 12:52 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: wildman800]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I guess I would fall on the list as a more recent adopter of survival prep.

Mind you, growing up our family always kept an eye out for being prepared. We had a sizeable garden as we lived outside of the city with no food stores except in the city... The 72 flood that hit Wilkes-Barre really opened peoples' eyes. My mom always canned veggies every year.

Our basement had a large stock of canned food. The 2 freezers we had always contained approx. 1 side of beef. We had rifles/shotguns, fishing gear, propane stoves, coal stove, etc... On occasion, esp. in the bad snows, we were stuck in the house but didn't worry as we had plenty of stores in the house.

As I got older, I got more interested in aquiring camping gear... Well, for me, survival gear went hand in hand with that. I had purchased a case of MREs (when you were able to get the real ones). I had a tent, knife, survival blanket, fire tinder, etc... I always made sure that I had enough things with me both in a pack and on a canteen belt to make sure I could get home safe. I had paracord before I even realized how useful it was.

Currently, I make sure to keep a nicely stocked survival kit. I keep dehydrated food and MREs on hand (still mostly for camping but makes a great food store). I keep plenty of canned food available, cases of water, and propane in stock. I have a gas grill and camp stove, just in case.

My wife gives me funny looks sometimes as I add to my gear, but I think she appreciates knowing that I would be able to take care of her and my son if something happened. She is definitely a city girl and would not do well trying to survive on her own in the woods... This is something I will make sure that my newborn son does not mimic! He will be in the scouts and will benefit from my taking him out into the woods with me.

Do I obsess over my gear sometimes... Sure I do. Then again, what price can you place on safety? The life of your loved ones? As they say, stuff happens. Best to be prepared.

#134162 - 05/30/08 01:46 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Mike_H]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
My wife gives me funny looks sometimes as I add to my gear, but I think she appreciates knowing that I would be able to take care of her and my son if something happened.

Do I obsess over my gear sometimes... Sure I do. Then again, what price can you place on safety? The life of your loved ones? As they say, stuff happens. Best to be prepared.

You're not the only one who gets funny looks from your wife. Recently, I bought one of the recently discussed KaBar knives. I found it used and cheap, so I bought it. I would have preferred the smaller version, but I took the larger 7 inch blade because of the price. She seemed worried that I was buying more "weapons," but she doesn't even know about the kukri. She did seem happier after I told her it was in her BOB, into which she has never looked.

I also think obsessing over gear and plans is a common problem with people on this forum, not that I think it's really a problem. Of course, I'm the guy who has a bunch of heirloom seeds in a drawer although I live in a Manhattan apartment, which has no place to really grow anything.

#134163 - 05/30/08 01:46 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Mike_H]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
She is definitely a city girl and would not do well trying to survive on her own in the woods...

Admittedly, that sounds like me. I've trekked through the woods and I've been to the lake many times but I never had to live off the land.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134169 - 05/30/08 01:57 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Yeah, the Mrs. worries over all the "dangerous weapons" (knives, swords) I have. Worries that the little one will find them and hurt himself when he is older.

I take a deep breath, look at her in the eye, point the silverware drawer and say that there are many sharper knifes in that drawer that could hurt him. A screwdriver used improperly could hurt him... It is all about education about what is right/wrong and safe handling...

*sigh* I think many have lost the art of teaching write from wrong for their kids.

#134170 - 05/30/08 01:57 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Mike_H]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

As a side note, she does love the SAK I had bought her a while back... *shakes head* Some days she gets it, some days she doesn't...

#134178 - 05/30/08 02:43 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Mike_H]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Yeah, the Mrs. worries over all the "dangerous weapons" (knives, swords) I have. Worries that the little one will find them and hurt himself when he is older.

I agree with you there. A knife is not dangerous provided you know how to properly use one. I believe the most important survival tool is knowledge which is why it is so important to teach kids how to use tools properly.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134183 - 05/30/08 03:06 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I believe the most important survival tool is knowledge which is why it is so important to teach kids how to use tools properly.

I think Mike_H is right in that many today don't teach children enough lessons in morality, but that may be because many today do not believe as much that certain things are simply right or wrong. If I go any further I'm into a political discussion about moral relativism and the so-called cultural wars, so I'll stop.

JeanetteIsabelle is also right on. However, I think many do not teach their children how to do lots of things today. I've got a friend who is pretty capable as far as fixing and creating thigns. He was licensed as a shipboard engineer, worked as one and as a mechanical contractor, so has can do welding, plumbing and a number of other skills. but he continually refers to his own sons (4 of them) as "useless" when it comes to yard work, such as raking or cutting his lawn. I know that by the time I was the age of his two oldest, I was out cutting neighbors lawns for money, and I learned from my father. If his sons do not know, then isn't that probably because he did not teach them?

I think there is also something in there about a changing set of what we expect our children to be able to do. For example, my friend's father expected mroe from my friend, than my friend expects from his sons.

Edited by Dan_McI (05/30/08 03:07 PM)

#134190 - 05/30/08 05:19 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Dan_McI]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

It is a changing culture... So much has been lost, but I'm determined to teach my son proper morality, respect, chivalry, etc...

It all starts in the home... If the TV and computer is the babysitter, you're fighting a losing battle. Go out... teach them how to fish. How to start a proper fire with flint and steel. I love the Dangerous Book for Boys. I think it really hits the nail on the head for things we shouldn't forget.

I think that Blast is doing a great job with his girls. Catching a fish with their hands... Priceless!

#134194 - 05/30/08 05:51 PM Re: Is the new interest in survival.... [Re: Mike_H]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

It all starts in the home...

Absolutely.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.