Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#135086 - 06/07/08 01:45 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...http://www.crazycrow.com..."

Have you ever bought blades from them? I like the looks (and price) of a couple of their damascus blades...

#135114 - 06/08/08 12:25 AM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Thanks. Soon as I finish up the ones I already own I will give them a try...

#135257 - 06/09/08 01:07 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm without internet at home and not being able to research stuff over the weekend almost drove me bonkers.

I did happen to go into a local shop on the weekend and I think I found my next big chopper to compliment whichever Scandi blade I decide on.

They had just gotten a shipment of Cold Steel in and to my shock, the prices are almost exactly what the US retail price is...it's the first time I've seen knives in Canada priced appropriately since our dollars became equal to each other. I almost bought the Carbon version of the Recon Scout. It's the thickest blade I've ever seen on a knife, very sharp, felt light for it's massive size, and has a nice tactical style sheath that even the pricey San Mai III version of the same knife doesn't have. The craftsmanship was not spectacular but better than I expected from a blade made in China.

Anybody have experience with this bowie? I figure pairing it up with a good knife from Ragnar and I should be covered for all my bush needs...for now wink

#135267 - 06/09/08 01:51 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I have owned a Recon Scout for years. It is a little big for every day use, at least for me, but it does chop pretty well, and just has a nice shape to it. I didn't like the sheath that came with it, so I had one made out of kydex. It rides high, the guard just about even with the top of the GI pistol belt I used to carry it on. After years of use, the black "baked on" finish is looking pretty sad, but the blade still works...

#135276 - 06/09/08 03:40 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It seems like the toughest fixed blade knife you can get for the money. I was shocked at how thick it is. I was going to go with the cheap cold steel Kurkri but I'd like to have something that can be used as a backup knife as well as chop some wood and stand up to those tasks that one should never use a knife for (unless it was your life on the line)

Even cutleryscience.com gave it some pretty good marks.

I'd be wearing the sheath inverted from a mercharness or strapped to a pack (which is why I like the tactical style sheath over the cordura or leather of Cold Steel's other bowies)...I hate anything that long hanging off my belt.

I found an online retailer which has great prices on Cold Steel and they're in Canada. www.warriorswonders.com

I don't suppose anybody has dealt with them before?

#135433 - 06/10/08 05:52 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
sodak Offline
Addict

I've used a Recon Scout as one of my primary "choppers" for years, and love it. The Carbon V takes a good edge, and this is a tough knife. You can always thin the edge out a little if you like it to cut better, but mine cuts just fine. Good luck!

#135435 - 06/10/08 05:56 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: sodak]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Thanks for the tip sodak: I'm either going to get the Recon Scout or a traditional Leuku. The Recon is massive but I've heard the blade chips fairly easily on hard surfaces due to the extreme hardening...on the other hand the Leuku was designed for cutting firewood and splitting reindeer bones.

I sent an email to Ragnar yesterday (there's no phone number on his website which I can find). I'm eagerly awaiting his reply...the waiting is driving me bonkers.

I've almost completely sold myself on the Aito. It's fairly unique, functional, and pretty.

#135440 - 06/10/08 06:14 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Aito and Leuko would set you up for sure. The Aito has to be held to really appreciate its perfection. The birch bark version is fairly hard to get anymore. Ragweed and Kellam are the only places I know to get them. I consider the IJ Aito to be the best production knife I own.

I want to add a Leuko to my set but have not ever done it. A 7 or 8" Leuko would seem a much better choice to me than some massive Cold Steel tool (not calling it a knife....way to thick). If I want a thick cutting tool I use a proper ax.

Ragnar's service is exceptional. I think it will take a couple extra days for Canada but he really has provided nothing but amazing service on my orders.

#135458 - 06/10/08 08:01 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: Schwert]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's great to hear Schwert.

I went and held the Recon Scout again today...it's way too massive to be practical...especially since my needs are not tactical in any way.

I think I may end up either the Aito and a Leuku or the Aito and the Puukko & Leuku combo both.

I think I'm going to pick up some Helle blades as well and try my hand at making a handle or two.

#135460 - 06/10/08 08:21 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Ragnar has that Norwegian Strömeng 7" Leuko kit blade for about $20 that has my eye.

21810; 7" Sameblad, about 7 1/8" long, 1 7/16" wide, and .110" thick, $21
22010; 8" Sameblad, about 8" long, 1 5/8" wide, and .110" thick, $24

I see most of his Leuko selection in carbon is limited, but the Ahti looks like it might be a good one for a good price.

#9618; The "Leuku 180" has a blade 7" (182 mm) long, 1 1/16" wide and .129" thick. The handle is enhanced by a brass ferrule and pommel. Again the 5" handle is sized for a larger hand. This would be a serious tool for butchering, cutting brush, etc. The sheath hangs from the traditional twisted leather thong, and the knife and sheath together weigh about 6 3/4 ounces. $87.

Good luck with whatever you get though.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.