Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#134957 - 06/06/08 02:05 PM Conclusion [Re: sodak]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I recieved an email from Grohmann this morning...I have to admit they are so prompt it's almost creepy.

There was no debate this time...they admitted that this knife can't be fixed and had already refunded what I paid. I was hoping to talk to them about it but this conclusion, at this point, is to my satisfaction as I should only be out ~ $30 for shipping fees.

Now the question is should I re-invest that money into something else (a REAL scandinavian knife?) or leave well enough alone?

#134962 - 06/06/08 02:38 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

Glad you got a full refund, how about getting yourself a REAL scandinavian knife like the Helle Harding,

8 1/4" overall. 4" triple laminated steel drop point blade. Handle is curly birch and rosewood with stacked leather spacers. Brass stud on butt end of knife is used to secure it to leather belt sheath

Costs about $86 from http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_21320.html

Costs $65 from http://www.ragweedforge.com/helle/h-models.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/06/08 02:42 PM)

#134963 - 06/06/08 02:46 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...as I should only be out ~ $30 for shipping fees..."

What? They are sticking you with the shipping fees for a product that THEY screwed up? Amazing, simply amazing...

#134966 - 06/06/08 03:10 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...as I should only be out ~ $30 for shipping fees..."

What? They are sticking you with the shipping fees for a product that THEY screwed up? Amazing, simply amazing...

They didn't specify but I'm expecting them to keep it...they don't even cover shipping on warranty work (you have to send money for return post) so this would be normal for them. I'll find out for sure when I get my Visa statement. Half of that was my out of pocket expense for shipping it back to them...that's gone either way.

I REALLY like Helle knives. They are some of the prettiest scandi knives out there...on the pricey side as that style goes but still reasonable compared to the mainstream.

I may contact Ragnar and get some things shipped up. I may even order some bare blades and experiment with making my own handles...at least then I can get something unique but on my terms without the risk.

#134967 - 06/06/08 03:15 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Go for a real scandi is my advice. Ragnar has a ton to choose from....my choice would be the birch bark handled Iisakki Järvenpää Aito.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/FinnishKnifeCatalog.html

This is a knife that satisfies, it is semi hard to get but has a perfect sized blade and warm and comfortable handle and only requires a bit of edge work to get is just the way you will want it.

If you wanted a grand custom I would order one of Rod Garcia's Skookum Bush Tools.

I have an article about this one here:

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=341

#134969 - 06/06/08 03:23 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: Schwert]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've been eyeing The Skoolum for a while too. The Aito is a knife Ragnar speaks VERY highly of and he's as much an expert as I know of.

I've also been eyeing the Puukko and Leuku Combination from Järvenpää. Ben's Back Woods has the Carbon Steel versions a bit cheaper than Ragweed Forge (and in stock).

#134974 - 06/06/08 04:10 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Ben is a good guy too. I think just about any decent scandi from those guys would be a good knife. It is really too bad about the Grohmann but the outcome was not as bad as it could have been.

Rod's Skookum would take a few months to get but it is my hands down favorite knife right now. (I have three versions). The IJ Aito is a very close second. It is not a perfect scandi grind....just a very shallow hollow with a secondary bevel. I have worked mine to nearly flat (you can see the small spot of remaining hollow near the bolster). The tip has a bit of work left to get it perfectly flat and symmetrical too, but it carves like no tomorrow and feels like warm velvet. I polished the brass butt to a rounded smooth termination too for greater comfort in the palm.

For the money it is a very nice scandi.

I have friends with the Puukko/Leuko combo and it makes for an excellent set too. I have a Leuko on my "need" list.

I don't think either Ragnar or Ben will steer you wrong.

#134977 - 06/06/08 04:23 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
You like (too soft a word) edged weapons, you are interested in custom tailoring your blade to your needs, and you are good with your hands. How about a knife kit:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_104_537_546_556

The dixie catalog is an inch thick and a riotously funny piece of literature, its inexpensive and you have complete control over the customization.

#134986 - 06/06/08 05:00 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: nursemike]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Nursemike,

I should have known better than to follow your link to Dixie Gun Works. Now I have to explain this to DW.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#134997 - 06/06/08 05:36 PM Re: Conclusion [Re: Blast]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Hacksaw,

That is just wrong on their behalf. Maybe be out of pocket for you shipping it back, but not having it shipped to you... They obviously made a mistake and you shouldn't have to pay for it... Any blade that you can bend with your fingernail just isn't right...

Mike

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.