Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133810 - 05/27/08 02:27 PM BOB clothes
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
How much of each clothing item do you pack in your BOB (if you do) assuming that it is a 72 hour+ kit?

#133812 - 05/27/08 02:50 PM Re: BOB clothes [Re: Ors]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think this is going to be a question for which you find a lot of differnet answers, depending on how each of us feels about what might drive us from our homes and for how much time we could be away from them.

My BOB has a three changes of socks and underwear. I have to hope washing is a possiblity beyond that time. The underwear is all synthetic, so it dries fast, if washing quickly is a possibility.

Otherwise, the clothing in my BOB is pretty much only one set, so I will have the stuff in my BOB and what I am wearing when i grab it and go. If I bug-in, then I have mmuch more. The clothes are is geared mostly toward winter. Long underwear, which can double as something to wear as other things dry. A pair of gortex rain pants, because I can wear them through almost anything. Outerwear to be worn in layers that should keep me warm enough below freezing, but on or two layers that I would wear at night in temps up into the 60s.

Edited by Dan_McI (05/27/08 03:09 PM)

#133815 - 05/27/08 03:03 PM Re: BOB clothes [Re: Dan_McI]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Be guided by the 72-hour purpose of the BOB. Follow Dan_McL's suggestions for synthetics and layering.

#133816 - 05/27/08 03:31 PM Re: BOB clothes [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I tend to try and get the most bang for the volume. Typically I try to pack one full change of clothes with maybe 2 pair of socks. With the exception of one pair of wool socks, everything is thin, light, and packs small. Ultralight Merino Wool long underwear (I'll usually wear this but if i don't, I always pack it), polypro shirt and socks, Nylon windbreaker pants, etc. I also try to pick the sizing such that I could wear these clothes in addition to what I wear out the door and layer it all together if I had to. I buy with this in mind and have a selection of snug, proper fitting, and oversized shirts to choose from.

Ever since I started watching Ray Mears' TV shows his philosophy of 2 sets of clothing only make a ton of sense. He lets whatever happens happen to the set he wears during the day and sleeps in another set which is pretty much exactly the same as what he wears during the day. Then he gets good rest and can dry clothing at night plus has a change if it's a bad idea to wear wet clothing (depending on the conditions of course).

If you put your clothing into a stuff sack, compression bag, etc. Make sure it's big enough to hold the every day clothing you might be wearing when you bug out. Jeans are bulky for example. This is where I love waterproof compression bags. Keeps your other clothes dry and can compress even the most uncooperative items into a manageable size for packing.

#133822 - 05/27/08 05:01 PM Re: BOB clothes [Re: ]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

1 set of outer clothing, 2 sets of underwear/socks. I hope that if I ever need to bug out, I'll be wearing something so that would make 2 sets of outer cloth and 3 sets of underwear/socks in all.

#133839 - 05/27/08 07:57 PM Re: BOB clothes [Re: horizonseeker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Usually just a knit cap, wool glove liners, 1pr wool socks, 1 change of underwear. Come winter I throw in a fleece jacket too.

Otherwise, I plan on grabbing stuff on the way out. I have to get my BOB from the basement, and from the stairs to the front door I have to pass my hall closet. A quick stop to grab my down jacket, hat and gloves and I'll be out the door in another 20 seconds.

Mainly though, my bag is so stuffed with other stuff I can't fit clothes in frown

#133843 - 05/27/08 08:35 PM Re: BOB clothes [Re: Ors]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I put everything in ZipLock Bags: 1pr pants, 1 LS shirt, 2 T-shirts, 4pr-underwear, 4 pr-socks; then squeeze the air out of the bags.

This will keep me moving for 4 days before I take a break to do laundry, forage for supplies, and rest up.

That's my plan and that's how I train!

#133851 - 05/27/08 09:42 PM Re: BOB clothes [Re: Ors]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I live in NW FL so heat & humidly are the issue about 8 months per year. In the Winter a cold snap means lows in the 20's overnight and maybe the 40's in the daytime.

My BOB contains light hiking boots, 2 pair Smartwool socks, 1 pair light nylon pants with zip-off legs, 1 light nylon long sleeve shirt, 1 wicking tee shirt, 2 pair wicking boxer shorts, tubular nylon belt, a boonie style hat and ultralight rain shirt and pants.

In the Winter, I add a watch cap, lightweight polypro long johns and a fleece jacket.

In my car is a complete nomex firefighter uniform and a NDMS-DMAT uniform, with jumpboots and towel/washcloth and shower supplies, plus swimshorts and beachwear.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (05/28/08 05:58 AM)

#133861 - 05/28/08 12:07 AM Re: BOB clothes [Re: Ors]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I just switched from winter to summer clothes in my GHB. 1 pair of khakis, 1 set of underwear, 1 long sleeved t-shirt, 2 pairs of socks and a sweat shirt. I also keep 1 pair each of cotton & leather gloves in it all year long.

#133876 - 05/28/08 02:53 AM Re: BOB clothes [Re: Jeff_M]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

In my car is a complete nomex fifefighter uniform and a NDMS-DMAT uniform, with jumpboots and towel/washcloth and shower suuplies, plus swimshorts and beachwear.

Jeff

I REALLY hope you're talking the "brush suit" sort of nomex, not the structural gear. Otherwise, you're going to overheat like crazy!

Though come to think of it, I have a structural-type jacket I used to keep in my car, along with nomex gloves. Was an EMT-jacket, but fire-retardant. Not as warm on a cold night as one would think, but definetely hot on a hot day (in CA, no less, with it's dry heat)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.