Topic Options
#133871 - 05/28/08 01:32 AM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: Kris]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
[quote=Kris
This is the one I was referring to:
http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/kb4070.html

Its not the 'lower' cost one, but a nice large-ish lock blade that doesn't take up too much room. Blade is beefy and you can baton with it with no worries to the blade.

It sits in my large psk and is my backup knife ("3 is 2, which is only 1" theory). [/quote]

the only difference between the knives is the size. Your blade is about 3/4 inch longer. The blade steel, handle composition and lockback mechanism are the same. Excellent knives.

Where are you in the Caribbean? I used to live in Jamaica and then then Grand Cayman.

#133873 - 05/28/08 01:50 AM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: ]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Hacksaw,

Ka-Bar's are great knives, however this model is more difficult to sharpen (due to the recurve shape and low level knife skills of a first time buyer) unless you use one of the "V" type pull through sharpeners.

If you get him the Mora tell him the money he saved could be better spent buying, Mors Kochanski's book "Bushcraft" and reading the chapter on knife use (or the entire book). I think the book and knife retail in the U.S.A. for around $15.00 and $9.00 respectivly. And if he does not like the book he has expensive toilet paper or tinder.

If he needs to chop through wood a folding pruning saw would work better with minimal ax experience.

Just a few thoughts on new people going into the field for the first time, and possibly being left by themselves.

Best wishes for your friend finding what works for him!
-Joe

#133875 - 05/28/08 02:18 AM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: Joseph13]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Bushcraft is one of my favorite books. I had a copy when I was a kid and lost it. Last month I bought it again after over a decade. Getting hard to find around here despite the fact that Mors is from Alberta not far from here.

The more I think about this particular Ka Bar I've come to the conclusion that it's just too big for what he needs though it would make a good second knife as a backup and/or chopper.

#133879 - 05/28/08 04:15 AM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: ]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

O.K. I just remembered you are in Canada. So in the interest of maintaining CD-USA relations I now suggest a Grohmann Russell. Yes, it too has a lousy leather sheath prone to self amputation and some people dislike the steel. The elliptical shape is not optimal for feathering kindling and it takes more effort at batoning. But, you can find a fellow canadian in our resources who makes splendid kydex sheaths and the knife can be had in either hollow or flat grind. The friendly people in Pictou ( who never answered my emails) even offer cosmetic seconds at discount.So there you go, why buy Cher Bono-Altman when you can have Celine Dion! Breaks into a spirited rendition of Snowbird.

#133881 - 05/28/08 05:24 AM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It's funny you should mention that...I just got a special late night delivery...post to come as soon as I can type it.

#133887 - 05/28/08 11:27 AM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: tomfaranda]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda

Where are you in the Caribbean? I used to live in Jamaica and then then Grand Cayman.

I'm currently living in Grand Cayman, been here for 4+ years now.
I'll PM you and continue this off line.

Kris

#133919 - 05/28/08 04:03 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

I guess I wasn't specific enough as many of you do seem to be referring to the stereotypical Ka Bar fighting knives. I'm specifically asking about the Ka-Bar 'Camp Knife'. Similar to the fighting knives in size and (synthetic)handle but with a Kuhkri-ish 8" recurve blade. I wanted to hyperlink it but the proxy here at work is scared of websites which feature 'weapons'.

In reviewing the thread I don't see much info about what the guy's "needs" really are. Whether the particular knife will serve as a survival knife is a question of degree. Those who have used and practiced survival using a knife have experience enough to know if this will do the job. Those who carry such a thing just in case won't have experience with which to decide.

If the guy "needs" to have a large fixed blade knife in the same way that I "needed" my very first large fixed blade knife when I was 11* then this one will serve just fine :-)

If he doesn't use it but goes camping or backpacking he may eventually decide it's too big. If he does use it he'll probably find some room for improvement and, like many of us, become a collector :-) All knives are defective in one of two ways. They are either too big or too small. That's why you need just one more to fit that niche where you just don't have anything that is just right.

*back when children weren't all psychotic axe murderers in the making and therefore needed to be denied knife ownership for the greater good of society.

#133926 - 05/28/08 04:30 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: unimogbert]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
unimogbert,

Good point... I remember my dad giving me a pocket knife when I was young. These days it seems that child welfare will cart you away for endangering a child.

Sad that certain things are going away. There are times I feel concerned that I will be violating some business policy carrying a SAK.

Mike

#133927 - 05/28/08 04:44 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: unimogbert]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: unimogbert

All knives are defective in one of two ways. They are either too big or too small. That's why you need just one more to fit that niche where you just don't have anything that is just right.

Good point. I usually carry 2 plus a multitool for that exact reason and just vary the style and size to my needs be it camping or SAR work or every day carry. Though in my experience it's way easier to be too big than too small.

#133942 - 05/28/08 07:16 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

When I hike I make sure I have easy access to my knife. Cougar attacks are rare but they happen. Like any cat attack, the prey is the last to know.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.