Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133842 - 05/27/08 08:27 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: Rodion]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
What about showing him something written about Mora's and just how darn tootin' good they are in genral and for the money. So he's impressionable, but that does not mean some more information might not change his mind.

For example:

http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/knives_for_a_buck.html

http://thegearjunkie.com/mora-knives

#133845 - 05/27/08 08:52 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: Dan_McI]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I'm a little confused about what knife is being recommended. Ka Bar is a brand with a wide variety of products so "a Kabar" could refer to the fighting knife or to lots of other knives.

If the guy is set on the Kabar Camp Knife or the combat knife I suspect he'll be making his first acquisition as a knife collector since that knife will reveal some limitations at some point.

Nothing wrong with having a collection though :-)

At least he's not starting with the Crocodile Dundee version of a knife..... (or a Bowie Knife,er, short sword)

I'm partial to the Spec Plus Pilot Survival knife and similar size when dayhiking and backpacking. Synthetic sheath (not kydex though), rubber handle, lanyard hole, modest price.

#133846 - 05/27/08 08:56 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: unimogbert]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I am a Field Pup person, myself.

Partially because local stores don't deal with Ka Bar. frown

Edited by Rodion (05/27/08 08:58 PM)

www.kravmagafederation.com

#133848 - 05/27/08 09:27 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: Rodion]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The sog field pup is a really fine low cost knife. Just don't buy it with the mock leather sheath, which is crap.

Someone mentioned the kabar dozier folder. I think there are two different lines of kabar doziers. The lower cost folders can be gotten for under $20, including shipping, on ebay. They are good, lightweight (2oz), lockback knives. you can spend a lot more money for less knife. It's what I use when camping/hiking in the northeast.

#133849 - 05/27/08 09:31 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: unimogbert]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
I'm a little confused about what knife is being recommended. Ka Bar is a brand with a wide variety of products so "a Kabar" could refer to the fighting knife or to lots of other knives.

If the guy is set on the Kabar Camp Knife or the combat knife I suspect he'll be making his first acquisition as a knife collector since that knife will reveal some limitations at some point.

Nothing wrong with having a collection though :-)

At least he's not starting with the Crocodile Dundee version of a knife..... (or a Bowie Knife,er, short sword)

I'm partial to the Spec Plus Pilot Survival knife and similar size when dayhiking and backpacking. Synthetic sheath (not kydex though), rubber handle, lanyard hole, modest price.

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
...I noticed the Camp Knife while doing some research for him.

I guess I wasn't specific enough as many of you do seem to be referring to the stereotypical Ka Bar fighting knives. I'm specifically asking about the Ka-Bar 'Camp Knife'. Similar to the fighting knives in size and (synthetic)handle but with a Kuhkri-ish 8" recurve blade. I wanted to hyperlink it but the proxy here at work is scared of websites which feature 'weapons'.

#133850 - 05/27/08 09:34 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: Taurus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have never seen or handled one of these, and I am not a real fan of Ka Bars for personal reasons, but if he is dead set on a Ka Bar, how 'bout the Next Generation Ka Bar? Kraton handle, no upper guard, "plastic" sheath...

#133855 - 05/27/08 10:42 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I can finally link it:

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1244&mode=search&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Product%20Search%20Results

Dan: I'm tempted to just buy him a Mora. If he doesn't use it I'm out $9 and can say I tried my best. Good call on the site though I'm not sure he's interested in research when he knows I'll gladly do it for him wink

#133856 - 05/27/08 11:05 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: tomfaranda]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
Someone mentioned the kabar dozier folder. I think there are two different lines of kabar doziers. The lower cost folders can be gotten for under $20, including shipping, on ebay. They are good, lightweight (2oz), lockback knives. you can spend a lot more money for less knife. It's what I use when camping/hiking in the northeast.

This is the one I was referring to:
http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/kb4070.html

Its not the 'lower' cost one, but a nice large-ish lock blade that doesn't take up too much room. Blade is beefy and you can baton with it with no worries to the blade.

It sits in my large psk and is my backup knife ("3 is 2, which is only 1" theory).

#133859 - 05/27/08 11:15 PM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, I"m a long time fan of the Mk II, preferably from Ka-Bar. But having handled one of these... I think the camp knife is trying to be more knife than it can be. I can think of plenty of uses for it, don't get me wrong, but it is a little small to be a chopper.

And I like the gaurds to keep sap, blood and liquid crud off the grip. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#133866 - 05/28/08 12:32 AM Re: Anybody Tried the Ka Bar Camp Knife? [Re: ironraven]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I looked at that KaBar site, and looked at the specs for the Camp knife (1244) and the short black fighter (1256 or 1258), and the same metal, same handle, same same, except, blade shape, weight and grind. The fighters have a flat grind, the Camp has a hollow. Blade shape is something you know about from looking at them. The short fighter has a 5 and 1/4 inch blade. The camp has a 8 inch blade. In between these is the longer regular fighter. It does not say what the sheath for the camp knife is made from.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.