Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133771 - 05/27/08 02:44 AM Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
What's the differance between the israeli bandage and the bloodstopper bandage?.

Thanks
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#133773 - 05/27/08 04:12 AM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: leemann]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

IIRC, the israeli bandage has a pressure thingy, and im not sure if it can be used as a sling...its also much more expensive!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133774 - 05/27/08 04:15 AM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: leemann]
Regulator6 Offline
Stranger

Hey leemann, I hope I can help you out with your question. I just got back from Iraq two weeks ago, and I promised myself that I would do a whole lot of things once I got back. One of those things was take a more active role in this forum. I’ve learned so much form everyone here and have never contributed anything back. I would like to start.

Well, I’d have to see exactly what you are comparing the Israeli bandage to when you say “blood stopper” but I think I know what you are talking about. We had a bandage we called a HEMCON bandage that would seal up a wound tight and aid in clotting. The Israeli bandage is also supposed to do the same, in a way. The main difference is that with the Israeli bandage you get the ability to apply some real pressure to a wound with the ends of the bandage. What I mean is that it is an actual bandage where the HEMCON is more like a giant band aid. It’s self adhesive, but it doesn’t have an “attached cravat” like the Israeli bandage does to apply that extra pressure needed. This is not to say one is better than the other, you just have to understand their uses and limitations. The HEMCON was always used in conjunction with a pressure dressing, not to aid in clotting, but for the pressure you get with bandage. In my experience, the HEMCON with a pressure dressing was more effective than the Israeli bandage, but you are going to have to carry two items and take more time to open them up and apply them, where as with the Israeli bandage you just rip it open and apply. Bam, done. Also, lets not forget that the Israeli bandage can also be used as a tourniquet, and is much better at applying pressure to the wound than any old pressure dressing alone will ever be, even with a HEMCON under it. I know I just said that I thought the HEMCON with a pressure dressing was more effective, but I think that at the end of the day, you are going to be better off with the Israeli bandage. It’s just more useful in my opinion. I suppose the best use is a combination of the two. The Israeli bandage, for immediate control of the hemorrhage and evacuation of the casualty. Then, if you are still going to be in the fight for a while, you switch to the HEMCON and pressure dressing combination for that good seal of the wound that the HEMCON brings to the party.

If by blood stopper you were referring to Quick Clot, then things just got a lot more complicated  I would recommend HEMCON over Quick Clot any day. For one, a medic can remove a HEMCON in the field with just saline. I’ll refrain from this angle unless Quick Clot is what you were referring to. I could go on with a whole other paragraph on this.

Here I am getting all military and that’s probably not even what you were asking about. I used these things in Iraq, and they are all very good. It just depends on what you want to do with them, and what you think you are going to need. I’m sure there is going to be some Paramedic that is going to come on here and destroy me, but I hoped I helped answer your question.

#133776 - 05/27/08 04:33 AM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: Regulator6]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Well, not exactly a paramedic, but maybe a 13 year old (:

No I won't destroy you! Lets see

Survived Iraq vs: 13 yo hmmmmm

What he is refering to as the blood stopper can be seen here

and the israeli trauma dressing here

Thanks for the interesting info about the HEMCON bandage though, I have never heard of it! Thanks!

If your like me and have no idea what a HEMCON bandage is, it can be found here!

Edited by climberslacker (05/27/08 04:35 AM)
Edit Reason: Add link

Have you seen the arrow?

#133777 - 05/27/08 04:35 AM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: Regulator6]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome home NewGuy!!!

#133779 - 05/27/08 04:44 AM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: OldBaldGuy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yes, Thanks for the service to our country! A Be-Lated welcome to the fire newguy! (Hehe 300th post!! (: )

Edited by climberslacker (05/27/08 04:45 AM)

Have you seen the arrow?

#133783 - 05/27/08 05:58 AM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: climberslacker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Regulator6, thank you for your service.

#133785 - 05/27/08 08:12 AM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: dweste]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Regulator6
Welcome Home! And Thank You
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#133796 - 05/27/08 12:13 PM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: KG2V]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
A bloodstopper-dressing is essentially the same thing as the Israeli Dressing (ETD).

The only difference is that the ETD has a pressure-bar which, you guessed it, applies pressure to the wound:

A bloodstopper dressing does the same thing, but it uses a gauze roll for applying pressure:

That is the greatest difference. The ETD also has a closure-bar and uses an ACE bandage instead of a normal gauze roll as with the bloodstopper-dressing.

IMHO: you're better of using a roll of kerlix and a ACE bandage, but if you really want to, I would prefer the Israeli-bandage.

#133797 - 05/27/08 12:51 PM Re: Bloodstopper vs Israeli bandage [Re: JIM]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't know how to interpret that last statement, but it seems to me that they'll both work, use what you have at hand.

The Israeli bandage is a specific item that I won't likely have. Using rolls of gauze to add pressure to serious bleeding I will have. It only needs to work until the EMT's arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.