The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#133310 - 05/20/08 01:30 AM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Web sites are generally designed by computer geeks that strive to have the latest version of any and all software out there. But most of us (like all) don’t care about what software you are using, and sure as heck don’t need mommy telling us to upgrade our computer. We go there just to look at the stove to see if it’s something we might want. Not to be lectured about computer programs. It’s actually a big turn off when this happens, as I don’t look at the site, I close the window.

If you are selling something, don’t tell the customer his computer is junk or out of date. It really harms your sales.

I have my own carpet cleaning business, I don’t walk into a customers home and tell them their carpet is old. This is a sure way to not work and not make any money.

I just clean it and collect the check, smiling all the time.

If you want to sell stoves, get your web site to work with any computer so you can make a sale.

Don’t tell me what to do for my own good.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#133313 - 05/20/08 03:06 AM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: BobS]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
My thread hijack alarm is going off, but carpets and browsers are apples and oranges, one of them is free and you can install a current version in about 5 minutes, then uninstall and install another one. The warning against IE6 (or earlier IE 5.x) is a simple fact, that an ancient browser was detected and is presumed unsafe, and that Microsoft's update policy is to push a more modern IE7 to their legacy users. Those same folks can go out and download Mozilla, which will do an arguably more efficient jobs keeping the browser current and secure (at the expense of allowing users to keep their older browsers if that's what they want). Unless I'm mistaken, IE6 lacks any antiphishing features, let alone ongoing support for security vulnerabilities. Hate to break it to anyone, but the same goes for you old farts (like my Dad) still running Windows 98 and other OSes beyond support...

I think you'll see more of these warnings from other well-intentioned sites, like banks and financials, who are tired of their clients being compromised by botnets because their browsers don't support modern day security features. Apparently they're necessary, because anyone browsing with IE6 should be singing their death song.

#133326 - 05/20/08 11:29 AM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: leemann]
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
So is this the best alcohol-stove-from-a-can out there?

How long do one of these last? Doesn't the heat damage it after a while?

Will it last longer than the Pepsi can stove?

Nas.

#133329 - 05/20/08 12:33 PM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: Naseem]
gizmojumpjet Offline
Opposed to Bears

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Originally Posted By: Naseem

How long do one of these last? Doesn't the heat damage it after a while?

Will it last longer than the Pepsi can stove?

Nas.

One of the reviewers here states they've been using it for two years, so I don't imagine the heat will deteriorate it appreciably. Other than a few comments about it taking a while to prime, I really haven't seen anything negative written about these stoves. They're made from heavier aluminum than a standard pop can, so I imagine they would be more durable than one made from thinner material. And they're so elegant looking!

#133364 - 05/20/08 09:13 PM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: Naseem]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Naseem

I have a couple of these and would easily rate it either first or second. As far as strength and durability go, the increased wall thickness of the aluminum bottle used on the white box stove easily puts it at the top of the list.

I also really like the fact that the white box stove is designed to be strong enough to be used without a separate pot stand, and Bill is perhaps one of the most stand-up guys you'll ever find on ebay.

The only other alcohol stove out their that even comes close to Bill's IMO is the Anti Gravity Gear Caldera Cone 10-12 alcohol stove. The design of this stove (12 air inlets in the OD and 10 air outlets in the ID, with a center flame) contribute to making it the most efficient stove I've ever used. For a given amount of fuel, the 10-12 stove will easily run almost twice as long as anything else I've used.

To be fair, I haven't run a side-by-side water boiling test (so even though it runs twice as long, it may actuially take twice as long to reach a boil as far as I know) but my impression is the 10-12 will do more cooking on less fuel. I also really like the center flame design, allowing me to use a smaller container without risk of the flame overshooting the cup.

Jim

#133429 - 05/21/08 04:47 PM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: billinmt]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Bill,

I tried to buy one and got this message:

We are unable to complete your request at this time. Please click Retry or try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Message 3004

I'll keep trying, but wanted to let you know.

#133470 - 05/21/08 11:25 PM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: Still_Alive]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Probably this little thing called supply and demand. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#133534 - 05/22/08 05:06 PM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: Lono]
JRR Offline

Anytime someone tells me something is "for my own good," I put my hand over my wallet.

Originally Posted By: Lono
My thread hijack alarm is going off, but carpets and browsers are apples and oranges, one of them is free and you can install a current version in about 5 minutes, then uninstall and install another one. The warning against IE6 (or earlier IE 5.x) is a simple fact, that an ancient browser was detected and is presumed unsafe, and that Microsoft's update policy is to push a more modern IE7 to their legacy users. Those same folks can go out and download Mozilla, which will do an arguably more efficient jobs keeping the browser current and secure (at the expense of allowing users to keep their older browsers if that's what they want). Unless I'm mistaken, IE6 lacks any antiphishing features, let alone ongoing support for security vulnerabilities. Hate to break it to anyone, but the same goes for you old farts (like my Dad) still running Windows 98 and other OSes beyond support...

I think you'll see more of these warnings from other well-intentioned sites, like banks and financials, who are tired of their clients being compromised by botnets because their browsers don't support modern day security features. Apparently they're necessary, because anyone browsing with IE6 should be singing their death song.

#133656 - 05/24/08 10:06 PM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: JRR]
billinmt Offline
Stranger

Sorry if some of your guys are having trouble with the web site. I'll try to fix it. Sometimes old computer programs are better fixed by upgrading to a newer version.

Bill in MT

#133677 - 05/25/08 03:17 AM Re: WHITE BOX STOVES [Re: billinmt]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I had no problems with it. But at the same time I don’t go to web sites about camping to be told I should get new software. I just want to look at the item.

Edited by BobS (05/25/08 03:20 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.