Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#133453 - 05/21/08 07:21 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: haertig]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
I worked as a lifeguard and was the lifeguard who got to treat the most injuries.
Last summer both my son and daughter were lifeguards. On pool opening day they were both on duty at the same pool. Hordes of little kids came running in and managed to find the broken glass that some morons had managed to hide in the grass. So when the bloody foot patrol came running up, my kids went and got the pools official first aid kit. It contained two bandaids and a roll of gauze. Wonderful. My kids temporarily closed the pool while one of them ran next door to the store and bought supplies. After that us parents went and bought each kid a nicely stocked kit and they took these with them for all subsequent lifeguard shifts. We reported the ridiculousness of the existing first aid kits to the pool management, who did some restocking after that.

I'm not really surprised at all. The City, my long-ago employer, gave us little more than gauze. I took the ammonia I used from the maintenance stores.

#133456 - 05/21/08 07:44 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Dan_McI]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Oh, I was talking ocean lifeguard, but I guess for a lot of you there is no ocean

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133460 - 05/21/08 08:23 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
Oh, I was talking ocean lifeguard, but I guess for a lot of you there is no ocean

Where I worked there was no ocean, only pools and Long Island Sound. However, I will never be able to get too much ocean. Been on all of them, except the Arctic. My agenda for July includes teaching my 4-year old niece how to body surf. I learned at that age.

Edited by Dan_McI (05/21/08 08:24 PM)

#133462 - 05/21/08 08:38 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Dan_McI]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Hey all! in a few days, once I get everything together, I will post pix! Yay!

Have you seen the arrow?

#133463 - 05/21/08 08:39 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Maybe someday, if "the big one" hits California. I think someone even wrote a song about that (Rusty Weir? - a country western singer from the 70's). "On the coast of Colorado, when California's gone."

#133469 - 05/21/08 11:13 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
yeah! of course im gonna try to keep it to a reasonable size, it will all hopefully fit in this bag !!!

Holy crap kid, yeah, you should fit everything in there. Please tell me this is a "base camp" type of FAK, not a "hey, let's go up to Mammoth for a week long Hi Adventure trek" kit? Otherwise, you're going to be using half the stuff on yourself. Not to mention, this bag will NOT be easy to carry if you've got on a backpack as well.

And if it IS a backcountry kit, may I strongly suggest a modular approach, where each Scout gets a packet of stuff from the kit? This is based on carrying lots of bags as an EMT, and about 8 years in Scouting myself.

#133473 - 05/22/08 12:58 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Yes, I did plan on making an excel document with all of the contents, the quantity, how much used and for what reason, and a pen/pencil
I will definatly get poison oak/ivy/sumac stuff.
The "forceps" I get are actually tweezers that are made for splinter removal.
I will get a SAM splint and a real CPR mask, I just wanted to put everything in on one order, and the sam splints and the cpr masks were quite expensive, so will look for them in real life (as opposed to online)
Instead of electrolyte tablets I was planning on putting in some powdered Gatorade, or if I can find them not in bulk, electrolyte tablets. Would Gatorade work?
I will probably add some pj, and some Hydrocortisone cream.
Band aids, will definatly be plentiful and in many shapes.

please remember that this is just the troop kit, and every scout is "supposed" to carry their own kit...I know that my pfak has afterbite, and sam splint fingersplints

sorry, no demerol, I had to look it up and it doesn't look to fun! And I don't think the BSA would like us handing out narcotics to little 12 year olds who got hit by the car!!

Thank you all for the suggestions! And please feel free to ask questions about why I put what!

Don't forget to list your expiration dates on your contents list.

At the top of your list you could just put the date/item that's going to expire first. That's what we do with our crash carts in the hospital. A lot easier to keep up with.

I'm planning on doing that very thing with our household FAK / Tackle Box; a piece of tape on the outside top with the date/item first to expire so I know what to hit first.

#133492 - 05/22/08 04:01 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: samhain]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
[quote=samhain
Don't forget to list your expiration dates on your contents list.

At the top of your list you could just put the date/item that's going to expire first. That's what we do with our crash carts in the hospital. A lot easier to keep up with.

I'm planning on doing that very thing with our household FAK / Tackle Box; a piece of tape on the outside top with the date/item first to expire so I know what to hit first.
[/quote]

Yes - a good thing to do - when I rebuilt my 2 kits recently - I just made an excel spreadsheet with all the expiration dates - put the list in the kit - but also - I have a google calender account - I put a reminder in there to "ping me" when stuff was going to go bad
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#133493 - 05/22/08 04:05 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: KG2V]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

OOOH! yes, thanks for the tip!

MDinana: yes it is a basecamp kit...What do you take me for? But when we go backpacking I may make a separate, troop backpacking fak, that will be modulare, the only problem is, what if the kid with the trauma part, falls down a rock and looses his pack, but gets some gnarly wounds? PFAK maybe?

Have you seen the arrow?

#133497 - 05/22/08 11:27 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
If you go modular, I would suggest having certain key pieces duplicated across at least 2 scouts.

How many scouts would you spread this kit amongst or would you have the leaders carry the bulk of it?

Always good for each scout to have a decent PFAK. These would take care of the "normal" type of injuries with a master FAK to treat the outlying issues.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.