Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#133420 - 05/21/08 03:29 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
dweste,

Any first-aid training through the Red Cross or similar organizations are great. Check your local Vo-Tech also. Ask the guys at the fire station if they are allowed to have "outsiders" in their training sessions. You may be surprised what you can get. Ask the outdoors sports stores in the area if they are offering anything or if they would consider it. Hope this helps.

$.02

#133422 - 05/21/08 03:38 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
climberslacker,

I know you may have already thought of this. Make sure to laminate your contents list. Also, make a list of "packs" to be used based on injury or condition that is on the back of the contents list. For example; Burns - Pack A and D. "A" would be bandages and "D" would be the ointments/topicals pack. The EMTs/First Responders in the Forum would probably have much better insight to this than me. Further, familiarize everyone with how the pack is organized and used.

2 cents; with no tax.

Edited by MoBOB (05/21/08 03:40 PM)

#133424 - 05/21/08 03:44 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: MoBOB]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yeah! tax free!! So Im going to have a contents list and a list/log of what is used on whom, by whom and for what...Yes EMTs please do chime in!! (:

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133425 - 05/21/08 03:45 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
@lono

the leuko silk tape is just because I hear that it is latex free, and I don't want to kill some scout with an immediate latex allergy by taping up their wound...If you have any other ideas of latex free tapes that compare to athletic tape, please, feel free to help! (:

The REI tape I mentioned is Johnson & Johnson Zonas, standard athletic tape - "100% cotton with rubber adhesive." REI/J&J doesn't say latex free anywhere I can see it, but its $3.50 a roll...

#133426 - 05/21/08 04:29 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: MDinana]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

Respectfully disagree regarding the syringe size. The bigger syringe encourages the use of more irrigating fluid, which is mighty desirable-orthopedic surgeons can quickly run through 10 liters of irrigating fluid on a medium size wound, and nurses customarily use a liter or two on smaller wounds. Fluid pressure is not a function of the size of the syringe, it is dependent upon how hard you push down the piston and how big the opening your pushing it through. If you are irrigating road rash to remove the gravel, you need lots of pressure-that is when you put the 18 gauge iv catheter on the irrigating syringe-there was a fad a while back of using a water-pic-lots of pressure, lots of volume. 60cc syringe was always my first choice, cuz its the biggest available.

If you have room for the 60 cc syringe, keep it-it will save lots of time in drawing up fluid. You gotta be careful about the pressure with any syringe.

#133427 - 05/21/08 04:32 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
There are numerous ways to organize you supplies:

You can crate “kits” based upon injury type, such as a burn kit, laceration/cut/scrape kit, immobilization kit, major trauma kit etc. You can still have a master kit with a variety of supplies to supplement and restock the “kits”.

Advantages: This system can save time in an emergency, in that all the necessary supplies are specific for that type of situation. Others can look inside the master pack and grab the appropriate “kit”. If you have a first aid station and an injury occurs at a campsite, if you know what has happened you can grab the appropriate “kit” take it to the scene and still have a functional first aid station.

Disadvantages: Requires a fair amount preplanning and organization. You will end up with duplicate items in different “kits’ as well as the additional cost.

Master kit, will have a broad spectrum of supplies organized by supply type, i.e. bandages, dressings, wound care, medicines, etc.

Advantages: Easy to organize, little redundancy, set up correctly can be easy to use. Many commercial kits are set up like this, so tracking expatriation dates and restocking is a little easier.

Disadvantages: If you have an emergency, may become flustered looking for needed supplies and may be harder for others to find supplies. Must bring entire kit, if treating at scene and the First Aid Station out of commission.

Master kit with smaller “on-scene kits”: Same as above, with the advantage of keeping your First Aid Station in-service.

Other options:

Master kit with each individual/patrol having a smaller personal/patrol kit that is carried at all times.

#133430 - 05/21/08 05:03 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: paramedicpete]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I will probably just go with the master kit idea, for now at least, your a paramedic, so what set up do you have?

Again, thank you all for the help with finalizing the kit! Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want!

Have you seen the arrow?

#133432 - 05/21/08 05:15 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: KG2V]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Ditto the BSA donations. I know for my Eagle project (and most of my friends), most supplies got donated. All you have to do is ask! I'd suggest municipal stations instead of private ambulance companies though.

Gatorade packets are fine.

Don't forget to keep this to a mangeable size!

#133435 - 05/21/08 05:32 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: MDinana]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

yeah! of course im gonna try to keep it to a reasonable size, it will all hopefully fit in this bag !!!

Have you seen the arrow?

#133436 - 05/21/08 05:40 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: MDinana]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I would skip all the meds. Giving meds to someone else can be problematic, including Benadryl which is usually contraindicated in asthma patients. Cough drops, that contain iodine, can be problematic for those who are allergic (and they might not know it yet). Aspirin is usually contraindicated for those under 19 years old because of the potential for Reyes Syndrome. I would certainly rule out the Epinephrine that was mentioned. If someone needs it, they will have it, and young scouts would not know when it was warranted in the case of those with an undiagnosed allergy. IIRC correctly from your oral airway thread, we are talking about "non-certified" 13 year old scouts. They should not be dispensing medications. Even ones that are common and generally considered safe.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.