Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#133399 - 05/21/08 04:18 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Lono]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Are there any special storage requirements other than keep out of direct sunlight, and keep unfrozen and under 80 degrees for the epi-pen?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133400 - 05/21/08 04:30 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I don't know, I'm not allergic and don't carry one - sounds about right for epinephrene though. Everything you should ever want to know is available at http://www.epipen.com.

#133401 - 05/21/08 04:39 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Lono]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

thanks for the link! Did you know that when you inject it into your thigh, only about 10% of the epinephrine is used? I thought it was interesting anyway!

heres my "to get" list

benedryl
leuko silk tape
cough drops
sunscreen
purell
band aids
moleskin
green soap sponges
electrolyte salts
wound closure kit
irrigation syringe
sam splint

as usual feel free to comment! I don't take things badly at all! If you have some qualms with this kit then I would prefer you tell them to me now, then after I post and say that some scout is in the hospital, or worse, the morgue...

Edited by climberslacker (05/21/08 04:41 AM)

Have you seen the arrow?

#133407 - 05/21/08 12:52 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...cpr masks were quite expensive..."

If you go to your local ambulance company/fire station/law enforcement agency, in uniform would help, and explain what you are doing, you MIGHT have some supplies donated. Maybe. Before I retired I was the supply guy for that kind of thing, and I would have slipped you some stuff under the table...

#133411 - 05/21/08 01:11 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...cpr masks were quite expensive..."

If you go to your local ambulance company/fire station/law enforcement agency, in uniform would help, and explain what you are doing, you MIGHT have some supplies donated. Maybe. Before I retired I was the supply guy for that kind of thing, and I would have slipped you some stuff under the table...

Yeah - you'd be surprized how people will go out of their way to help. I've found the uniformed guys are typically more than willing to help out any "real" volunteer group - Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Heck, even SOME Ham radio operators. Hint, when I spent 12 hours with my truck parked behind the Red Cross ERV, and even took over when the ERV went to refuel, the police noticed I was serious - and they usually look down on us. Before I left, a case of flares was dropped in the bed of my truck to "replace what you used"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#133412 - 05/21/08 01:12 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Your kit is better than anything I've put together.

The one thing I would add is 2nd Skin from Spenco. Nothing works better, imo, to treat a blister. I first used these playing football decades ago. A square, some athletic tape and I was back on the field without pain. I have some in all of my kits. IMO, moleskin is from the dark ages when compared to 2nd Skin. See: http://www.spenco.com/product/704-moist-burn-pads-1nbsp12nbspxnbsp2

Edited by Dan_McI (05/21/08 01:13 PM)

#133415 - 05/21/08 02:36 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Dan_McI]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Following with great interest.

Are there recommended first aid classes and compact books to guide use of such a kit?

Thanks.

#133416 - 05/21/08 02:37 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: climberslacker

leuko silk tape
cough drops
sunscreen
purell
band aids
moleskin

Keep the sunscreen and purell outside the FAK - everyone needs sunscreen, and everyone who cooks or cleans up after a meal should use the purell. I don't eat well unless I see the cook wash his hands on hikes...

On the Second Skin in lieu of moleskin suggestion below, that's the voice of experience for ya - I haven't had a serious blister myself since before you were born climberslacker, and any Scout along on a hike shouldn't have more than one, since before the next trip they get taped up (with duct tape) over their hot spots. Second Skin does sound nice.

Leuko silk tape? I'm not sure how silk tape is priced, but the latex leuko tape is pretty expensive, you could buy alot of kit for the price of one roll. REI sells a roll of good tape for a few dollars, Sports Authority sells a bulk pack of 5 x 25 yds ankle wrapping tape for maybe $10 (though it can be a little tough to tear off). Ankles tape up just as well with either, and cheaper.

#133417 - 05/21/08 02:57 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: dweste]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Compact Guides:

http://www.nols.edu/store/product.php?productid=16485&cat=256&page=1. Backcountry Aid and Extended Care by Buck Tilton is good, seems to follow the NOLS line on most stuff.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_EB%20F100_A_name_E_A+Comprehensive+Guide+to+Wilderness+%26+Travel+Medicine+Book A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness and Travel Medicine by Eric Weiss MD is also good. Its more adventurous than the Tilton guide, will even talk you through an emergency tracheotomy if that's the only option you're left with in the wilderness.

In terms of training I say any that you can get - Red Cross is usually in your town and operates like clockwork, CPR/AED is standard and should be kept up, and their standard first aid class is okay. NOLS and the Wilderness Medicine Institute run the gamut of training, everything from 2 day intros to 2 week classes for more advanced first responders. http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/. I was impressed with how comprehensive the WMI course was, with a good balance of classroom and hands on reaction to simulations (about 40% classroom, 60% hands on). WMI typically comes to or near your town a few times a year, look at their schedule and contact them for the next course in your neck of the woods. The instruction is tailored for when you are away from emergency responders, such as 2 hours or more up a trail and hours from evac of your victim, which makes wilderness medicine a pretty good fit for post-disasters and other emergency situations. Its made me more comfortable with lots of medical situations we're likely to encounter after an earthquake for example.

#133418 - 05/21/08 03:08 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Lono]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

@lono

the leuko silk tape is just because I hear that it is latex free, and I don't want to kill some scout with an immediate latex allergy by taping up their wound...If you have any other ideas of latex free tapes that compare to athletic tape, please, feel free to help! (:

Maybe its just because I actually break in my boots before hiking, but I have never had to use moleskin or anything, but I know that many scouts don't do that.

Yes, the purell and sunscreen are definatly going to be out side of the kit.

[quote(dweste}
Following with great interest.

Are there recommended first aid classes and compact books to guide use of such a kit?

Thanks.[/quote]

Dweste, I have a few wilderness medicine books that I have read

I got this book a few years back (when it was waaay cheaper)

Emergency care and transportation of the sick and injured

This book I like because it goes in great detail about laws and such regarding wilderness medicine

Wilderness first responder

And this is also a great book...I haven't read it in a while, but it is much smaller but it has a "quik refrence" thing in the front for when you need help in an emergeny.

NOLS Wilderness Medicine

have fun, these are all great books

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.