Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#133500 - 05/22/08 12:29 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Mike_H]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I would suggest that, 'specially if you go modular and have lots of scouts carrying a part of your FAK, that you develop some type of easily opened yet secure system to seal each module, so that you can easily tell if it has been opened. Zip ties probably won't work, too time consuming to open if you need access NOW. Possibly tape zipper tabs together with "evidence tape," which can be purchased from a law enforcement source like Galls (galls.com, search for evidence tape). That way you will know if some nosey person has been digging through a module, possibly removing some vital piece of equipment.

ps: I don't own Galls, but have purchased from them many times with great service...

#133516 - 05/22/08 02:45 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Just some perspective, but we have never split up our Troop FAK, its intact in the Scoutmaster's pack even on 50 milers. All told the Troop FAK weighs about 2-2.5 lbs including the bag. I believe its currently in a recycled AMK med kit bag that folds out and provides the modular approach to organizing contents favored by so many. (You can buy the empty AMK kit bags from campmor, kinda pricey - I have also found a close out of the AMK Professional series for $99 (reg $249) that included alot of good kit, a few expiring meds, plus a hefty bag). But that's for organization not so much for efficiency, except for stopping bleeding and treating shock and hypothermia, one thing you have plenty of in the wilderness is time, no one should be rushing around with a partial kit and rushing the treatment. I've never felt having my FAK in a zip lock hindered care along the trail.

fwiw my personal FAK for 50 milers closely resembles the Troop FAK, we're effectively doubled up, but I just can't resist carrying what I think I may need. My daily carry (on hikes and outings) FAK fits in a gallon zip log bag though, and while I haven't weighed it probably is on the order of 1 lb.

#133558 - 05/22/08 09:40 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: KG2V]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
.... but also - I have a google calender account - I put a reminder in there to "ping me" when stuff was going to go bad

Ohhh, cool!

I didn't think of that!

I can plug the expiration dates in my Outlook calender.

Thanx!

#133606 - 05/24/08 01:29 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Lono]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Lono
Butterfly bandages - I'll go out on a limb here and suggest you're better off with wound closure strips and a wound treating system. . . .

I've never needed them; I have experimented with both and have found butterfly bandages does its job better at holding on to the skin.

Jeanette Isabelle

#133609 - 05/24/08 02:27 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Pics will be forth coming in another post, probably next friday-ish

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133663 - 05/24/08 11:26 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Cruised an American Red Cross site, these caught my eye:

Syrup of Ipecac (use to induce vomiting if advised by the Poison Control Center)

Activated charcoal (use if advised by the Poison Control Center)

Edited by dweste (05/25/08 12:15 AM)

#133664 - 05/24/08 11:51 PM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: dweste]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

just googled ipecac, and you don't want to know what came up! But I will look into getting some, if they have it at the drug store.

Thanks!

Have you seen the arrow?

#133667 - 05/25/08 12:27 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
just googled ipecac, and you don't want to know what came up! But I will look into getting some, if they have it at the drug store.

Based on the Wikipedia article alone, I don't think I'd mess with it:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Pediatricians once recommended Ipecac be kept in the home as a ready emetic for use in cases of accidental poisoning. Current guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics, however, strongly advise against this and in fact recommend the disposal of any syrup of Ipecac present in the home. Many toxicological associations have also issued position papers recommending against its use as a first-line treatment for most ingested poisons because:

There has been no evidence that syrup of Ipecac actually helps improve the outcome in cases of poisoning.

Administering syrup of Ipecac can delay administering more effective treatments, such as activated charcoal and/or antidotes.

The effects of the Ipecac itself can be mistaken for the effects of the poisoning.

Accidental overdose of Ipecac can result when administered in the home.

A 2005 review by an HRSA-funded scientific panel concluded that vomiting alone does not reliably remove poisons from the stomach. The study suggested that indications for use of Ipecac syrup were rare and patients should be treated by more effective and safer means. Additionally, Ipecac’s potential side effects, such as lethargy, can be confused with the poison’s effects, complicating diagnosis. Ipecac may also delay the administration or reduce the effectiveness of other treatments such as activated charcoal, whole bowel irrigation, or oral antidotes.

Jim

#133668 - 05/25/08 12:42 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Paragon]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

ooh, wow, I didn't read that article! Nevermind!

Have you seen the arrow?

#133673 - 05/25/08 02:39 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Notice the operative words there were "if advised by the Poison Control Center." So really, neither are worth carrying, and since both are liquids, it's kind of heavy.

Charcoal is great, but I don't expect many scouts to OD on something out in the woods. And if you do, well, you can MAKE charcoal. I've also heard that really, really, really burnt bread can be used as a substitute, but that could just be an urban legend.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.