Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#133373 - 05/20/08 10:39 PM Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different)
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Hey all,

as some of you might know, I have been charges with making ym troops fak, I have been asking lots and lots of questions about what should go in it and such...
well here are the contents of the kit, pics will be up later!

[drumroll]

*COMBINE PAD 5X9 STERILE
*ALCOHOL PREP PADS LARGE
*TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT
*WATER-JEL BURN LIQUID 4 OZ
*COLD PACK REG
*COBAN TAN 2'' X 5 YD
*ELASTIC WRAP LATEX FREE 3''
*EYE WASH SINGLE USE 20ML
*BLOOD STOPPING BANDAGE
*GAUZE ROLL NON-STERILE 2''
*BANDAGE ROLL STR 4 1/2 X 4 YRD
*GAUZE PADS 4 X 4
*STING RELIEF PAD
*MICROSHIELD
*BUTTERFLY MED VALUE
*NOSEBLEED PLUGS
*MEDICAL BAG NYLON(ORANGE)
*UTILITY SHEARS BLUE
*FORCEP SLANTED KIT SIZE
*FORCEP SPLINTER 4 1/2
*PENLIGHT DISPOSABLE RED
*SYRINGE IRRIGATION PISTON 60CC
*GLOVES NITRILE ECONO(SM)(100)
*CINDER SUDS FOAM SOAP
*BIOHAZARD BAGS
*IBUPROFEN TABS
*IMMODIUM A D CAPLETS 12
*ANTACID TAB
*TRIANGULAR BANDAGE 40''
*benedryl
*leuko silk tape
*cough drops
*sunscreen
*purell
*bandaids

as usual please comment on anything I should add! Thank you all! You all have had a big impact on what went into it!

Jace

Edited by climberslacker (05/20/08 11:06 PM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133379 - 05/21/08 12:02 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hey Jace,

What no Demerol???

Just kidding.... Looks good.

Especially like the eyewash idea. Needed that little bit of technology before and was damned glad to have it.

An Extractor would also be a good idea (not to be used instead of the eyewash!!) eek .

I don't know what the rest of the folks would think about a SAM splint. I keep one in my field FAK.

A CPR facemask with one way valve would also be a good (though bulky) investment. I've used microshields before and wasn't terrible impressed (I'd tell you what I really think about them but this a PG rated site).

I EDC a facemask in my fatboy.

A number of guys here (judging from the posts) also pack some pantyshields in their FAK. They make good trauma bandages and will probably make some of your fellow scouts look at you with some awe (he actually touched those things and he didn't burst into flames....). laugh

Edited by samhain (05/21/08 12:04 AM)

#133385 - 05/21/08 01:33 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Jace,

Overall I think that you've done a very thorough job with this. The following are some quick thoughts I had:

You might find that the 3.5g indivual-use Water-Gel packets are more convenient to use (and maintain sterility) than a single 4oz container.

I assume that you're planning to have more than one (20mL) eyewash? Do you also plan to have a sterile eyewash cup?

A 60cc irrigation syringe is quite large. You may wish to consider downsizing this somewhat.

I second the suggestion to add a Sawyer extractor and a CPR mask. I would also consider adding the following items:

1% Hydrocortisone (Anti-Itch Cream)
Calamine/Diphenhydramine (Poison Ivy Relief - Ivarest, etc.)
DEET Insect Repellent (although this may be stored elsewhere)
Twezers / Tick Remover (forceps are not ideal for removing splinters or ticks)
Acetaminophen and/or Aspirin
Electrolyte tablets
Petroleum jelly (chapped lips, cracked skin, etc.)
Thermometer(s) (Look into the 3M Nexcare disposables)
Super glue (works well as a temporary suture)
Moleskin/Molefoam/Blist-O-Ban (blister prevention)

Finaly, a pen/pencil and small notebook would be quite useful, as would a hands-free light source (such as a small headlight). You may also wish to include a basic or wilderness first aid guide.

The last (and often overlooked) item would be a contents list showing the initial quantities and replenish levels.

Jim

#133386 - 05/21/08 01:36 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: samhain]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Looks pretty good! I'm hoping that this list isn't including actual quantity of items?

I'd add a smaller syringe if possible (10 or 20 cc). good for irrigating wounds (filtered water is fine in the backcountry). I read somewhere that the 60cc syringe doesn't have the ideal pressure for cleaning while preserving tissues.

Maybe a SAM splint. I know BSA first aid is all about sticks and backpack straps for a splint, but seriously, that's pretty ghetto.

Also, see if your Asst scoutmasters can make it mandatory for everyone to carry After Bite. Works great on mosquitoe bites. then you don't have to pack them in the FAK.

#133387 - 05/21/08 01:55 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I think I would add a good tube of poison oak gell.

#133388 - 05/21/08 01:59 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: MDinana]
Gray Offline
Stranger

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
I work at a summer camp, and assist with the medical prep and
treatment (WFR).

I would definitely add a "Treatment Log". Record every treatment, no
matter how minor, in writing. No one wants to go to court, and this
may keep you out of it. I would place the log (Could be a simple note
book or binder) on the very top, so as to remind the user (you?) that
if you open the kit you should make a entry.

Other suggestions are good, obviously. Wilderness Medical Associates
did their test for wound irrigation with a 60cc syringe with an
18gauge tip. Or so I remember my instructor saying.

Ditch the microsheild in favor of a real CPR mask IMHO.

Add more band aids. That is what I always run out of at camp.

Perhaps some more tools for splinter extraction? Safety Pins?

I strongly second the idea of a contents list, especially if this is
to be used on more than one trip. Best suggestion on FAKs ever, IMO.

#133389 - 05/21/08 02:13 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Gray]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yes, I did plan on making an excel document with all of the contents, the quantity, how much used and for what reason, and a pen/pencil
I will definatly get poison oak/ivy/sumac stuff.
The "forceps" I get are actually tweezers that are made for splinter removal.
I will get a SAM splint and a real CPR mask, I just wanted to put everything in on one order, and the sam splints and the cpr masks were quite expensive, so will look for them in real life (as opposed to online)
Instead of electrolyte tablets I was planning on putting in some powdered Gatorade, or if I can find them not in bulk, electrolyte tablets. Would Gatorade work?
I will probably add some pj, and some Hydrocortisone cream.
Band aids, will definatly be plentiful and in many shapes.

please remember that this is just the troop kit, and every scout is "supposed" to carry their own kit...I know that my pfak has afterbite, and sam splint fingersplints

sorry, no demerol, I had to look it up and it doesn't look to fun! And I don't think the BSA would like us handing out narcotics to little 12 year olds who got hit by the car!!

Thank you all for the suggestions! And please feel free to ask questions about why I put what!

Edited by climberslacker (05/21/08 02:18 AM)
Edit Reason: the demerol bit

Have you seen the arrow?

#133393 - 05/21/08 02:39 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: MDinana]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Agree on the irrigation syringe, 60cc is a little big - 12 cc syringes are available from NOLS. Although you'll want to squirt at least a liter to irrigate any wound in the field, its best to use a smaller syringe that you can hold and direct more accurately at the wound and anything contaminating it.

What kind of roll tape do you have? At least 2 rolls here, good sturdy stuff that won't peel off without effort. Every Scout should also carry tape in their personal FAK, but I didn't notice any in this Troop FAK.

I vote for 3-4 more triangular bandages. Its not that you're going to end up with 4 Scouts with broken arms at one outing, its that they are very handy for packaging a fracture. Tie the tri bandages around the broken limb surrounding the splint material and padding, avoiding where the break occurs. It tends to take at least 3-4. Again NOLS sells some cheap muslin cravats that are pretty ideal for this. Cheap, lightweight, don't take up much space.

fwiw We found the SAM splint really only worked for arm fractures (surrounding the elbow) and maybe for a lower leg. For most other splints an inflatable sleeping pad cushioned with sweaters and t-shirts did the best. Splinting with walking sticks and backpack straps and poles will work, but you need to cushion every bit of that carefully to make it comfortable for your victim. Inflatable pads, triangular bandages, sweaters - much easier.

It looks like all your nitrile gloves are size Small - will adults use this FAK? Pack some Med or Large as well.

Double or triple up on the moleskin, gauge how much the Troop uses after the first hike or two. Same goes with all sorts of band aids - you might consider focussing on 1-2 only. fwiw I love knuckle bandaids, the cloth ones, they really cover a wound nice, and I find between that and a couple finger tip bandaids I can get by nicely.

Cinder Suds soap - not familiar with it, if its equivalent to Green Soap pads (also from NOLS - I'm beginning to sound like I work for them, sorry) then that should work fine.

Butterfly bandages - I'll go out on a limb here and suggest you're better off with wound closure strips and a wound treating system, something like this (from NOLS of course) - http://www.nols.edu/store/product.php?productid=16259&cat=266&page=2. There are at least a few major advantages to the wound treatment system - its more compact than any other bandaging system for open cuts, buy one and hold it up next to what you expect to treat a wound with conventionally and you'll see what I mean; at $4 its pretty inexpensive (not cheap, but not expensive); its meant to be applied and stay on the wound for days, or until healed. If you treat conventionally you need to pull the bandage, retreat, and reapply the bandage or new bandage at least once a day. On day 2 of a 5 day hike that's kind of inconvenient and will suck the bottom out of your FAK supplies pretty quick. You can still pull up the wound treatment bandage but don't have to unless you notice some infection to treat, which you can see through the window on the bandage itself. I had a chance to put the wound closure strips on a gash on my wrist which might have required a stitch or two, it healed very nicely and now I only have a dainty scar.

Ditto on the paper and pencil and FAK book (compact) to go with this. You'll need to make notes on your victim, and have that ready to communicate to rescuers. Good FAKs come with 2-3 pages filled out with vital info to collect. Get a smaller pencil from a local golf course, they don't break easily and last a while. The FAK book is your entertainment, reading for rainy days in the tent and just before lights out - you never know when you'll be expected to treat what happens on page 32.

Headlamp in lieu of the penlight - you'd end up holding a penlight in your mouth. It doesn't inspire confidence in your victim. If you don't have one already Doug Ritter makes a headlamp for $15.95 that should be an EDC.

Make sure your Scout Leaders poll the troop to find out who has any allergies, especially to bee venom, then make sure they carry an epipen or two when participating in *any* outdoor Troop event (especially bbqs). Then make sure everyone (or at least you) know where they carry it. You won't have alot of time to dick around in someone's pack looking for it if they are stung. You will want to know how to inject it, instructions are on the epipen. After one injection, get some benadryl (anti-histamine) down them as quickly as you can, and prepare to give them the second epipen injection. I favor liquid or melting tape type benadryl on the off chance they are having breathing problems and have trouble chewing and swallowing - but frankly I've only had to administer once, so I can't say its positively any better (it is a little more expensive in liquid or gelcap form).

Good Troop FAK climberslacker! Be prepared to adjust and improvise and even throw away something against the advice of us old farts. Newer better first aid items come along all the time.

#133394 - 05/21/08 03:03 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: Lono]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Thanks, the gloves were medium size(I hope)
the itemised list, does not have the quantity of things going in the kit, as I have yet to work that out, but I ordered 4 triangular bandages at like 50 cents each

I love that wound closure kit, will preobably place an order with NOLS now (my dad will hate you, don't worry), The penlight is more for checking for pupil response then for lighting up the scene, everyone in my troop has headlamps, but I have one I will add the the kit.

Yes, I will poll the troop and see how many people are allergic to bees, I am very familiar with the use of the epi-pen as I made sure I looked it up in my emt book that I have, and use as a refrence guide, and a text book.

Have you seen the arrow?

#133396 - 05/21/08 03:26 AM Re: Troop First Aid Kit (agian... but different) [Re: climberslacker]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Try to talk your Dad into placing a larger order - if you only order the one wound closure kit it will end up a $10 kit after shipping and handling. Go wild, order up an irrigation syringe, a couple green soap pads, some second skin burn stuff, won't add up to much but will spread the shipping and handling around to more things. The $15 First Aid restock pack is a good value too. I don't think NOLS get rich off their first aid stuff, so I don't mind shilling for them from time to time.

I figured as much on the pen light - I had one too, the one time I needed it I pulled it out and the battery was dead. You can check pupil reactions with any light including your standard headlamp (no need to pack one in the FAK if you keep on EDC in your pocket).

Don't let a victim with a bee sting turn on you - we treated a Scout and two of the adults thought one epipen was enough, didn't realize he had to have benadryl, fast, and thought I was being cruel administering the second epipen. Its epipen just to clear the airway enough to administer antihistamine, then (hopefully) just one more epipen and continued benadryl per dosage instructions. Then evacuate, its really difficult to anticipate losing the airway to the histamine reaction but its always a possibility.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.