Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#133614 - 05/24/08 04:59 AM Re: Economic Approach: Fire Yourself [Re: dougwalkabout]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Martin: sheep eat grass, goats eat brush.

Unimogbert: "It seemed that the family members pretty much just continued as before"... only because they were allowed to do so.

Thseng: Why spend money on private school when your wife isn't working? There are about 3 million families in America who are homeschooling. It is legal in all 50 states. If your wife can read, she can teach. There are all kinds of programs that can help... Health care billing errors? What's wrong, do you hate being charged for baby paraphenalia (bassinette, diapers, mobile, etc) when you go in for a cracked wrist?

BigDaddyTX: "My only beef with Goodwill is that I feel like they mark some things up too much." That's no joke! My local one tends to have used stuff priced double that of the exact same stuff new. The only time you get a real deal there is if you find something that they don't know what it is or what it's for.

Taurus: You're funny! No earthquakes?
...June 23, 1946.....Vancouver Island...............7.3
...August 22, 1949...Near Queen Charlotte Islands...8.1
...July 10, 1958.....Alaska/B.C. border.............7.9
...June 24, 1970.....So.of Queen Charlotte Islands..7.4
...Dec. 20, 1976.....West of Vancouver Island.......6.7
...Feb. 28, 1979.....Yukon/Alaska border............7.2
...Dec. 17, 1980.....West of Vancouver Island.......6.8
...Dec. 23, 1985.....Mackenzie region, NWT..........6.9
...Nov. 12, 1988.....Saguenay region, Quebec........6.0

"Very few dangerous animal species"?
Well, let's see... you've got people (#1 for dangerous), grizzly bears, people, wolverines, and people.

One of the first rules of survival: be [more] aware of your surroundings.

But you certainly do have a BEAUTIFUL country!

BobS: "...but for a real emergency you will get very high grade medical help regardless of coverage." Not always. I was in shock and on my way to bleeding to death, and the doctor was seeing broken wrists and dog bites first. 'Wait your turn, Sweetie!' My neighbor recently had surgery and nearly DID bleed to death, all because they couldn't put the staples in properly and they couldn't be bothered to do proper monitoring. A young woman who weighed about 90 lbs was accidentally given a double dose of morphine meant for the dying man in the next room.

Piece of advice to all: Anytime you are billed for medical care (hospital esp), immediately request an itemized list of charges they are asking you to pay and the codes to decipher them. You will probably be charged for things that had nothing to do with your problem. And it annoys them incredibly!

Sue

#133643 - 05/24/08 07:14 PM Re: Economic Approach: Fire Yourself [Re: Alex]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Alex
It might cost you something near to nothing. You can improve the situation with just properly utilized paper... Check google for hints and tips on that.

Can you be a little more specific there?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#133644 - 05/24/08 07:18 PM Re: Economic Approach: Fire Yourself [Re: dougwalkabout]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I live in an 80-year-old farmhouse, so I understand the reluctance to spend a lot of money on an old structure.

Thanks for the tips. The windows are old wooden ones but they have aluminum storm windows that help a lot. Replacing them would be a good idea but a lot of these window companies smell like a ripoff.

The main problem is the "balloon" construction w/ no insulation in most of the walls.

#133645 - 05/24/08 07:21 PM Re: Economic Approach: Fire Yourself [Re: Susan]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Susan
Thseng: Why spend money on private school when your wife isn't working? There are about 3 million families in America who are homeschooling. It is legal in all 50 states. If your wife can read, she can teach. There are all kinds of programs that can help... Health care billing errors? What's wrong, do you hate being charged for baby paraphenalia (bassinette, diapers, mobile, etc) when you go in for a cracked wrist?

It is more often being billed for the right thing but submitted the wrong way. About 20% of the time they even send it to the wrong insurance company!

#133653 - 05/24/08 09:36 PM Re: Economic Approach: Fire Yourself [Re: Susan]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
One of the first rules of survival: be [more] aware of your surroundings.

Ha! we shut my mouth I guess. I have NEVER heard tell of a quake here except off the coast. As far as being aware of my surroundings I have never heard tell of a Quake in my area, never seen a live wolverine, and the only bears I have seen were through the sights of my rife mostly. I have never felt endangered by one. Like ace said, give them their respect and they will(mostly) do the same. As for people, they are dangerous by default.

You still get stuck with Celine Dion though. ha

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.