The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#131788 - 05/01/08 07:52 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: ironraven]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Well. now I am being sued by a creditor. So much for working out payments.

And I just got formal notice of foreclosure unless I can get even by early July. So much for negotiating an extended time to pay, temporary payment hiatus, or lower payment or interest rate.

Okay, that's their move. Now I have to consider mine.

I guess I shoud talk to a bankruptcy lawyer to see what options are available, and what happens if I just let everything go without any legal response.

I'm shaking off the negatives, but it is getting harder to do and I'm having to do it more often. Maybe I'll go see a counselor, too, for some ideas about how to handle, or let go, the stress, worry, anger, shame, etc.

It is just business, I guess.

Thanks for your encouraging words.

#131790 - 05/01/08 08:00 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Worst thing to do is nothing. See someone that can give you ideas on your options, and call up a friend to talk.

#131855 - 05/02/08 12:07 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Nishnabotna]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
To give yourself a little breathing room, you can self-initiate a bankruptcy filing, preferably a chapter 13. This provides an automatic stay against all legal actions by creditors until a bankruptcy hearing has occurred. I think you then have up to 90 days to come up with a solution, or develop the chapter 13 to fruition. Even if you don't get a suitable filing developed and it gets rejected, you can refile and get another 90 day stay. Twice around the block is all I'd recommend, but you should be able to figure something out with an additional 6 months to work with.

It is a tough pill to swallow, and bankruptcies are not so easy to obtain these days as they were a decade ago. Even though you are broke, you should still seek professional legal advice.

#133217 - 05/18/08 09:35 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: benjammin]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Finding courage

My situation is challenging my ability to summon courage, especially for the repetitive small tasks like opening letters from creditors I cannot pay, calling tax authorities I cannot pay, etc..

I feel like I am being slowly ground down. Surely this cannot be an unusual human challenge in survival situations.

What are some of the practices known to be helpful when the very real wolf is at the door, over and over again?

Thanks.

#133345 - 05/20/08 04:29 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: dweste
Well. now I am being sued by a creditor. So much for working out payments.

And I just got formal notice of foreclosure unless I can get even by early July. So much for negotiating an extended time to pay, temporary payment hiatus, or lower payment or interest rate.

Okay, that's their move. Now I have to consider mine.

I've represented people suing others for collection and all kinds of matters. Most lawyers and clients who are looking to recover money don't ever think they are going to recover 100%, especially when you are dealing with businesses seeking to collect bills.

Filing suit is one of the things they can do. If you are considering bankruptcy, tehn telling the creditors that is one thing that may lead them to accept a lower amount.

#133351 - 05/20/08 05:12 PM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Dan_McI]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Don't forget how to tell if a collector is lying: If his mouth is moving, he's lying. Get it in writing!

And don't ever give them electronic access to you bank account - They've been known to tell you they are going to withdraw the agreed amount and then "accidentally" clean you out. Naturally, it takes a few weeks/months/year to correct these types of mistakes.

Edited by thseng (05/20/08 05:13 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#133793 - 05/27/08 11:20 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: thseng]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Many garage sales in my short term future. Told the cat he is probably going to be adopted. Shrink says situational depression is pretty normal and will be temporary. Focusing like heck on the endless possibilities opened up by starting over.

#133863 - 05/28/08 12:13 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Susan]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Susan
Of course, you could probably always get a job working for a collection agency. They're probably very busy these days. smirk

I don't believe that is a good idea. I would rather pick fruit with people who don't speak English than work for a collection agency.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134005 - 05/29/08 03:16 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I think you can ship the cat to Blast. I;m sure he wouldn't mind taking care of it until you are back on your feet.

Even though I am not a cat fan, having a pet around may help you a little bit. If you can afford the food and hygiene requirements maybe you can keep the critter. I hope you can.

#134021 - 05/29/08 06:26 AM Re: Facing foreclosure [Re: dweste]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Originally Posted By: dweste
Many garage sales in my short term future. Told the cat he is probably going to be adopted. Shrink says situational depression is pretty normal and will be temporary. Focusing like heck on the endless possibilities opened up by starting over.

dweste,
I wish i was in my new place right now because I would be willing to foster your cat until you can get back on your feet again..
then again your shrink might be willing to write you a prescription for the cat as a "companion animal". So if you do move somewhere that doesn't allow animals they will *have* to allow it due to ADA regs.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.