Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133206 - 05/18/08 06:57 PM WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepared"
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
On the first page of today's Washington Post op-ed section. The placement is certainly a positive. It's concise. Doesn't get much into how one should prepare but makes the case that everyone should be. You'd think DC citizenry would be all over this stuff, but few are. One of the root problems of the failed Hurricane Katrina evacuation was the fact that so many people in New Orleans didn't own cars. The percentage of DC residents who don't own cars is significantly higher. So many people I know here rely on the subway system and zip.car to rent a car for a couple hours to do errands. Good luck finding one of those in a crisis. I won't be inclined to pick up hitchhikers. And I won't have any room.

ASLEEP AT THE SWITCH
It's an Emergency. We're Not Prepared.

By John D. Solomon
Sunday, May 18, 2008; Page B01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...id=opinionsbox1

excerpts:

"Even after Sept. 11, 2001, even after Hurricane Katrina, a Red Cross survey last year found that 93 percent of Americans aren't prepared for a major calamity -- a natural disaster, a pandemic or a terrorist attack. This is troubling, because the more prepared a population is, the more effective the response to and recovery from a catastrophe will be."

"Readying the public for the likely emergencies of the 21st century may be one of the most complex social-education challenges the nation has faced. Americans have to prepare for a range of threats, many of which the government can neither describe nor predict. Says George Foresman, former undersecretary for preparedness with the Department of Homeland Security, "There's no playbook for any of us to go by."

"History has shown that individuals will rise to the occasion in an emergency. But offering them the information, training, technology, support and encouragement to prepare in advance means that they'll be in the best position to help themselves, their families and their community if -- but probably when -- that emergency arrives.

jsolomon@incaseofemergencyblog.com

John D. Solomon is writing a book about emergency preparedness and blogs at www.incaseofemergencyblog.com.
[b][/b]

Edited by TS_Shawn (05/18/08 06:59 PM)

#133210 - 05/18/08 08:42 PM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepared" [Re: TS_Shawn]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I know that my county (SW FL) holds it's school bus drivers to be "essential personel" during an emergency (ie hurricane) and as such are required to stay 'in county' when TSHTF. They have it set up so that the busses can be used for those who can't drive. Our county commissioners are very proactive in the emergency preparedness area.

#133235 - 05/19/08 01:08 AM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepar [Re: ]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
you want an example of poor planning when i asked my local authority about it's emergency plans they said all they had where plans drawn up in 1957. i know we don't have Hurricanes here in the UK but the stiff upper lip only goes so far.

#133240 - 05/19/08 02:06 AM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepar [Re: TS_Shawn]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
What is needed is money and the willingness to think about something unpleasant. Stocks of things like potable water aren't as sexy as a federal office building named after some Congresscritter, so there is no special request for it. And you can scare people into thinking you are doing something hush-hush like bioweapons easier than actually do something about actually figuring out how to evacuate a half million people in 48 hours.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#133290 - 05/19/08 10:04 PM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepar [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: ironraven
What is needed is money and the willingness to think about something unpleasant. Stocks of things like potable water aren't as sexy as a federal office building named after some Congresscritter, so there is no special request for it. And you can scare people into thinking you are doing something hush-hush like bioweapons easier than actually do something about actually figuring out how to evacuate a half million people in 48 hours.

Maybe the plan is to wait 48 hours after the bioweapons, to help decrease the traffic on the road? eek

We were talking about this today in my psychiatry treatment team (no, I'm on the treating, not treated, side). Where does "preparing" become "paranoia" in today's (USA) environment? No firm answers, but kind of an interesting back-and-forth with the attending and resident.

#133297 - 05/19/08 11:49 PM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepar [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Everyone is paranoid, everyone had phobias, everyone has neurosis, everyone has fetishes, everyone has... ad nasuem.

It becomes medically significant when it interferes with your ability to live and function in society. When you make the choice to prepare for XYZ rather than put food on the table and pay the rent, it isn't healthy. Until then, it is a hobby.

Put another way, if you go through a case of beer a month, you like beer. If you go through a case a day, you have a problem. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#133306 - 05/20/08 12:53 AM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepar [Re: ironraven]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Everyone is paranoid, everyone had phobias, everyone has neurosis, everyone has fetishes, everyone has... ad nasuem.

It becomes medically significant when it interferes with your ability to live and function in society. When you make the choice to prepare for XYZ rather than put food on the table and pay the rent, it isn't healthy. Until then, it is a hobby.

Put another way, if you go through a case of beer a month, you like beer. If you go through a case a day, you have a problem. :P

OR, you just really like beer ???
wink wink

#133410 - 05/21/08 01:10 PM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepared" [Re: CJK]
red Offline

Florida's responses are very impressive! Would that all states were so prevention/preparation minded.

In my state, CERT is a big deal. Through our church they encourage us to take the class. I know CERT isn't that in-depth, but at least it serves to organize an incident response team to be able to take some load off of the professionals. And, as we've seen countless times, that first 48 to 72 hours, the professionals may not be around.

#133441 - 05/21/08 06:08 PM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepared" [Re: CJK]
m9key Offline

Loc: florida
yes i concur,i am considered part of the oil/gas infrastructure therefore it is frowned upon if i am not available during a hurricane situation..... it is utmost importance my company keep oil and gas distribution going in sofla with that mentioned every oil company has made more than enough preps back up gens... so when the lights go out we can keep delivering..............

Edited by m9key (05/21/08 09:46 PM)

#133486 - 05/22/08 03:16 AM Re: WP: "Asleep At the Switch -- We're Not Prepared" [Re: m9key]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Preparedness is good. I think everyone should prepare as well as they can. But, nobody is ever really prepared. In the end you prepare for the wrong events, your carefully stored reserves are lost or you simply can't get to them.

Plans are broken and you end up having to patch and fit and cover the gaps with whatever remains. Your ingenuity and ability to improvise and adapt will be your greatest asset.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.