Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133136 - 05/17/08 04:07 PM You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
This morning (2:20 am), 6 RR cars derailed in Lafayette, La. 2 cars are leaking Hydrochloric Acid. Residents within 1 mile are being (have been) evacuated. I am once again am my DW's hero because she has everything that she needs, including BoB's.

#133140 - 05/17/08 04:47 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: wildman800]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Bless your heart wildman.

Glad your family's ok.

Got me re-thinking how I got stuff arranged and organized around here. I'm a good 8 miles from a RR line. Been so focused on hurricanes and plants going ka-bluey (sp?) didn't think much about the RR lines which are closer than the plants.

#133141 - 05/17/08 04:49 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: wildman800]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It is always good to play the hero.

As one lady pointed out: 'It's a good thing your useful. Your not pretty enough to keep around as decoration.'

It pays to be handy. Keep up the good work.

#133148 - 05/17/08 07:54 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: ]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
What's a stopar? confused

#133157 - 05/17/08 11:27 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Good to know you folks were able to get clear.

I'm glad I have a girlfriend who keeps a cat carrier on top of her tote of "evacuate stuff", and EDCs a flashlight and a multi. smile It's kinda funny- she carries a backpack, I carry a "purse".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#133175 - 05/18/08 09:07 AM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Glad you and yours are alright, wildman.

There are train tracks that are approximately 200 yards from where I sleep. I thought it was only the commuter rail when I first moved here, but since I have seen cargo go barreling through.

#133188 - 05/18/08 01:47 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: Paragon]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Should be "stobor"

Robert Heinlein used it thusly:

(DANG IT!! WHO TOOK MY COPY OF TUNNEL IN THE SKY!!)

...hold on, have to ebook this one...

SOLO SURVIVAL TEST

Recall Instructions

1. You must pass through the door ahead in the three minutes allowed you before another candidate is started through. An overlapping delay will disqualify you.

2.Recall will be by standard visual and sound signals. You are warned that the area remains hazardous even after recall is sounded.

3.The exit gate will not be the entrance gate. Exit may be as much as twenty kilometers in the direction of sunrise.

4. There is no truce zone outside the gate. Test starts at once. Watch out for stobor. Good luck!

...basically, a warning to watch out for the unknown. Stobor is robots spelled backwards, obviously.

Also interesting about Tunnel In The Sky: Heinlein invented the Camelback in it:

Rod put on his vest pack of rations and sundries, fastened his canteen under it. It was a belt canteen of flexible synthetic divided into halflitre pockets. The weight was taken by shoulder straps and a tube ran up the left suspender, ending in a nipple near his mouth, so that he might drink with out taking it off. He planned, if possible, to stretch his meager supply through the whole test, avoiding the hazards of contaminated water and the greater hazards of the water hole assuming that fresh water could be found at all.

#133191 - 05/18/08 02:17 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: NeighborBill]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
Should be "stobor"

Robert Heinlein used it thusly:

4. There is no truce zone outside the gate. Test starts at once. Watch out for stobor. Good luck![/i]

...basically, a warning to watch out for the unknown. Stobor is robots spelled backwards, obviously.

Thanks.

Jim

#133198 - 05/18/08 03:25 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: Paragon]
Hookpunch Offline

Heinlein was a big advocate of disaster prep. Tunnel in the Sky as I recall has some information on the usefulness of knife in a survival situation.

It makes sense considering he wrote that book around the height of the cold war, I think he also had a fall out shelter on his premises.

As I recall he also had a non-fiction article listing a bunch of skills that would come in handy, including the butchering of wild game.

#133209 - 05/18/08 07:24 PM Re: You Never Know When The Stopar Arrives... [Re: Hookpunch]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
It's a Lazarus Long quote--pick up a copy of the "Notebooks of Lazarus Long" and be entertained in between giggles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 219 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.