The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#132752 - 05/13/08 04:14 PM Re: Best tape? [Re: JIM]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I generally prefer 1" wide 3M Durapore silk surgical tape as it sticks very well, is latex free, hypoallergenic, tears easily, and has a very smooth finish allowing clothing to be taken on and off without rolling back the tape.

Jim

#132753 - 05/13/08 04:35 PM Re: Best tape? [Re: ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Can latex allergies be lethal?

Absolutely!

Pete

#132755 - 05/13/08 04:55 PM Re: Best tape? [Re: paramedicpete]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Thanks Pete...I'm going to replace any latex in my SAR FAK right away!

#132773 - 05/13/08 07:03 PM Re: Best tape? [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Quote:
Allergy to latex comes in two different forms. One form is called a "delayed hypersensitivity" which is usually seen as a skin rash at the site where the latex product contacts the skin. This rash can be quite severe. A more dangerous form of latex allergy is an "immediate reaction" to latex. This is also referred to as anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can result in seriously low blood pressure, breathing difficulty, and even death. Some patients can experience irritation of the nasal passages similar to hay fever (allergic rhinitis). For further information, please read the Allergic Rhinitis article.

To detect the delayed hypersensitivity reaction, latex, its preservatives and accelerators are placed on the skin using a standard patch test. Caution is used because an immediate reaction is possible with patch testing. To detect an immediate reaction, a blood test and skin test is available. With latex allergy, the blood test is performed first because of the potential severe reaction.

from here

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#132776 - 05/13/08 07:24 PM Re: Best tape? [Re: climberslacker]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

2 inch,white,Kendall Wet Pruf..great stuff,i use it as a
repair tape instead of duct tape,,

#132815 - 05/14/08 01:05 AM Re: Best tape? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
OK - first - kerlix is the gauze that goes UNDER the stuff that looks like an ACE bandage. The stretch bandage that most of you are thinking of is Coban (brand name) or other "conformal" tape

Interestingly, when you do some searches on them, there are actually at LEAST 2 kinds "short stretch" and "Long Stretch". From what I understand, the short stretch stuff is MOSTLY used/available in the UK - My leg MD is actually thinking of bringing in some stuff from England for my wound if I don't respond to what is going on right now (profore quad layer wrapping)

As for Tape, as I'm often doing "Non first aid" wound care, I love, and carry 2 rolls of 2" Micropore brown paper tape. I've found it the most comfortable, but as others have said, this is NOT really for first aid. The MD MIGHT use it when he's done patching you up, but...

For securing the ends of kerlix and the like, I have a roll of fairly generic 2" Cloth tape - the current roll is by Medline, but that's because it's what the wound care supply company sent in the box.

Just to give you an idea of what is out there in wound care:
http://www.bandagesplus.com/catmain.php?xCat=51

Leg ulcers are the LARGEST cause of "Lost time" disabilities in the USA. (More than Bad Backs/Neck pain). I go through wound care supplies at a rate that would probably shock some of you. To give you a hint - at least 2x/week - a set of idosorb pads, then a roll of Kerlix, then a profore set ( http://www.jrsmedical.com/COMPRESSION_BANDAGES/UNS66020016/product.aspx ) - plus some 4x4s - some weeks, I can't tolerate compression, so remove the profore, and add in 6 4x4 bandages - twice a week, at least - sometimes twice a day.

Besides my first aid kit etc - I carry a wound care kit with me - a bag 14x6x5 (and getting a new one) - the kit is full, with stuff "I MIGHT need before I go home" One box of 25 4x4s, one box of 3 layer 4x4 non sick pads (10). One or 2 boxes of Idoflex pads (wound treatment gel), 3 rolls of tape (2 paper, one cloth), a bottle of Advil, a bottle of Prescription pain pills, 2 bottles of antibiotics (augmentum and Bactrim), Benydril, Dakin's Solution, Lanacane (which you have to be real careful with, as it can cause capillary overgrowth) and 2 pairs of EMT shears

BTW I hope NONE of you ever have to learn all about this stuff. When you've been in enough pain to be taking Vicodan AND Advils for 11 straight months (except every once in a while - now up to about 1x/week - the pains stops for a few hours), you're NOT a happy camper. From what I can gather, at 11 months in, I'm a "newbie" - there are documented cases of this lasting MORE than 60 years - and something like 2.5 years is average.
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#132838 - 05/14/08 05:46 AM Re: Best tape? [Re: KG2V]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
You mind taking a few pics of the wound-care kit kc2ixe?

#132839 - 05/14/08 06:33 AM Re: Best tape? [Re: JIM]
Gills Offline
Stranger

hi all, thanks for the warm welcome, i forgot to mention that am in the Philippines so the brands that are available in your countries might be slightly different.....
am not familiar with the other brand names, but the one we use which i have seen first hand what it is capable of...(completely drenched in saliva, fluids, urine,and a few other fluids that are more difficult to explain... hehehe) and still sticking to itself and the dog.... and it does retard bacterial growth to a certain degree... the brand that we use is called "universal" which is made in China (i think)have been doing some research and found several on line... I have had the unpleasant experience before of a similar "waterproof" tape unraveling when it was licked.. so I'd recommend trying a few out before committing to one. i get mine like this:

imed: zincoxide
in tubes which you can cut the tape to the size you may need... another bonus is that the center of the tape is a hard white plastic tube which you can use for several things ( we use them as neck braces/ feather picking deterrents for large parrots) grin but there are so many other uses.. especially in a survival situation....
another tape we use that might be interesting to every one is a product called 3m vetwrap
3m vetwrap

(i know.... i know... its labeled for horses.... hehehe)
its a breathable bandage that only sticks to itself and will not stick to skin or other substances.. it can be used with gauze to
cover up minor scrapes and scratches and will not retard the healing proces as regular bandages do.. since the wound can "breathe...
hehehe...
if you have any questions please send them along as I am more than happy to help ( if i can)
p.s. am not affiliated with either company and this is based on my personal experience.

#132856 - 05/14/08 01:41 PM Re: Best tape? [Re: Gills]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

3M Vetbond is a good skin glue--i have it in my kit..

#132941 - 05/15/08 02:19 AM Re: Best tape? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Athletic tape is my all-purpose first-aid tape. Strong, strong adhesive, water resistant. Clean the skin with alcohol before application and you can use it as butterflies, hold IV tubing, ET tubes, assemble splints and bind sprains.

In mass casualty situations a six-pack of athletic tape goes pretty far. An alternative is a good contractor grade of duct tape or grip tape. You can do any taping with these general-purpose tapes.

I have used electrical tape but it was only because I had it close to hand. The black stick-um gets pretty messy.

If the person has an allergy I get old-school and don't use tape. Safety pins, triangle bandages and knowing how to tear gauze wraps so it has tails and tying it off makes a workable bandage with no risk of allergic reaction. A well tied bandage is often more resistant to movement and water than what you can do with any tape.

Superglue is good to have around. I like the liquid stuff that comes with a brush. Just don't spill it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.